“low quality”

Ranked #128 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Montreal, Canada
“low quality”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Just like many other customers, the room wasn't what I booked. I actually booked at Macau hotel but the manager told me that the room was taken already and that he moved me to this ''beautiful hotel next to the water'' . What a piece of [--] lie. The room was small and dirty, to say the least. The staff were nice and helpful though. The hotel is surrounded with massage places. If you like this kind of places, this is your place. If not, don't go there.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank kimly13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Thai first
Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I've just finished a 3 night stay at the hotel. It's an ok hotel for the money but not great. The hotel is a bit out of the centre of the city but it's around a 5 min tuk tuk ride costing $2US to get to all the bars & restaurants. The hotel itself has an ok bar and the staff are friendly & try to help with any queries but like most people here they do try to sell tours or bus rides but it's not a hard sell. The rooms are quite big but mine had no window and the Internet wasn't great. They say they have a safe in the room but the safe is at the reception behind the bar. The free breakfast is better than some places with about 5 things on the menu to choose from but it is a pretty small breakfast when it actually comes.
Overall it's a decent place for the money but if I was coming back I would choose a place closer to the city.

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank RK3006
Phanith, Manager at Diamond Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013

Warmest Greeting from Diamond Palace Hotel, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

We are very appreciated and sincerely thanks for your valued time to express our hotel properties and services on (www.tripadvisor.com) community from your true feeling and satisfaction. We will try to keep our services standard for our other customers as well. we hopefully that we will have a chance to having your stay with us again and again in the near future !

Wish you have a good luck and trips to everywhere in the world.

Best regards,

Holy Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2011

This wasn't the hotel I booked in Phnom Penh. I'd booked the Macau Hotel, but the manager there had given our room to someone else, so we were relocated here instead.

I wasn't very happy as the rooms here are a lower price, so was expecting either a refund of some sort or an upgrade to a better room. I received neither.

Our first night was spent in an awful room with no window. To say it was compact would be an understatement. To open the wardrobe door, you had to stand on the bed as there wasn't enough floor space.This is their "standard" room.

We had been promised a better room for the rest of our stay and true to their word it was waiting for us when we arose the next day. This was their "superior" room. It was a much bigger room with a window and a couch and plenty of floor space.

The wifi was slow but worked ok. The website I booked through advertised that the rooms had a 32" TV, whereas they actually had old 21" TVs, so take the room descriptions with a pinch of salt.

The staff were friendly enough and helpful and the food was good and only about a dollar more than downtown, so not expensive. If you do decide to stay here, don't rely on the travel information you get from the manager. He's a nice enough guy, but doesn't seem to know that much. We asked about 60 day Thai visas and he told us they didn't do them in Phnom Penh. We went a travel agent who got us the visas within 3 days. He also told us there was no bus to Siem Reap at 12.30pm on the day we left, even though I already had the tickets in my pocket.

If I had paid the booking price for this hotel, I wouldn't really have much to complain about. It's fair for the price. Unfortunately I paid more for a different hotel and received no refund, so not overly impressed.

If you're into the "massage" scene, then this is handy as it's surrounded by them. If you're not, I'd pick somewhere else.

Wherever you end up in Phnom Penh, I hope you enjoy the city and the people as much as I did.

Happy Holidays !

Room Tip: Standard rooms have no window. We stayed in room 105 and it was nice (with window)
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Banksyboy

Warmest Greeting from Diamond Palace Hotel, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Wish you have a good luck and trips to everywhere in the world.

Best regards,

Reviewed 6 December 2011

Arrived paid good money for superior room as on web and hotel leaflet never delivered room was small bathroom ok. Staff called manager he said that's all he had checked web they had all room available but no change of room. Seem staff lie as manager tells them to but they are very pleasant. Wifi keeps disconnecting on iPod so not very good

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Locin1

Travellers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Bangkok
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I have tried many hotels in Phnom Penh as I come often for work. I checked this one in Agoda and the pictures looked so nice that I decided to book and pay in advance a Deluxe room for 5 nights.

When I arrive, the manager told me: Sorry Sir, your room has a problem with the plumbing, so we have to downgrade you to a superior. No refund or anything. Policy of the hotel. Well, what could I do, it was only one night yea?

The following day, I got up and when I left my room that was opposite to the Deluxe that I have booked, I saw another guest leaving the room with his luggage.

So I went to down to ask if my room was ready, and the manager (of the morning shift) tells me that the room is ready. I asked again, problem solved? She said: yes the Aircon has been fixed... (they don't even have the same lie ready...)

I have booked and paid for 5 nights in a deluxe room that has a balcony to the front of the building and the Sothearos Blvd, which makes it the noisiest room I have ever tried to sleep. I am a heavy sleeper, but those 5 nights were difficult and they turn on the "ambiance music" at 6 am!!!! Wtf....

There are plenty of good hotels in town for that budget without this bad management and where you can sleep.

By the way, many guests complain that when they book the cheapest room (standard) they find out that ... oh! there is no window! Well, make yourself a favor and go to a better hotel.

Pictures do not reflect actual condition. Management are liars who tell you a lie in the eye, and when you tell them that you know there was not a problem with the room, they just continue: yes sir, problem with the aircon...

But all this is my fault for trust agoda reviews, and for pay in advance. NEVER NEVER buy or pay anything in advance in this region.

Good luck!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank aldonbkk
Reviewed 30 July 2011

On our trip to Cambodia we stayed at many small hotels in this price range and none compared to the quality of the Diamond Palace. The room was spacious, with a humongous bathroom (I stayed in a room with a window, this is the best option as the rooms w/out windows feel like tiny boxes). The room was pretty clean, with the exception that one time the sheets did not appear to be washed-or they were already stained? Only complaint is that the drinks are very overpriced by Phnom Penh standards-2.50 for a mediocre ice coffee and 1.50 for a water! No thanks. On the whole though good value for money-definitely not a luxury hotel but in a class of it's own.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank LASog
Dear Value Guest,

Warmest greeting from Diamond Palace Hotel & Restaurant!

I am delighted that you enjoyed outstanding service extended by our colleagues. Thank you for taking the time to recommend us on Trip Advisor. We all look forwards to welcoming you back to Phnom Penh at Diamond Palace Hotel again.

With personal regards,

Texas
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The hotel was really adequate, but flawed - had wireless, had a desk (but not good outlets), had a safe (but didn't work the first day), had a restaurant (but food only so-so). Bed was ok and the place felt safe, so if on a budget, this is ok.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business