“Excellent Guest house, would suit people looking at hotels but want some thing a little more friendly.”

Lone Star Saloon Bar and Guest House
Ranked #30 of 333 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Stayed here in July. Found this place very good indeed. Great location with excellent food and drinks downstairs in the bar. The rooms are very large, almost apartment size. Very clean and with a safe, flat screen tv and fast Wi Fi. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Good Tuk Tuk driver outside. better than the hotels I normally use. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank TimKiwi

Reviewed 12 July 2012

I travelled to Phnom Penh in February with a friend and we were not disappointed by Lone Star. each and every person working there (all family i'm sure - or close enough) were fantastic even those who couldnt understand our exceptionally strong Irish accents.
We had a street facing room and never really found ANY problem with the noise from the road. Our room was absolutely huge the only downside to this was the air conditioning could not quite keep the room to the arctic conditions we are used to but it really didnt matter too much.
The hospitality we encountered was like no other and I would reccommend anyone to stay here.
The bar is so much fun to stay in because not only will you meet some characters but the girls painted our nails and we tasted some of their "snacks" also on our last day there we arrived in with a drink we found in an Irish bar you cant get in Asia and they not only provided glasses and Ice they even tried some!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Evie142
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed here back in January and found this place very good. Handy location with food and drink downstars. The rooms were large, clean and had great Wi Fi. We found the staff and management very friendly and helpful.

You would expect noise being above a bar, we heard nothing. It was very a peaceful stay.

We will be back.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Thrifty69
Reviewed 27 June 2012

It's a friendly run establishment that treats you like your one of them. The owners wife will go out of her way to help you and if she can't one of her sisters will help out. I highly recommend this place if your looking for a large room and relaxing bar downstairs.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Badheatrash
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I've stayed in many a guest house in Phnom Penh, and I've got to say that this place is by far the nicest. This family-run establishment just oozes ambience. The food is a mix of top notch Tex Mex and Khmer, and the service is great from the well trained, always smiling staff. It's the perfect place if you want to have some real peace and quiet just a stone's throw from the Riverside area. Do yourself a favour and experience it for yourself. You'll probably find yourself spending more time in the bar than in or around the other wonders of Phnom Penh!

Ryan from Adelaide Australia.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Ryan M
Reviewed 22 May 2012

There are a few mixed reviews, and the easiest way to say this, is that this is basic but very clean accommodation, which extremely friendly staff, that are mostly related family members. The American food is delicious, of particular note, is the slow smoked BBQ pork ribs that melt in your mouth, that are cooked the authentic slow way with a tangy jack daniels sauce, home-made. Don't expect more than basics, and if this is what you want, then you will have a fantatstic time. The brother in law to Greg is the tuk-tuk driver, who is very friendly and willing to take you around. So basic accommodation, friendly people, and a sufficient stop over place in PP, but if you require more, then this is not the accommodation for you. P.S. great little massage place down the road, that they can advise you on, but one of best foot massages we have experienced.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Angela B
Camboforever, Owner at Lone Star Saloon Bar and Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Thank you for your response and for your nice comments. I am a little confused as to why you would classify our rooms as simple.

Our rooms are equipped with brand new beds and furnishings, mini fridge in room, mini safe, large flat screen TV, superfast WIFI, large ensuite toilet with a walk in shower, a desk or table with chair for working on your laptop, and decent sized balconies.

Typically basic rooms in Phnom Penh have none of these amenities.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

I stayed there for 3 nights and knew the rooms facing the street were noisy.1 night I couldn't get to sleep until 1am.I was lucky I requested a wakeup call early the next morning otherwise I would've missed my bus to Vietnam.I wanted to stay there again though as the hospitality I was shown by Sre Leak (the owner's wife) and her co-workers was some of the warmest I had encountered in many years of traveling around Asia.
Around 2 weeks later I was planning to return to PP and emailed LSS and asked if any quiet rooms were available as I was planning on staying there for 4 nights and was told by the owner Greg that one was.My first day there it sounded like a wall was being knocked down at the premises next door.The 2nd morning construction started at 7am.making it impossible to sleep after a late night.When I asked Greg that morning if he had heard the construction noise he arrogantly replied “I can't hear any noise from my apartment and laughed..
I then went and found another hotel.
When I returned and told Greg I was checking out he came to my room and tried to persuade me to change to a street front room..When I told him I had already found another hotel,he then tried to enlighten me by telling me that in a 3'rd world country noise is inevitable.When I told him that I had originally requested a QUIET room he shook his head and walked away.
I was deliberately mislead and would never stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Hello, I am very dissapointed to read our first ever negative review of the Lone Star Saloon Guesthouse.

When the gentlemen requested a quiet room, I booked him a room in the rear of the building that is generally very very quiet. I was eating breakfast one morning when he came down very angry and upset and demanded to know if I heard some banging noise. I was not trying to be flip when I said not from my apt., and I am sorry if he took it that way.

I had no idea before had that my neighbors decided to do some small construction that morning. When I went up to the room............it was quiet. Whatever they were doing over there only lasted a short time that morning. I had other guests at the time and no one else was bothered.

I offered to move him to a higher priced room at the same price but he said he had stayed there before and was bothered by street noise.

Our hotel is located on a very quiet little side street. Our rooms have two sets of doors leading in to them and are extremely quiet. However, like most large cities in developing countries.....Phnom Penh is typically noisy. The gentlemen seemed to be satisfied that I was making an effort to accomodate him and although he left............he no longer seemed upset.

He explained that he lives on a farm in his home country and is used to the extreme quiet of the countryside.

I hate to see anyone leave my place of business not happy.........but I am not sure what I could have done to placate him.