Review Highlights
Myanmar Through an Ethical Lens

If you're looking for a photo tour led by a professional who's both a talented digital artist and a... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
wordgeisha
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Unbelievable access and contacts

As a very enthusiastic photographer I have taken several photo tours throughout the world (Cambodia... read more

Reviewed 21 November 2018
GabeGal
B.C.
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Phnom Penh
from US$26.00
More Info
All reviews photography tour camera settings photographic opportunities cambodia tour great photos practical advice avoid crowds felt safe and relaxed sharp eye talented photographer his passion an excellent teacher fabulous trip local guide small group take photos amazing country
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

It’s now been a while that I was on tour with Nathan and the group. I did the Angkor Wat tour with him and a group of 6 other fellow travellers and although it’s already 6 months ago, I still remember it in the best possible way.
I thought Nathan is a great guide, always full of energy no matter if it’s an early start at 4am to catch a sunrise shoot or 10 in the evening after a few drinks. This does have a good impact on the group! You do get to see a lot during the tour. It’s not just 2 or 3 spots in a day but easily double that number. It can be tiring especially if you are not used to the climate but it’s well worth the effort. Nathan is super helpful and takes a lot of time to go through your experience and what you like to get out of the trip. Also on the go he’s always happy to answer any questions and help where he can. I would absolutely recommend Nathan no matter if you are a beginner or pro and if you have an interest in getting to know the country, people and culture.
Talking of which: you can see that he does care about the people, cultural heritage and environment, a great example of how tourism should be, respectful and with a great willingness to learn more! I hope I can squeeze in some time and join another tour!

Date of experience: November 2017
1  Thank Blackhopper
Reviewed 11 March 2018

I recently did the Tribes and Trekking Tour with Nathan and it has won first place on my list of best trips ever. I was tentative at first because it was more than I usually spend on a trip but having completed the tour, I can say I got my money's worth and more!

From the first day, I knew I was I was going to learn. Always a little intimidated by my lack of technical skills, I was put at ease with an introductory class on day 1 that reviewed photography basics, tips, camera settings and all in the context of having success with travel photography.

The learning never ends. You get as much or as little as you like but the opportunities are endless. Nathan suggests lenses, camera settings and gives pointers in each shooting scenario. He is also a master at managing lighting conditions. Even while waiting at airports, he provides mini classes in Lightroom and photo editing for those who want or need them. He does not rest and he is always patient.

On top of that, this tour was full of cultural experiences and opportunities to interact with locals. The days were filled with varied and unique photographic opportunities. This was also possible because of his amazing local guide, Tun, who always puts the participants needs first. I feel I had experiences on this trip that I could never have found on my own or with a typical tourist tour. The attention to detail is amazing. I felt safe and relaxed at all time and loved not having to worry about anything but charging my batteries.

Nathan is a giving teacher who still has incredible passion for his craft and his love and respect for the culture and people is inspiring.

I know that some people are reluctant to visit Myanmar with some of the bad press lately but I felt good for having gone and spent my tourist dollars with the locals. These people have experienced oppression for a long time and just as tourist dollars improved life, it began to dwindle.

This trip was beyond special and I am already booked for another tour with Nathan.

Date of experience: January 2018
1  Thank bailesh
Reviewed 26 February 2018

I've just returned from the most fabulous trip with Nathan Horton Photography, travelling from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap over a period of 10 days, learning not only about the art of photography but also about Cambodia itself. Nathan's emphasis on respectful engagement with people and communities, encouragement to share what we were doing with people we were photographing, rather than just 'taking' pictures, and his evident love for the country and those we met made it a very special experience. The small group approach, with a starting point that everyone has a shared interest in photography resulted a camaraderie that makes it a perfect trip for people travelling solo, as well as for those travelling together. While it can't be classed as a relaxing, restful trip (lots of early starts to get the best light etc) I enjoyed every minute and would never have experienced the country as I did had I travelled alone. Its the perfect mix of visits to main must-see sights and hidden Cambodia. Oh yes, I also came home with so incredibly photographs!
Saving for the next tour already.... Nathan Horton runs tours of so many other beautiful places the problem will be choosing where to go.

Reviewed 25 February 2018

Amazing, fabulous,memorable... the most fantastic experience !!! I have just returned from a 2 week photography tour of Cambodia. Nathan's knowledge and research of Cambodia makes this trip unique as he shares his secrets to achieving the best images possible. The workshops are very informative and Nathan gives advice and support on all levels of photography. Everyone is made to feel comfortable and are encouraged to experiment with camera settings to stretch their abilities. I really hope to do more photography tours with Nathan in the near future.

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

I’ve just completed a 2 week photography trip with Nathan Horton in Cambodia. This is the best way, without a doubt to see Cambodia with a camera. Nathan has spent over 10 years building up trust with the locals; he knows monks, nuns, farmers, market vendors, great restaurants, and many wonderful grannies,all who adore Nathan! He knows how to get in the back door, how to be there in the best light, and how to avoid crowds. He is an excellent teacher, with great knowledge of cameras and of post production. He shares many secret tips and sincerely wants his clients to take great photos. This was my second trip with Nathan and I hope to do more. I highly recommend him.
Gillian Watson