“The place to be”

Eighty8 Backpackers
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I passed one week at this hostel, the staff are really friendly and helpful. Sometimes you can play with us at pool. I have slept on a dormitory, cleanliness are good and food exelent. Try the malaysian meal "Me Goreen".
Good value for money and swimmingpool!! Don t hesitate it is the place to stay when you are in Phnom Penh.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 October 2012

A friend booked this hostel for us on the night of our arrival into Phnom Penh airport. We stayed here one night. There is no point in sharing a room in asia when having a private room to yourself and your friends is the same price. Nothing about this place stood out to me. I arrived late at night and left before lunch the next day.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2012

The hostel is good, nice and clean and at a good location. Walking distance from the river and all the popular bars and restaurants. The food and drinks are a bit pricy and you cannot bring anything to eat or drink from outside. Not in the rooms nor in the common room. Also didn't like the hostel staff. Everyday they would ask us where we were going and tried to make us book any of their trips. I want some peace an quiet in the hostel, especially in a busy and hectic place like phnom penh!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank ruben s
Reviewed 7 October 2012

This is one of the worst hostels I stayed in. The pool lookes nice on pictures but the water is just dirty. The aircon in the dorm didnt cool, so it was hot and dump there. Internet almost rarely works properly and stuff dont speak good English so its really hard to communicate.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Karitravell
shawbaws, Owner at Eighty8 Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Thanks for the feedback!

How long did you stay here at 88? The pool is maintained on a daily basis, we have 2 pumps which are only ment to run for 12 hrs a day but we actually run them 24hrs a day to keep the water in the pool clean and safe for swimming. Occasionally the company we employ to maintain the pool add too much chlorine which clouds the water for a day max!

You were in a dorm, you should have got the remote and turned the temp down to the level you wanted, and hope the other guests are ok. Never had a problem with this before. I would assume that someone else in your room has turned the temp up to their comfort level.

The "stuff'" speak good English, but do remember that its a second language, so you have to be slow with spoken English and they understand almost 100%! Please remember Cambodia is a third world country with low levels of education.

"Stuff", I am assuming you mean "staff"! Communication!!!

Reviewed 20 September 2012

I have to say the overall layout and concept of the hostel is good. Having a pool is a nice unique feature, and the rooms are some of the most spacious I've seen. The staff are great, and very friendly and empathetic, regularly checking if you're ok. With free wifi, hot showers, and a nice social area, this place I'm sure has the potential for people to have a great time here...

... as long as you're in the company of decent guests. I had the unfortunate experience of being woken up several times as guests were stumbling in from the bar downstairs. This would be fine, and understandable in a shared room, had it not been for 3 extremely disrespectful guests who decided to carry on their party in the room for more than an hour at 3am. Finally, after snapping, and not having them quiet down when asked, I went to speak to management, who's offer was to sleep in another room in the hostel. I suppose this would be fine, if it didn't involve having to disturb yet another room of guests, which I had expressed as a concern initially. Because they had decided to quiet down when I went to get management, nothing was even said to them. Considering a bar's patrons are the bar's responsibility, and a hotel's patrons are also a hotel's responsibility, I don't see how it can be deemed acceptable to not have a common 'respect' etiquette in place, such as 'noise levels after midnight'...

Of course the guests behaviour does not reflect the hostel's staff or amenities, merely their policy for enforcing a common respect to their guests. I'm sure had I stayed a different night, or in a different room - sans jerks - I would have had a great experience.

My only other observation, which I've already seen brought up in here, is the over priced food served. The hotel has tried defending the prices to 'western standards of cooking, ingredients and preparation' - though anyone who has been in SE Asia before would know that this is merely an excuse. You can find similar quality food, prepared in a clean way, which will not make you sick, at nearly half the price around Phnom Penh. Being a western run hostel, it's not a surprise that they insist western prices on their food.

I would consider staying here again, though I've now found a much cheaper hostel with equal levels of service and a great social area on the rooftop. The only differences - no pool, cheaper food, and a better location.

Room Tip: I'd love to say choose a room without jerks, but clearly it's a hostel and that's luck o...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank WhereSidewalksEnd
shawbaws, Owner at Eighty8 Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2012

Great feedback, thank you.

You make one point regarding our food prices: Again let me add that our choice to follow western food standards is not an excuse to make the prices higher.

We purchase meat from a butcher, who refrigerates the meat, and not from the local market.
Sterilized water, as opposed to tap water.
Fresh fish from farm, not the polluted river.

As you will have noticed as well, we serve western portions of food, ie much bigger than local portions.

we have about a $1 to $2 premium price over local food, this cannot be avoided due to the western standards we demand.

$4 for a big burger, chips and a salad is still great value for money.
$4 for a big portion of fish and chips. Farmed fish, safe meat, potato, expensive!

These are great value dishes.

Thanks again for the great feedback.

Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

Do NOT stay here if you want value for money, a good atmosphere and friendly staff!...we booked through hostel world and it is advertised as free wifi, they do have free wifi but NOT accessable in the rooms, it is also advertised as 'breakfast included' this is not true as we found out on arrival...they are falsely advertising their services! The reason we paid a bit more for our private room is so that we had breakfast as on the website there is a tick next to breakfast included and a tick next to not included! But we assumed by booking the most expensive room we would be entitled to the breakfast! Also there is continual building work being done and it is so loud it was unbearable to stay in the room or even to have a conversation!

I went to share my concerns with the owner in the hope he would understand my frustration that for the price we paid we were not getting a good service in return or value for money! He said he would do anything to make our stay an enjoyable one yet he could not meet any of our needs that were not unreachable! Since travelling I have stayed in far nicer places for much less money and much much better service from friendly staff! Although he did offer for us to move to a sister hotel it would not have been for a cheaper rate and there was no swimming pool there so we would have got even worst value for money! Would not recommend staying here for any traveller who wants to have a good, fun and easy stay!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Rcampbell91
shawbaws, Owner at Eighty8 Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Thanks for your feedback, as always any feedback, good or bad is helpful to improve our product. Let me say first that by the rating that you gave us, it’s clear that you are not happy, this makes me sad that we were not able to satisfy you. You have brought up a few points that I would like to mention. Free Wifi, I am not sure what the issue is here as we DO supply free wifi for all guests in the common area downstairs, this we do to make the hostel as friendly as possible, to have people using and socializing in the common room. I will adjust all advertising to make note that the free wifi is not available in the rooms. Your next point regarding free breakfast, we clearly state in the facilities page that we DO NOT do free breakfast, I have spoken with hostelworld.com as to why this has appeared as an option when booking rooms, this I take full responsibility for this and have amended this on the booking page.

Aside from these 2 points I would like to point to the fact that our hostel is indeed great value for money, for the prices paid, you receive air con in every room, free access to our swimming pool. I know of no other hostels in Cambodia that offer these amenities for this price. Eighty8 is 2 blocks from Wat Phnom, the acknowledged centre of the city and the temple that the city derives its name from.

I hope this reply goes some way to help address the issues you have raised. I wish you safe and pleasant onwards travelling.

Reviewed 7 September 2012

We'd heard whilst staying at another hostel that 88 had a decent reputation so decided to book a couple nights there. The staff and owner were very friendly upon our arrival and and throughout our stay. There is a large communal area downstairs by the bar with plenty of comfortable seating, a free pool table, big screen tv and a swimming pool with a few outdoor seats next to it. This was a good place to sit and chat with other backpackers and swap stories. The food was really nice. It did seem a bit more expensive compared to places we had eaten in Siem Reap, but we weren't sure if this was just the hostel or just things being a little more expensive as its the capital city. The special truffles sold at the bar also went down a little too nicely. We didn't end up going in the pool but it looked nice and clean. It's just a block or so away from the river and there was a lot of bars and places to it a short walking distance away. The room itself (we shared a double) was bigger than anywhere we had stayed during the trip; very clean and comfortable. We had a great experience of this hostel and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends