Eighty8 Backpackers
G Mekong Hotel(Phnom Penh)
US$67
US$194
Trip.com
US$250
US$244
All reviewspool tableprivate roompod roomtuk tukswimming poolair conbig lockersfantastic hostela great place to meetfemale dormsocial atmospherekilling fieldsbed dormbathroom doorclean roomsnice poolstayed here for nights
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This was by far the cleanest hostel i have stay at, i read a few comments about the price of the food, it is more expensive than the local street food but defo worth it! they have a swimming pool and the bar area is always full of other travellers to chat to. They have WIFI downstairs in the common area which is free and they also clean your clothes properly not like the cheap place down the road that lost my fisherman pants. All in all a great stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Clean and comfortable, with huge beds, a great bar /restaurant area and swimming pool. The staff are incredibly helpful (Ta the receptionist is a legend!) and it's very reasonably priced.

Next time I'm in Phnom Penh, I'll definitely stay here!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Graham J
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Would definitely recommend this place in Phnom Penh - decent but not great location, good communal area with swimming pool, and friendly and helpful staff. Rooms were fairly nice with massive beds which was great

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Friendly staff, most spoke pretty decent English which was a nice surprise as most Cambodians I encountered did not. The rooms were nice and pretty clean, with wide comfy beds a strong ceiling fan and good air conditioning. However there was no door to our bathroom -_- ... Also my friend had some clothes washed at the hostel during our stay and they lost his towel as well as gave him a pair of someone else's socks...I am not sure if the owner of the penguin socks was able to reclaim them but my friend's towel is still out there somewhere. The staff in turn gave him one of the hostel towels which served us just as well.

The food at this hostel was very good but a little on the pricey side, if ordering fruit juice make sure to specify if you want it made with actual fruit and not syrup. Had a few instances where my drink order was mixed up but the staff was very polite and corrected my order at no extra cost.
Wifi only works downstairs near the bar area and the pool is not really for swimming. It is quite small and in a place where it would be very awkward to parade around in a bikini. But none the less it adds a nice decorative touch.
I did not schedule any of the tours they offer because I found them to be over priced, I think the trip to Oudong Mountain was priced at 30$ and The Killing Fields tour was 18$ but I managed to get a TukTuk to driver to take me and my friend to Oudong and the Killing Fields(Choeung Ek) for 25$ total. We gave the guy 5$ gas at the end of the day (in the morning we saw him put in 2$ which got us to Oudong and back no problem) and invited him to have lunch with us Both locations are in fact very far from eachother but as you will see 1$ goes a very long way in Cambodia....our grand total was probably around 42$ for the day including our own lunches as opposed to 48$ for JUST transportation had we booked through 88Backpackers. Also I am not sure if their Killing field tour is to the actual Choeung Ek or if they only take you to Tuol Sleng...

Room Tip: If you have heavy bags consider a lower floor...there is no elevator here and none of the staff even offered to carry my bag up the 3 flights of stairs :(
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
shawbaws, Manager at Eighty8 Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thanks for the feedback.

Your info on the tours is not correct.... not really sure what your point is.

Safe onward travels

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I just spent 7 weeks bouncing around hostels in SE Asia. This was one of the best I stayed in. The beds are extra wide and really comfy. The staff are up for a laugh. the bar area is massive and really chilled. If you want to party - go out. It's really easy to meet people here and the food is really really good (if a tiny bit expensive) The bathrooms could do with an update and they could do more to organise walking tours or trips to the attractions so you can meet even more people, but it's a good place.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo