“Amazing bar staff!”

Eighty8 Backpackers
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Amazing bar staff!”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I stayed in a delux dorm during my stay as the standards were full, the rooms were spacious with a locker big enough for my backpack. The beds were huge and super comfortable! The hostel itself is a bit out of the main city area but i didn't find this an issue, they have a tuk-tuk stand outside and the drivers are super nice, one even took us to his local restaurant and ordered all our food (none of the menu was i English). The hostel also offers a free tuk-tuk pick up when you first arrive so even though my mini bus from Kampot was over 40 minutes late the driver was still waiting for me! The pool is a huge bonus in the city and ive heard they do have pool parties although i missed the one for the month when i was there! But possibly the best part of the hostel are the bar staff, they are super friendly and remembered my name straight away! They were always smiling and are a real credit to the hostel, especially Charlie (it was a while ago that i stayed but i think thats his name)! I really recommend this hostel if you don't mind being away from the night life and even then a few people in a tuk-tuk really doesn't cost too much money!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

It's a really nice place where you can spend a few days.
The bar is good, a bit overpriced if you compare it with local bars around the area but it's OK for food and some drinks. We stayed in a private room and it was very clean and big enough for two people.
The stuff is lovely, super friendly and always trying to be helpful.
The main problem I found was the music, always the same songs and during the afternoon/evening it was too loud.
We definitely enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Loved this place - the staff were really friendly and accommodating, the communal area is cool with a funky renovated colonial design, plenty of space and a swimming pool. the food was DELICIOUS and the music was cool. everything was clean and well maintained. the wifi was reasonably fast and the most reliable I had in my whole trip. HIGHLY recommend this place to anyone coming through Phnom Penh.
Book ahead, they are (understandably) popular.
Thanks for an awesome stay Peter!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This was by far the cleanest hostel i have stay at, i read a few comments about the price of the food, it is more expensive than the local street food but defo worth it! they have a swimming pool and the bar area is always full of other travellers to chat to. They have WIFI downstairs in the common area which is free and they also clean your clothes properly not like the cheap place down the road that lost my fisherman pants. All in all a great stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Clean and comfortable, with huge beds, a great bar /restaurant area and swimming pool. The staff are incredibly helpful (Ta the receptionist is a legend!) and it's very reasonably priced.

Next time I'm in Phnom Penh, I'll definitely stay here!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Graham J
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Would definitely recommend this place in Phnom Penh - decent but not great location, good communal area with swimming pool, and friendly and helpful staff. Rooms were fairly nice with massive beds which was great

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Friendly staff, most spoke pretty decent English which was a nice surprise as most Cambodians I encountered did not. The rooms were nice and pretty clean, with wide comfy beds a strong ceiling fan and good air conditioning. However there was no door to our bathroom -_- ... Also my friend had some clothes washed at the hostel during our stay and they lost his towel as well as gave him a pair of someone else's socks...I am not sure if the owner of the penguin socks was able to reclaim them but my friend's towel is still out there somewhere. The staff in turn gave him one of the hostel towels which served us just as well.

The food at this hostel was very good but a little on the pricey side, if ordering fruit juice make sure to specify if you want it made with actual fruit and not syrup. Had a few instances where my drink order was mixed up but the staff was very polite and corrected my order at no extra cost.
Wifi only works downstairs near the bar area and the pool is not really for swimming. It is quite small and in a place where it would be very awkward to parade around in a bikini. But none the less it adds a nice decorative touch.
I did not schedule any of the tours they offer because I found them to be over priced, I think the trip to Oudong Mountain was priced at 30$ and The Killing Fields tour was 18$ but I managed to get a TukTuk to driver to take me and my friend to Oudong and the Killing Fields(Choeung Ek) for 25$ total. We gave the guy 5$ gas at the end of the day (in the morning we saw him put in 2$ which got us to Oudong and back no problem) and invited him to have lunch with us Both locations are in fact very far from eachother but as you will see 1$ goes a very long way in Cambodia....our grand total was probably around 42$ for the day including our own lunches as opposed to 48$ for JUST transportation had we booked through 88Backpackers. Also I am not sure if their Killing field tour is to the actual Choeung Ek or if they only take you to Tuol Sleng...

Room Tip: If you have heavy bags consider a lower floor...there is no elevator here and none of the staff even...