I stayed here for 2 nights and it was clean. I actually booked 2 nights in a 12 bed female dorm, but when I was checking in, they couldn't find my reservation, and when I pulled it up on my phone for them they were perplexed. Apparently, they over booked and didn't have a bed for me in the female dorm. I can stay in mixed dorms but I prefer females and therefore pay more to do so.
I reluctantly agreed to stay in a 6 bed mixed dorm for one night and they promised to move me in the female dorm the next, also on the bottom bunk (which I requested for both nights but didn't get the first night).
The next day I checked out early, put my things in storage and told them I would be back after I did the Killing Fields tour to check into the female dorms and they happily said "okay." But later that day, I tried to check in and someone other than the original girl told me that they didn't have a bed for me in the female dorm!!! I was pretty fed up by then, and I think it was obvious, so she looked harder and decide there was a bed for me but it was a top bunk... I'm really not sure how to feel now... So I said "what else do you have that's bottom bunk" she said there's a bottom in a mixed dorm.... then I gave her a sad/mad, frustrated face... and she looked harder and found me a bottom bunk in a 12 bed female dorm. WTF!?!? I had to be mad and demanding to get what I originally booked and double agreed on. I don't get it!?!? Why not just give me that bed the moment I'm trying to check in on day 2? I think at that point, I'm just glad I finally got what I booked and paid for.
After all that here are the Pros and Cons:
* beds were big and comfy (2nd bed had better sheets than 1st bed, 100% cotton vs. synthetic)
* clean new bathrooms (with just enough space, not spacious but not cramped)
* 2nd night in the female dorm, spacious and lockers were huge under beds with room for all my things
* bar on rooftop was decent
* always had toilet paper and hand soap, it was good
* lamps and power points at each bed
* 24/7 hot showers
* wifi worked everywhere!!! in both beds! (both buildings)
* easy to meet people and socialize
* location is for the most part safe and in an high end neighborhood (which can also be a Con)
* most of the staffs are nice, I just think the whole room situation was messy for me
* prices of the rooms/beds were good for the neighborhood
* my drama with my room situation (read above)
* 1st night in mixed dorm (on the side of the restaurant), there were only small lockers in the rooms for our valuables (the other dorm in the reception side had big under the bed lockers)
* restaurant had "asian" food but it was bad and overpriced. I order noodle soup for breakfast which is a typical asian meal in the morning, they gave me packaged ramen for $3.50 USD. That's more than I would pay in the states for that meal. I grew up in an asian household and spent summers with my family in SEA, and I know for a fact that no real SEA breakfast consist of ramen as the noodle soup. Very disappointed with the restaurant (maybe they do western food better, but I refuse to eat that while traveling Asia). I do not recommend eating here.
* prices for things like water and food should be better, it was a little more than double for a water bottle than what it costs at convenient stores
So I like how clean it is, and how safe it is. I would stay here again, but now I know and am prepared to walk further for local food and snacks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mad Monkey Phnom Penh - the original Mad Monkey! This is the best place to meet people and experience Phnom Penh. We can help you arrange tours, travel, visas, you name it. We're also the perfect home base for your adventures. Relax by our refreshing swimming pool (a must in the Cambodian heat) and enjoy our poolside bar. Eat a filling and delicious meal in our restaurant with new backpacker friends from around the world. Upstairs in our Rooftop Bar we have new events on every night of the week. We can't wait to meet you! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Mad Monkey Hostel Phnom Penh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mad Monkey Hotel Phnom Penh