“Clean hostel, but restaurant was bad for me”

Mad Monkey Hostel Phnom Penh
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights and it was clean. I actually booked 2 nights in a 12 bed female dorm, but when I was checking in, they couldn't find my reservation, and when I pulled it up on my phone for them they were perplexed. Apparently, they over booked and didn't have a bed for me in the female dorm. I can stay in mixed dorms but I prefer females and therefore pay more to do so.

I reluctantly agreed to stay in a 6 bed mixed dorm for one night and they promised to move me in the female dorm the next, also on the bottom bunk (which I requested for both nights but didn't get the first night).

The next day I checked out early, put my things in storage and told them I would be back after I did the Killing Fields tour to check into the female dorms and they happily said "okay." But later that day, I tried to check in and someone other than the original girl told me that they didn't have a bed for me in the female dorm!!! I was pretty fed up by then, and I think it was obvious, so she looked harder and decide there was a bed for me but it was a top bunk... I'm really not sure how to feel now... So I said "what else do you have that's bottom bunk" she said there's a bottom in a mixed dorm.... then I gave her a sad/mad, frustrated face... and she looked harder and found me a bottom bunk in a 12 bed female dorm. WTF!?!? I had to be mad and demanding to get what I originally booked and double agreed on. I don't get it!?!? Why not just give me that bed the moment I'm trying to check in on day 2? I think at that point, I'm just glad I finally got what I booked and paid for.

After all that here are the Pros and Cons:

Pros:
* beds were big and comfy (2nd bed had better sheets than 1st bed, 100% cotton vs. synthetic)
* clean new bathrooms (with just enough space, not spacious but not cramped)
* 2nd night in the female dorm, spacious and lockers were huge under beds with room for all my things
* bar on rooftop was decent
* always had toilet paper and hand soap, it was good
* lamps and power points at each bed
* 24/7 hot showers
* wifi worked everywhere!!! in both beds! (both buildings)
* easy to meet people and socialize
* location is for the most part safe and in an high end neighborhood (which can also be a Con)
* most of the staffs are nice, I just think the whole room situation was messy for me
* prices of the rooms/beds were good for the neighborhood

Cons:
* my drama with my room situation (read above)
* 1st night in mixed dorm (on the side of the restaurant), there were only small lockers in the rooms for our valuables (the other dorm in the reception side had big under the bed lockers)
* restaurant had "asian" food but it was bad and overpriced. I order noodle soup for breakfast which is a typical asian meal in the morning, they gave me packaged ramen for $3.50 USD. That's more than I would pay in the states for that meal. I grew up in an asian household and spent summers with my family in SEA, and I know for a fact that no real SEA breakfast consist of ramen as the noodle soup. Very disappointed with the restaurant (maybe they do western food better, but I refuse to eat that while traveling Asia). I do not recommend eating here.
* prices for things like water and food should be better, it was a little more than double for a water bottle than what it costs at convenient stores

So I like how clean it is, and how safe it is. I would stay here again, but now I know and am prepared to walk further for local food and snacks.

Room Tip: try to get a room on the side of the reception building and not the restaurant building. The recept...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Adam293925, Owner at Mad Monkey Hostel Phnom Penh, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear guest - Thank you for your review. Rahman noodles are actually used in every single Khmer noodle dish i have ever had, and i have been here for three years - i really dont know why - i guess its the local style. I am pleased you enjoyed the other elements of the hostel, thanks for your review! We hope you come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Me and my friend had nothing but a great time at both mad monkeys (we left phnom Penh and stayed in the one at siem reap afterwards - just as brilliant) one of your staff at the desk kindly booked us in at SR and also arranged for his friend to meet us at the bus station, who we used a couple of times during our stay. MM in PP was a great experience and probably the best guesthouse I have stayed in, in Asia. I really liked the idea of the restaurant/chilled bar downstairs and the busy roof top bar upstairs. One of the barmen in particular, I forget his name, I'm so sorry, it begins with M....he was brilliant. Always smiling, friendly, helpful and always aimed to please everybody. Everybody was great and our first night, we all got encouraged to go to Love bar and we shared the tuk tuk with Steve, who also plaid for the tuk tuk! I'm sure that's the norm but its still a nice touch.
We're thinking of coming back for a night or two before heading to Kratie from Sihanoukville . keep up the good work guys!

Room Tip: We stayed in a private room, all the way at the top...even past the bar, and was a good work out wit...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for choosing Mad Monkey hostels for your stay - We loved having you here and we wish you the very best for your onward trip.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in the female dorm. Unlike what I read in old reviews, this place wasn't as noisy as I was expecting. Staff were fairly friendly, some more than others. Rooms were immaculate, cleaning girls did a great job and even locked the room when I asked them to. Rooms are really modern with a large trunk under each bunk to put your stuff in but make sure you have your own lock. Restaurant across the road is convenient but very pricey!!

Bar upstairs is cool and shuts at 11pm but one of the bartenders takes you all onto a new place which is really nice as you stay as a group. Overall a great stay and I would happily recommend it to my friends.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Your review is awesome and you were really an awesome guest - thanks again for choosing the Mad Monkey.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

This is one of the nicest guesthouses I've stayed at. Both the rooms and dorms are very clean and comfortable. The food is high quality and the hostel has a good general atmosphere.

Most of all the staff are very good. When I checked in, the two receptionists Lina and Sothea were excellent, very helpful and extremely friendly and welcoming. They made me feel at home straight away.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your glowing review of The Mad Monkey - we are delighted you enjoyed your time here ! We hope to see you again soon for more cocktails!

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Ticks all the boxes - clean, secure, professional and great staff. Actually the staff really make this place - always in a good mood and want to make your stay the best that they can. Really felt like they really like working there. Food was good - fair prices. 5 mins walk to S-21, supermarkets etc.
Bar is very good, esp. BBQ nights. Also cocktails nights and free beer keg nights were great too. Defo recommend this hostel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

I am so pleased you found the time to write a review - it was a real delight having you stay with us, all the best and good luck for your future travels.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

When you are looking to stay in a hostel with young crowd,good location and clean rooms, look no further than this one in Phnom Penh. Check in is quick,food is decent and roof top has a good lounge with pool tables to Chill.I have seen hostels all around S.E Asia and this one is right up there.I liked the cool murals they had in each room and outside .Only small limitation is that staff's english is a bit difficult to understand(but much better than normal Khmer people) and could give some inputs on what to see around in Phnom Penh.

Room Tip: I stayed at a triple room in first floor and it was convenient.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

I am pleased that you loved your time at The Mad Monkey - Thank you for choosing us and we very much look forward to meeting you again soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

I stayed here for two nights and would stay again if given the chance. The staff was very nice and helpful. The dorm I stayed in was very clean and had a HUGE bed that was extremely comfortable. There was a safe place to put all of my stuff when I left the room so dont forget to bring a lock. Mad Monkey has a restaurant with reasonable prices and good food! They have deals everyday of the week with a rooftop bar as well. Unfortunately it gets a little hot up there and it closes at 10:30 pm. This is understandable because there are guests staying on the same floor and I wouldn't want to be trying to sleep with loud drunk people in the other room. So just make sure you have a place to go to after. There is a beat up pool table and tons of couches to relax on and meet new friends. The staff was amazing and really did try to do everything in their power to accommodate my stay. The Mad Monkey is a little of the beaten path so its not the place to stay if your trying to stay on the river. However there are many cheep TutTuts (taxis) available to take you anywhere for a very cheep price. Also make sure you have money because the ATM is super expensive.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear guest - what an awesome review! We certainly enjoyed your company whilst you were here, we hope the hangovers are now a distant memory. Do come back and meet with us again soon.