“Excellent stay and food”

Mad Monkey Hostel Phnom Penh
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We stayed here in July and it was gorgeous. We stayed in a house like place with a big round stairs... it was huge with a tv and l shaped couch. Our room had two double beds and it was so nice. The nicest place we stayed in Asia! The service was great, and so was the food. There was so much to choose from (and a lot western). We had breakfast, lunch and dinner here. There was a rooftop bar too that was always buzzing! We watched the world cup in a sports bar two streets down which was also great to go to (I forget the name now).

I would go back here if I was in Cambodia! Only thing was the Wifi was a bit dodgey sometimes.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CaptainC31
Stevevaile, Owner at Mad Monkey Hostel Phnom Penh, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear Guest - It was an absolute delight having you stay here with our team at The Mad Monkey. We wish you the very best for your onward trip :-) Thank you for staying at our socially responsible hostel.

Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Beds are great. Clean hostel. If you want to be quite, don't go. The rooftop are is party party party until 23,30. Location is great. If you want to meet people is your place and party. Lounge place quite impossible.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Stevevaile, Owner at Mad Monkey Hostel Phnom Penh, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

It was a real pleasure to have you here at the Mad Monkey. We very much hope to see you and your friends soon. Thank you for staying at a socially responsible hostel.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

We were told to stay here and we are so glad we pre-booked as it was hard for others to get a room upon arrival. We booked the Mad Monkey Hostel in Siem Reap for the second half of our trip we were that impressed. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The food is so good, we ended up eating there more than we had thought. The staff are very friendly and so much fun. The rooftop bar at the hostel is sociable and lively, it gets busy as people start here before heading out.

If you're looking for a hostel to stay at in Phnom Penh - choose The Mad Monkey Hostel and pre-book if you can

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

It was a real pleasure to host you here with us - do find the time to come back and visit us again soon. Thank you for staying at a socially responsible hostel.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I had two really awesome days in the Mad Monkey hostel in Phnom Penh. I met some absolutely great people and saw some excellent sights. The hostel will sort you out with a tuktuk and the bar is a really good place to meet people. I hadn't even been there an hour before I'd met about 10/15 people. They do a cool bar crawl which is worth doing one of the nights. But for a really good night out check out a club called Pontoon. No dress code and about 5/6 DJs spinning RnB, Hip-Hop, House and EDM all night.

The food at the hostel is good for those who are sick of Asian food. There is a small locker in each room which you can attach a padlock to to keep your valuables safe.

The beds are really comfortable, and big! And the AC is always on so the rooms are nice and cold. Great hostels, strongly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Stevevaile, Owner at Mad Monkey Hostel Phnom Penh, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for your glowing review of The Mad Monkey - we are delighted you enjoyed your time here ! We hope to see you again soon for more cocktails! Thank you for staying at a socially responsible hostel.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed only one night and is definitively a cool place to meet other backpackers...True is that you can't rest easily since the bar is very loud..
I had a nice time, great location and good food :) I will recommend it!!!

2  Thank catia3
Stevevaile, Owner at Mad Monkey Hostel Phnom Penh, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you so much for your review - i am delighted you enjoyed your time here, we are looking forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you for staying at a socially responsible hostel.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

What I love at Mad Monkey are good foods, great and friendly staff with exceptional services (obviously!!), clean-chic-stylish room decoration and artistic painting and mainly fun with good events at the bar.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

It was awesome to have you stay with us at The Mad Monkey - thank you very much for your kind review we hope to see you soonThank you for staying at a socially responsible hostel.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

This review is only about the hostel not the restaurant. The restaurant was great and gets five stars. So good that I ate there every day I stayed at the Mad Monkey. Sometimes more than once. Yes the table cloths have holes and stains and probably have not been changed recently and no one not even once asked me about my food or anything despite eating there several days in a row. The food was beyond excellent. I especially recommend the homemade sausage and the Big Kahuna burger was one of the best burgers I've had. I will go back just for that and it is open to the public. I will not come back to stay overnight.

Wordy review here. I find myself having a lot of thoughts about the Mad Monkey hostel overall. I stayed in a single room in the floor above the Sunset Bar. I expected the party atmosphere and maybe even noise. I did not expect the internet to not work in the room or smoke to come through the edges of the door when the party was raging and the wind was right. In short if you want to mostly sleep or need the internet most of the time, stay elsewhere. If you want to pay cash only even when you have to secure the room with a card, stay here. If you want to party non-stop and meet some interesting folks, have some fun stay here.

I've stayed in hostels all over the world and this is a really good hostel overall but you should know what you are getting into. Its a party hostel period. At the Mad Monkey, the party never ends, the faces just change. The vibe was great. Lots of great people staying. Great bartenders, restaurant staff and workers. Having said that, if sleep is your main intention you should just go elsewhere and you can easily find a hotel or hostel for a similar price as the private or shared rooms respectively in Phnom Penh.

There are some pretty obvious issues though that are keeping the Mad Monkey from being a great hostel. The place may seem like a bargain to the partiers and somewhat overpriced to most anyone else.

The place really hits it out of the park (that's really great for people who don't know baseball) with artwork in halls and in rooms. This is first hostel where I found myself taking pictures of walls. You will get an email before you check in and after you check out. Pretty good in some aspects of service.

I'm not sure what type of hostel all the Chinese, Japanese, Korean and other Asian tourists stay in PP in but this is my first of many hostels in Asia that seemed pretty much was all western people. All the signs I saw were written exclusively in English and some were excessively wordy. For example, why is there an especially long wordy page on the bathroom door about not putting toilet paper in the toilet and using the bum gun and you may like it so much you may install your own etc? It seems like the owners of the hostel have a bit of a whimsical attitude which probably appeals to the average party person but it was obvious some guests were either not reading and understanding the wordy sign or they just didn't care. Most hostels/hotels in places without modern plumbing (Taiwan for instance) just have a simple sign saying please put your toilet paper in the waste basket. That's just one example of how the place makes little effort to appeal to the non fluently English speaking crowd.

The check in staff was extremely friendly and answered all my questions the best they could. The people at the check in desk spoke very good English. In general they seemed to be a bit overwhelmed by the sheer number of people checking in. Not much different than other hostels I've been to. I was interrupted several times by other travelers asking something or other. Some people are just rude no matter where you go.

The workers themselves were great overall though. One staff member won big extra kudos for helping me carry my bags (some were very heavy) up many, many steep stairs to finally get to my room above the rooftop bar. They definitely earned their money just for that. If you have a heavy bag you don't need to get into much, I recommend just leaving it in the bag room downstairs rather than luging it up all the steep stairs. I was dead tired after a very long bus ride and I wasn't expecting to carry bags up so many stairs.

It is great that this hostel says they are paying more than average wages and trying to be socially responsible. I guess we have to take the owners word for it about this. I may sound cynical but I've heard more than one business make such a claim only to be false but the employees seemed genuinely happy.

First of my real complaints. The payment policy on the emailed receipt is not their actual policy and at best is just very poorly worded. Copied directly it says "you will be required to pay for your room in cash on check in. If not, then you must leave your passport as deposit, then your room charges and room bill we be charged to you at the end of your stay."

I took that to mean I could pay by credit card if I wanted to just by leaving my passport as a deposit. Not true. They require a credit card/debit card to make a reservation in the first place but on arrival I said I wanted to pay by credit card and the staff replied we are "cash" only. Why not just say that on the payment policy if that's what you really do up front. Not the most important thing but it is just a bit unnerving when you expected something else from the hostels own words.

There is an ATM right by the check in as was pointed out. I used one of these machines and was charged massive fees. More than $9 for a withdrawal between my bank and the Cambodian bank. Add that to my room fees I guess. It may seem like I'm being petty but its little things like this really keep the Mad Monkey from being a really great hostel. You don't start out with something unexpected for your customers if you want them to be happy.

The private room above the roof top bar was bare bones but it was extremely clean. I appreciated having a rack to hang up some clothes and two small waters, two towels and a mirror. The bed was firm/hard but big. Plenty of light came from the windows but there was not much of a view though. The A/C was not strong but worked and cooled down a relatively small room quickly.

My second complaint is the internet did not work in the room. The internet connection with the strongest wifi signal was the "Mad Monkey 6." This connection did not work and no one did anything about it despite me complaining about it twice!

I told the staff in the restaurant down stairs twice. No one fixed it or checked with me later about it or anything. The second time I complained I even showed the staff member on my computer what was happening. The router most likely needed to be reset (turned off and on) and I gave up after trying to get the people to do anything. This was very disappointing. Both times the staff acted like they understood what I was saying but didn't fix it. Just horrible service in this respect.

To use the internet I had to sit in the restaurant or go to a nearby coffee shop.

Overall, I can not recommend the private rooms above the rooftop bar if your intention staying at the Mad Monkey is to sleep either. I hear the rooms in the other building across the street are much better as far as noise and sleep quality but this place is really popular and often booked in advance so I doubt you'll get a room of your choice no matter what you do.

Some construction was outside every morning and every day. Lots of sounds of wood cutting and pounding even on Sunday. It starts before 8am guaranteed. This of course is not the hostels fault but it should be noted.

Don't expect to get a wink of sleep before midnight unless you can sleep through any noise. The roof top Bar closes at 11:30 pm and the real partiers will move to another bar nearby but that will not stop some people from talking loudly in the bar or in the halls for a good deal of time afterwards. Lock your room door too. Drunk people have a habit of trying to open the wrong room doors. There will also be doors creaking and closing hard. Some people are more considerate than others of course.

Speaking of doors, they have none of the common insulation and seals around it to help minimize sound. That means you can hear everything your neighbors do and I mean "everything" love birds. I'm jealous. Invite me and the rest of the floor next time. We all can certainly hear you.

A good deal of light is also visible of course and that means the air from the hall and the air from the room is circulating. It is not very energy efficient with the air conditioner but the worst is that you may even get smoke in your room. It may depend on how the wind is blowing on a given day (up the steep stairs from the bar) but I often smelled smoke coming from the bar.

A door at the top of the stairs separating the sleeping from the partying area would do wonders. Some people are also probably just smoking in the hallway too as I could see plenty of butts on the roof out the window. I survived of course but if that sort of thing really would bother you, I would not stay here.

The shared bathrooms were bare bones. There was no soap and no mirror. I'm getting better at shaving without a mirror these days. They could have been cleaner but I understand this is what happens when you share with many folks and some people staying at the Mad Monkey are obviously just plain pigs. In one shower, the water drain was completely clogged up one afternoon and I didn't realize it until I was well into my shower. I was able to clear it myself pretty fast myself. Bring some shower shoes for certain.

People left bathroom lights on at all times of the day too. They were screaming for a timer or a motion sensor. These things will pay for themselves over time too. It is obvious the owners could use a little environmental help if they really wanted it. Why not go green? Get some of that easy low hanging fruit like so many other hostels around the world have done.

What the Mad Monkey has is a party, a lively young crowd. Easy to find out about activities (literally placards on every room door). It all could be summarized "party of some sort every night and you're invited". If that's what you want stay here.

Room Tip: I hear the rooms on the opposite side of the street from the restaurant are much quitter. Avoid room...