“Cute boutique hotel”
Review of Le Safran La Suite

Le Safran La Suite
Ranked #54 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We spent one night in the hotel as we were arriving at 6pm and had to take a taxi to the Cardamom mountains the day after for a 4 hour ride. We choose the hotel mainly because of the restaurant attached so we have dinner immediately after check in.

It was a very good choice as we had a lovely dinner in the open air restaurant. We ordered Amok and Khmer fondue and for our son noodles with chicken. All three were delicious but specifically the Khmer fondue and noodles were really good. Both had a good combination of herbs, spices and sauce to give the dishes a delicious flavour. I was really impressed and would recommend this place to anyone.

The room was basic but designed nicely. It is Cambodia and we do not expect 5 star rooms when paying only little. The deluxe room had a nice balcony overlooking the pool and the garden. There was enough space for an extra bed for our son. The room was clean, they had some lovely lamps next to the bed. There were tea mking facilities, a cabinet and a spacious bathroom with walk in shower and enough towels for the three of us.

Staff were very helpfull. When we came down for a drink after we put our son to put, the restaurant was already closed (it was about 9.30pm) but they immediately served us drinks at the pool. When some guests arrived a bit later they even lit up the restaurant again and served dinner.

Room Tip: The rooms with balcony are the best, they have a lot of light and overlook the pool/garden
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 April 2012

Really depends on what you're looking for. I was here on business for about 2 weeks.

Location- If you're spending more than say 4 days, you would want good options to eat and drink closeby. La Safran is located very close to the Independence monument and the river side is a 20 min walk away or 5 mins by tuk-tuk.

Helpful staff- They have a bunch of eager helpful staff- they helped me sort out my tuk-tuks and bus tickets to Siem Reap over the weekend. They speak English reasonably well so no problems there.

Balcony- If you want a room with a balcony, where you can sit relax, enjoy the morning and the evening, this is a good option.
They also have a small library of sorts downstairs where you can just grab a book and laze on the couch in the evenings. There's also a small pool if you feel like relaxing in it, it's quite small you can't really 'swim-swim' but quite a few tourists enjoy what I'd call 'soaking up some water and then some sun' by the pool.

Breakfast is reasonably ok with reasonable options-fruit and coffee, rice noodles with chicken soup, croissant, pain au chocolate, omlette.(I don't remember all of it exactly but broadly this is what I recall) I had it everyday for 2 weeks so no problems there.

From my experience, for a solo traveler or a couple traveling to Phnom Penh, this is a good choice.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Keats S
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stayed 4 nights at the Le Safran La Suite Hotel and thought it was really nice when I arrived. The pool is small but clean and the hotel looked stylish, new and charming. The guys at the reception are very friendly, by welcoming and helpful. They organised me a bus and helped me with all questions and queries.
BUT: I booked the room for $38 per night, which is the lowest category they have. The rooms for $38 don't have windows!!! When I came into my room I thought it was only this room which had no window and asked to be moved to another room, however, all rooms in this category don't have windows upand unless you are willing to up the budget by $7 per night to get a room in the higher category this is what you get. I think $38 for a very minimalistic room with no window is a rather steep price.
Do not get your washing done at this hotel. I payed an astronomical price of almost $20 for a couple of t-shirts, some socks and underwear.... $20??? Really?
I do agree as well with a previous reviewer regarding the breakfast. It's just ok but really not great.

I did however very much enjoy the pool and the peacefulness of this place.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MS_travelingasia
Reviewed 3 April 2012

The hotel has a nice range of food and drinks in the restaurant but no cocktails - which would be nice around the pool ! The rooms in hospital white style capped minimalistic are spacious and bright ! The asset of this hotel is the staff which is not qualified but always smiling what makes my day ! Pool is small and clean !

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed at Le Safran for 10 nights (1 x 2, 2 x 4 nights) during our 3 week visit to Cambodia. The hotel is situated in a very quiet street but very close to the centre of the city - a short walk. We stayed in a deluxe room and the suite, both could not be faulted. The rooms are spacious, clean and have a fridge, tea/coffee making facilities as well as bathroom essentials and a safe and air conditioning. Bottled water was replenished each day. Breakfast is excellent, the bread was just like you get in France! There was a choice Omelets, boiled eggs, bacon, ham - plus fresgh fruit. There was also an Asian choice of Chicken Noodle soup - absolutely delicious! The staff at La Safran are extremely helpful and friendly. Sothira and her team at reception were always available to help with any queries we may have had. They organised transport for us on several occasions. We were able to leave luggage at the hotel whilst we were away for a few days at a time. In the middle of the day it was lovely to be able to come back to the swimming pool to cool off in. If we return to Phnom Penh we would not consider staying anywhere else but Le Safran. Thanks to the whole team for making our stay so pleasurable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Busy_Girl_HB
Reviewed 16 March 2012

The rooms are well decorated, the atmosphere is quite, with a taste of Khmer art. Nice small swimming pool in the garden, very friendly service and excellent food. I stayed four nights and will certainly try to have a room in the same hotel when I return to Phnom Penh.
It is located close to the Monument of Independence and close to all centers of interest.

Room Tip: Standard and superior rooms are fine. The suite is very large, wonderful, if you can offer it, it...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I go to Phnom Penh quite often because my daughter works there. It is an excellent place to stay -- if you have the self-discipline to avoid eating too much of their great food. Le Safran is the restaurant and it can be busy on weekends because it is very popular with local residents. The boutique hotel has less than 20 rooms, no elevator, and is quite modestly priced. But it is much quieter than many hotels in that price range even though it is quite close to the Quay and the center of the city. Even with the small number of rooms it has a pool of excellent quality and large enough to enjoy. If you demand "action city" chose another place. But it you want a place to rest and chill after exploring Phnom Penh you can't do better at this price range.

Room Tip: Room 10 is very good value, totally quiet, and just one flight up.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family