“Good Hotel with Modern Design”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Number 9 Hotel

Number 9 Hotel
Ranked #39 of 319 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Paris, France
“Good Hotel with Modern Design”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Nice room, quiet street. friendly and helpful staff. Good value for money.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
Dunedin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I travelled for a month through Vietnam and Cambodia and this was the best bang for buck I came across. It was also the newest and cleasnest hotel I stayed in too.

My experience was like this: fun locals working who joked about and had a laugh with us, bigger than usual single beds, nice sheets and furnishings, good internet access, three levels of communal areas to hang out it, cheap cocktails and a sweet as happy hour. I really can't complain about this place!

We didn't have towels in our room upon arrival, but they sent them up as soon as we asked. We stayed here on two seperate occassions in two different rooms. Out first room right ont he top level was much better so it would pay to check out the room before you settle in, just so you know what you're getting. To be fair though, we only slept there becasue it's much more fun to be out an about!

The staff were hilarious! After a few days the learnt our names and greeted us. Even though some of the bar staffs english wasn't the best, we could still communicate easily and more importantly they were keen to talk to us and help us out.

Do it.

We will be back xx

Travelled in a group, 3 males, 2 females from New Zealand.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room if you care enough! Some are smaller than others.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hollie0801
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

We had booked two rooms in advance. The hotel had just reserved one room. The room was hardly cleaned, and remains from the former guest was still in the bathroom. Now towels, we had to go and ask for it.The room was like an inside room whwere the so called window was 20 cm next to a wall outside. Gives you the feeling of a room with no window. This was room 102. We will not recomend this guesthouse. Other hotels in the area gives more value for less money.

Room Tip: Avoid 102 - ask for room with a wiew - not a wall outside

Travellers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Beijing
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

This place looks indeed good from the outside, but could be hit and miss once you committed to staying. More miss in my experience, as the overly confident management (older of the two guys) seems to be more interested in having a good time himself, than making sure the guest are happy.

turned up there just before midday to be told: "Hey, cool, no problem, we have a room for you, 15 bucks/night. Yes, includes wifi, pool, breakfast." Me: "does it have a firm/hard matress, I have a bad back?". "Yes, beds are very good! (did not really answer my question). Could you wait 15min, or so till its cleaned? Just sit over there, here is a welcome drink"

12:30. Me thinks, well, might take a little longer, I go round the corner for a bite to eat. Can I leave my bag? "Hey, no problem"

12:45. The younger manager comes over and asks, whether I am waiting for someone. I say, I am waiting for the room. "Oh, I see, whats your room No?" I tell him I have not got a room yet. "Oh, right. So what room are you after?"

mmmh... I guess not much communication going on there. He walks off to check. Comes back and tells me they don't have any rooms for 15$/night, but 20$night is available. I tell him, thats not what I was told earlier. We agree on 17.50$/night for the double bedroom.

I get the room around 13:30. The mattress is some foamy affair, that means you sink into the middle, whilst the edges stay up. Its not the worst I have seen, but not good, nor firm. There is some stains on the cleaned sheet, and a whole in the pillow case. Oh well, its ok. Its clean. I go to the bathroom, have a shower, and notice a lake accumulating quickly on the floor, as the drainage seems blocked. I keep the shower short, have a rest, go out after a few hours and tell the reception they should kindly unblock the drainage. 5 hrs later I am back - is the drainage unblocked. No. They say they cannot get hold of a plumber. I ask for the surely manager. He is less surely now. Lots of mmmh and oh and aha. I ask him what he is going to do... more mmmh, oh, aha.

I start to get a little annoyed, and tell him, it does not need a plumber, but someone to clean the drainage, as it appears to be blocked by hair etc, from previous guests. And since nobody seems to be doing anything about it, I would do it myself... Sod this. Off I go.

5min into being back in my room, one of the cleaning staff knocks on the door. I open and let him deal with it. He finally has the foresight to remove the whole cover and presto - problem solved.

The room was at the front of the building, 4th floor, and whilst someone mentioned the noisy vent shaft next to room 501, one floor above, its also noisy there. Bearable, but its noisy, as the jacuzzi one floor down is also party area.

The Jacuzzi itself looks great from afar, but seems to go uncleaned for days, and 'shower before you use the jacuzzi policy" is neither observed nor enforced. The jacuzzi hence is a luke warm affair of oily water with grime and other stuff inside, but looks good from afar.

In conclusion. The place has great potential, some of the best common areas for guests to relax, decent wifi, a bar, food (not tried it). The staff are nice, but let down by the party and unproffessional management. Get the pool cleaned, get some decent mattresses, keep facilities working and this would be a sure 5 star bet.

Currently it is not.

Room Tip: if you want a view off the party area, go for the front rooms. Otherwise try and see if the ones at...
2 Thank Olli G
Phnom Penh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

This hotel is a little gem. Located right near the Independence Monument, it is run by an Australian couple who take pride in giving great service. The rooms are a decent size with cable flat screen tv, wifi, complimentary water, bathroom accessories and great showers. The balconies have cane lounges and are a great place to hang with a cool drink during the hot PP summer. If you need a dip, the pool, although small, is clean and refreshing. It's such a bonus to have the option of swimming in Phnom Penh. Room rate includes breakfast which I thought was great. The restaurant meals are good and the staff know how to make a decent cocktail. Definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank PhnomPenhVern
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

This place is awesome. Comfiest beds and pillows of my whole 2 month trip. Cable tv, free wifi everywhere, excellent restaurant and fun bar downstairs. The jacuzzi and public areas are to die for, lots of seating and loungers to sun yourself, hard to come by in PP. Pool table on the 2nd floor. A little piece of paradise! Gorgeous! Awesome restaurant across the street, Happy House, with a MASSIVE menu (at least 15 pages!), ranging from local food, to Indian, Italian, Mexican, and ever-changing list of about 10 specials, brought us back night after night. HUGE portions as well.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

I got to this place on the advice of a local tuk-tuk driver after I got off the boat coming up the Mekong from Ho Chi Minh City.

I was skeptical at first when I met the driver but he was insistent that this was the best place to stay for 15 US dollars a night....and I'm sure he was right. The place just opened in the fall sometime. I was told by the staff that it had been open for 3 months.

The staff was very friendly and spoke good English. The rooms very excellent, good size, everything worked..as one would expect from a new hotel.

There is an outside jacuzzi on one of the upper floors, about the 3rd I think. There is also a small bar up there. There is a restaurant, although I didn't eat there.

The location is decent. 5 Minute walk to the Royal Palace and National Museum. Close to shopping and night life.

I'll be staying here again when I go back to Phnom Penh without a doubt.

Room Tip: All rooms are new since the place is just a few months old as of December 2011. There is no life tha...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo