“had my wallet stolen from restaurant”
Review of Number 9 Hotel

Number 9 Hotel
Ranked #34 of 322 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Nanjing, China
“had my wallet stolen from restaurant”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Have to give this place a poor review because of this and a couple of other things. Got there Sunday and was put in a big room which was OK except the key wouldn't open the door even the staff couldn't get the door to unlock, had to get the cleaning service key. Next day moved to a single room. That night (partially my fault) I had my wallet stolen from the restaurant when I accidentally left it on a table and went up to my room didn't discover it missing until the next morning. Staff didn't seem to care about my problem (bet one of them took it). Alan the manager was somewhat friendly and looked over the video but saw nothing apparently the table was in the one dead spot in the video. Also he wouldn't call the police so I could file a report said it would cost me $200 to file a report. Also not offered any help in even finding the Korean Embassy (I live in Korea and needed a re-entry permit since my Korean alien ID card was stolen) or calling Thai Airways to change my ticket so I can get back to Seoul. Heck he didn't even offer to waive the $5 late check out fee for me

Wifi wouldn't work in my room either seems like 305 is a dead spot, again went to complain and the staff didn't seem to care. Food prices in restaurant seemed expensive even compared to other guesthouses along the strip there, wound up eating in other guesthouses.

not worth it given the rude staff, yeah what happened to me was partially my fault but if you are going to have extensive video coverage you should cover the front of the place where the tuk-tuk drivers hang out

2 Thank rrac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
Pai
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I stayed here recently for 5 days? 6 days? It's a nice clean updated hotel. Nice furniture and decor. My room was small and had a view of a brick wall, but it was the cheap room. The bed was comfortable, clean sheets, clean bathroom stocked with shampoo, toothbrush etc. The staff was lovely and accommodated all my requests. I ordered mostly Western food and was pleasantly surprised at the selection and quality of the food. I live in Thailand and have gotten used to Western food not tasting quite right. They do it right here. The food is a bit spendy for Cambodia but they have specials for ~ $5/meal and you're really paying for the atmosphere. For cheaper eats, you can stroll out to any local place. All in all a nice comfortable place to stay in the chaos of Phnom Penh. Only downside is that it's a bit far from the shopping/bar areas. You'll need a tuk tuk for about $1-2.

2 Thank NomaicGypsy33
Manila
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We did not want to go to the riverside so we decided to eat here, since the ambiance seems good. The menu looks delightful too. I ordered tom yum chicken and my husband had asked for fish and chips. When the tom yum was set on the table, it was very soupy...very thin sauce and it looks like the cook just enjoyed pouring water. I already finished eating and that's the only time my husband's food arrived.

Their mango shake is terrible.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ASEManila

Travellers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

New York Mills, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I tried the massage at Oriental Massage and it was so fantastic. Immediately i step out of Number nine hotel. Tuk Tuk driver asked me where do you want to go. I said massage. They said massage here is no good, then they took me to the other massage about 10 minute by tuk tuk. I spent 25 dollar for the massage and it was so very terrible massage. Finally i try the one near Number nine hotel" Oriental Spa" the massage was so very good, friendly, great service and quality and i spend only 7 dollar for body massage. Finally i found that all tuk tuk drivers there are cheating to get some commission if they bring me to the other places. The hotel and location there excellent, lovely stay but never get any recommendation from Tuk Tuk"

1 Thank Bob C
Kailua, Hawaii
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed for two nights. Hotel is very nicely decorated. A double twin room was very small. Hotel does not provide bottled water in the room. This is the only hotel I've stayed at in Cambodia that had not provided bottled water in the room. Food at hotel is overpriced. Hotel is rather noisy. Good location. Nothing special!

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AmyfromKailua
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

I was recommended hotel number 9 by a friend and colleague. I was told it was a cheap and cheerful hotel. When I got there is was pleasantly surprised to see how well appointed it was. The room I stayed in was small but very clean and just right for one person. I had no window but enjoyed having a sleep in without one. The staff were friendly and efficient. Would definitely recommend it to others :)

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Kasooie87
Linkoping, Sweden
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two weeks. The staff at the bar is friendly and helpful and the Wi-fi is good and also the location is great. Thats about all that is good with this place. The cleaners did not clean the rooms good and they skipped a few days sometimes. The manager is not helpful at all. He only pretends to be. I got some money and items stolen from my room, and he was going to look at the security camera and help my in different ways. At first he was really nice and helpful and said that if I needed anything it was only to send him an email. I needed a verification for my insurance company that this really occurred so I send an email asking for that. He has not yet replied and it has been 6 weeks.
So choose another hotel!