“A bit seedy”

Ranked #34 of 325 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“A bit seedy”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I stayed here with two other females in their triple room for three nights. The first night was a nightmare as there were incredibly rowdy guests staying next door and when we politely asked them to keep it down, the (drunk) guest got very belligerent...when you're a 120lb female facing a 200+ lb drunk guy at 3am it can be a little scary. Another woman had joined us in our complaint and, after the guest got increasingly aggressive, revealed that she was the owner of the hotel and kicked them out the next morning. So that was nice. However, even then I found the hotel to be loud. I also noticed a lot of the guests of the hotel were blatantly exploiting very young Khmer women. It was pretty outraging to watch and it definitely gave the hotel a creepy/seedy vibe. I wouldn't recommend this place for families..at all. For three women traveling together it was fine. The doors were double-bolted and there were bars over the windows. The bar had some pretty good frozen fruity drink-things and the location was as safe as Phnom Penh gets. But I wouldn't stay here again. The guests entertaining prostitutes was a deal-breaker for me.

1 Thank Sheena S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
San Francisco Area
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Stayed one night here. The rooms were satisfactory. The staff was courteous. Happy hour specials are a good deal, 2 for 1. Quiet at night. Good location to major sites. Cheap massage places on the same street.

2 Thank Msjem00
Kampong Cham, Cambodia
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I didn't stay there over night, but I used to go there during the happy hours. They do the best cocktails in town as far as I know and during the happy hours it is 2 for 1 since the cocktails are only 3 USD this is a very good deal. The rooftop bar with a small pool is very nice and quiet and the staff is very friendly. The guy working during happy hours (Chandi) is very polite and knows how to treat a customer well. I haven't had such a good English speaking staff for a long time. It's possible to have good conversations about pretty much everything. This guy defintetly earns some respect since he does everything to please the guests.

A must when you're in PP!

2 Thank siu42
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I'm convinced that this hotel/guesthouse is the best value for your dollar in Phnom Penh. I stayed in the hotel for over 3 weeks, after staying in many other places in the city. I did a LOT of research and checked out many low-medium budget options. Number 9 takes the cake in terms of getting more than pay for.

Be careful not to confuse it with Hotel Nine. I stayed at Hotel Nine and it's 4 times the price and worse quality.

Number 9 is cheap (I booked on Agoda) and very clean. The staff are friendly and helpful. It's also very safe, which was a main concern for me as I was a solo woman traveller at the time. There are bolt locks on the doors, bars on the windows, video surveillance of the hallways and 24 hour reception. Surprisingly few hotels in Phnom Penh have all these things because the pricier hotels don't want to put bars over the windows since it might make it look "scary" for tourists. Doesn't make them safer though! Breakfast is not included, but there is a decent menu. There's a small pool, a bar and two nice dining areas.

On the MAJOR downside, there were always several guests sharing their evenings with prostitutes, some who were VERY young. I was extremely disturbed by this, and for this reason I actually considered giving the hotel a much lower rating. Guest should not be permitted to exploit women and girls. Period. It made the evening vibe creepy and sad. While the main responsibility for this is on the creepy guests, it would be preferable if the hotel had a policy (which many do) that kept this sort of exploitation outside its doors. It would be particularly good to see the hotel join ChildSafe or a similar coalition of hotels that take an active stand against child exploitation.

I still give the hotel a 4 because it really is clean and extremely safe for solo female travellers (despite the sketchy guests), and very affordable. They could charge double what they do for the quality of place.

2 Thank JLMillar
Nanjing, China
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Have to give this place a poor review because of this and a couple of other things. Got there Sunday and was put in a big room which was OK except the key wouldn't open the door even the staff couldn't get the door to unlock, had to get the cleaning service key. Next day moved to a single room. That night (partially my fault) I had my wallet stolen from the restaurant when I accidentally left it on a table and went up to my room didn't discover it missing until the next morning. Staff didn't seem to care about my problem (bet one of them took it). Alan the manager was somewhat friendly and looked over the video but saw nothing apparently the table was in the one dead spot in the video. Also he wouldn't call the police so I could file a report said it would cost me $200 to file a report. Also not offered any help in even finding the Korean Embassy (I live in Korea and needed a re-entry permit since my Korean alien ID card was stolen) or calling Thai Airways to change my ticket so I can get back to Seoul. Heck he didn't even offer to waive the $5 late check out fee for me

Wifi wouldn't work in my room either seems like 305 is a dead spot, again went to complain and the staff didn't seem to care. Food prices in restaurant seemed expensive even compared to other guesthouses along the strip there, wound up eating in other guesthouses.

not worth it given the rude staff, yeah what happened to me was partially my fault but if you are going to have extensive video coverage you should cover the front of the place where the tuk-tuk drivers hang out

2 Thank rrac

Travellers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Pai
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I stayed here recently for 5 days? 6 days? It's a nice clean updated hotel. Nice furniture and decor. My room was small and had a view of a brick wall, but it was the cheap room. The bed was comfortable, clean sheets, clean bathroom stocked with shampoo, toothbrush etc. The staff was lovely and accommodated all my requests. I ordered mostly Western food and was pleasantly surprised at the selection and quality of the food. I live in Thailand and have gotten used to Western food not tasting quite right. They do it right here. The food is a bit spendy for Cambodia but they have specials for ~ $5/meal and you're really paying for the atmosphere. For cheaper eats, you can stroll out to any local place. All in all a nice comfortable place to stay in the chaos of Phnom Penh. Only downside is that it's a bit far from the shopping/bar areas. You'll need a tuk tuk for about $1-2.

2 Thank NomaicGypsy33
Manila
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We did not want to go to the riverside so we decided to eat here, since the ambiance seems good. The menu looks delightful too. I ordered tom yum chicken and my husband had asked for fish and chips. When the tom yum was set on the table, it was very soupy...very thin sauce and it looks like the cook just enjoyed pouring water. I already finished eating and that's the only time my husband's food arrived.

Their mango shake is terrible.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple