“a must-stay hotel in a must-visit city”
Review of White Mansion

White Mansion
Ranked #7 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
austin
“a must-stay hotel in a must-visit city”
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Our stay at White Mansion was five nights, and I would have gladly stayed another week, both for the hotel and the fascinating city of Phnom Penh. Phnom Penh is exploding with activity, fantastic architecture, and good food, and White Mansion is right in the thick of it. It's a short tuk-tuk ride to pretty much everything in the city, and Street 240 is the place to be.

The historic building's transformation into an elegant hotel was done with great precision and attention to detail. Despite the high energy of the city, White Mansion is situated on a quiet block, so noise is not a problem. We had a twin suite, although our "twin" beds were actually generously sized. Double doors opened into a large room with a very high ceiling, shiny granite floors in both room and bath, with big windows overlooking the city. I loved walking into this beautiful room...such a cool reprieve from the sounds, chaos, and humidity of Phnom Penh. We also took advantage of the spa services at the hotel, where I received the best Thai massage of my life for an astonishingly low price.

We decided to hire a car and driver for a day trip to the Killing Fields--mandatory for anyone who wants to understand Cambodia's history and the genocide's legacy--and were unsure of what we could add to the itinerary. One of the desk clerks (Davuth?) saw us puzzling over it in the lobby, and went out of his way to volunteer information for a full day's trip involving a number of other stops. The hotel made all arrangements, and our driver also had some suggestions. Traffic is thick and slow on the way out of town, and the roads tend to be dusty, so a nice cool car, instead of a tuk-tuk, is well worth the expense, if you can swing it. Plus you can see so much more. I would highly recommend our careful, experienced driver, Kosal (who is also a really nice guy.)

To make a long story a little longer: good breakfast choices (we tried them all), smooth airport transfers (again with Kosal), complimentary soft drinks in minibar, quiet a/c and ceiling fan, and a great staff who truly care about their guests.

1 Thank tripartist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brooklyn New York
Reviewed 17 November 2012

The hotel was beautiful. Very elegant, clean and well appointed rooms. Spa was great and very reasonably priced. A lovely outdoor pool area as well. Close to all attractions and tuk tuks were always available right outside the door. But what made this hotel so special was the wonderful staff. From the people who opened the doors and took the luggage, right up to the managerial staff everyone was friendly and so attentive. As a matter of fact we spent a lot of time chatting with the two managers. They were very helpful in recommending what to see, how to get there, where to eat etc. When we got back they were interested in our experiences. We were quite sad to leave this beautiful place.

1 Thank sheila5199
Upland California
Reviewed 17 November 2012

This is my second time to Phnom Penh. I love Cambodia more than any place I have been to in Asia. The last time I was here I stayed at the FCC hotel which was good and had a view of the Mekong which was a plus. No view here, but let me give you the 411 on this place.

When we arrived we were tended to by no fewer than five employees. I couldn't believe it. And it wasn't trite or fake. They really meant it. I mentioned to the head guy "the trip took almost 20 hours from my home" and he said "Welcome this is your home now". Nice.

I had heard that this was the former residence of the U.S. Ambassador to Cambodia. It looks new inside. Lots of marble and impeccably furnished.

The room I had was fairly huge. The shower was fabulous. The TV was a new flat screen. I can't think of anything else I could ask for. They gave us a very nice fruit dish in our rooms. What's interesting is all the fruit on the dish I had never seen before. Pretty exotic.

The location is very central. You can take a tuk tuk anywhere for just a couple bucks. If you want a driver or guide contact me and I will give you the best guy who I have kind of adopted. He is typical of the best of Cambodia. A gentle soul that really cares. Just writing this makes me want to jump on a plane.

Forgot to mention you can get an in-room massge. My therapist was incredible and as I recall it was around $15 for an hour. It was so great I had her stay another half hour.

Don't forget to go to the famous nightclub called "The Heart of Darkness" and buy one of their t-shirts. If you want to live on the edge you can go to an airborne military base (not much of a base) and shoot anything from an AK47 to a grenade launcher. I tossed a grenade, and my friend Joe fired a grenade launcher. The people that run it are very cool and remembered us from last year.

I like a view of the river, but will give it up to stay here. It is that good. As the manager said to me, it is now my home in Phnom Penh.

One more comment on Cambodia. Land here and hire a prvate car to take you to Angkor Wat. You can do it for $100. The trip takes close to six hours a I remember but you will see the people and how they live on the way.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Very elegant, clean and classy hotel in the centre of Phnom Penh. Great walled garden with sunloungers and swimming pool. Free bottled water and soft drinks in the mini bar, very reasonably priced beauty therapies. Good breakfasts. Tuk-Tuk or taxi service available outside the door. Nice touches such as fresh fruit platter on arrival, nightly turn down service with snack.

nyc
Reviewed 15 November 2012

One of the best stays on our tour in Vietnam and Cambodia.
The staff was very attentive and we immediately felt at home.
Location was good and only a few minutes with Tuk Tuk to the different attractions.
After a long and hot day, a dip in the pool was very welcom.

Room Tip: The suite was a good choice.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel twice and both times the staff were so friendly and incredibly helpful. The hotel itself is new, so still in very good condition. It has a lovely cool atmosphere with high ceilings and tiled floors. I only had the healthy breakfast option, which was delicious and well presented.

Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We booked this Hotel based on reviews on trip advisor. We were booking for four other family members too all meeting up in Cambodia from Malaysia, Chicago and Adelaide. As the booking was,left to us the pressure was on. This boutique Hotel was perfect, beautifully decorated, very clean and the staff were all very pleasant and helpful. I would definitely recommend this Hotel. We only stayed for one night but would have been happy to,stay longer.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple