“2 different buildings”

Ranked #143 of 317 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“2 different buildings”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

This hotel has 2 different apartments next to each other. Or decorations were different. The first room we had, that was more French style and new I would give 4 points for it. The room was very clean and nice decorated but we didn't have any view. Internet was great. But when we wanted to change our room staffs were fine with it. Other room had better view, but it was older and noisy and we had a big hole in our hot tub, I would give 3 points for it. But it was a clean hotel. Breakfast include and nice. The staffs are very nice and gentle, trustful. Location is in the middle of everywhere.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ayşegül F

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Thai first
Selangor, Selangor, Malaysia
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We stayed here for 1 night before continuing on to Siem Reap. Room was clean and the food at the restaurant was really delicious, Located close to the Royal Palace and shops and other food stalls, We walked to the riverside and had a glimpse of the Royal Palace at night. Owner and the staff was helpful. Good place and affordable

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jay J
Mundford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

great location right in front of the royal palace and close to a good street for food and drink. during our stay the only issues we had was someone try and get into our room late at night, probably another guest who'd had 'a few' and got lost. the mini bar wasn't stocked even though requests were made when we booked online, but there was a shop just round the corner for all your needs which would total less than mini bar rates. putting that aside the stay was pleasant the staff we're friendly, we checked out early and made our way to the other side of Cambodia where we then realized we'd left our passports in the room! as soon as we contacted the hotel he had someone bring our passports to our new location by the following morning for $5 which we are eternally grateful for as we would of been looking at a $100+ back track to retrieve them.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kristine C
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Avoid at all cost!

The first night we spent in the room someone with a key, probably staff, locked themselves into the room and stole money from me and my friend.

What is strange is that they did not take any other stuff, I had over 25.000 u$d of camera equipment and a Macbook that was not touched. But the money they stole was in the pocket of my pants laying 3 feet from my head and the money stolen from my friend was in his wallet, in his backpack. We were concerned that we did not wake up while someone was in our room and startet thinking that we were drugged in the hotel restaurant, which is very unlikely.

The second night we spent in Siem Reap, and we left clothes and some smaller bills in the room. Nothing but the bills were missing. We did not confront the staff about the theft, but we should probably have done it. The last night there one of the staff knocked on our door and asked if we wanted two girls to come to our room to give us "massages" , which we politely declined. While he was at our door he was really interested in what was in the room, eyeballing my camera gear etc. That night we took no chances and barricaded the door with a large cabinet and a tv. That night, luckily, nothing got stolen.

The hotel itself was dirty, the rooms were poorly maintained and the breakfast was a joke.

So I say this again: Avoid at ALL cost!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank agentbird

Travellers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I've stayed here multiple times for up to two weeks at a time since 2010. It's a nice hotel.

The people who work here have always been very pleasant to us and our friends.

Most of the rooms in the main hotel are large and comfortable. As with all hotels in this part of the world, check the room, the bed, the shower and the AC to make sure everything is to your liking and works before dragging your bags up the stairs.

The location is great. It's a short walk to the National Museum, the Royal Palace and Riverside which has a huge variety of restaurants and bars.

The prices have always been fair, even when the hotel was full.

The restaurant makes a good breakfast and the pasta is also very good.

I did notice during my last two stays in Jan/Feb 2013 that the rooms weren't cleaned often while we were there but that was partly due to changing rooms as I hadn't made proper reservations and may have been because I didn't follow the directions and put the CLEAN ROOM door handle sign out. It may also have been due to the King's cremation ceremony and Chinese New Year. Whatever the reason, they were happy to give me my 2 bottles of water a day at the desk and I suspect that had I asked, they would have also been happy to send someone up.

They have lockers downstairs, near the front desk and you can use your own padlock if it makes you feel more secure.

The WiFi has been fairly good in the rooms I've stayed in. It's a little slow but that's the same most places.

I've been told that since the management change, policies have been made better. While I've never had a problem here, it might be reassuring to those of you who are reading the old reviews to know that.

My one night in the second location (two doors west) was cramped but everything seemed to be clean and new.

I suspect that some of the negative reviews have come from people who have never traveled outside of their home country before. Phnom Penh is noisy, crazy and a little overwhelming if it's your first time in SE Asia! That being said, this hotel is nicer, calmer and quieter than many others that I'd stayed at including ones that were twice the price.

Room Tip: There are a few interior rooms without exterior windows that seem quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Roy68
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Good, basic hotel very close to the very few attractions Phnom Penh can offer and a short stroll form the riverwalk. Large, clean rooms, huuuuge bathroom, The only negative is that is noisy.
I am truly surprised by the negative comments by some of the people before us, I really don't know what they expect to get for 25 dollars a night, smack in the middle of downtown. Yes, this is a small hotel, with no elavator, but our rooms were huge, the aircon worked (after several tries, but the staff responded immediately) and the bathroom was bigger than most hotel rooms we stayed at with good hot water and totally normal towels.
You get what you paid for, if you are looking for comfortable rooms at a bargain price at a great location. OK, there is no turn-down service at night, and you don't get to choose your pillow from a "pillow menu", but you are paying per night as much as you would pay for breakfast for two in a large hotel
The only downside is the noise. Unfortunately it is not only because of the construction site right across the street (that will be done by Feb. 2013), but it is in a noisy part of town. The breakfast isn't anything to rave about either.
We also stayed two nights with my three teenagers and were all satisfied with the hotel. They even managed to get us packed breakfast, because we left too early to eat at the regular restaurant.
Overall it was good choice for us.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank utas2010
Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights, room wasn't cleaned whilst we were there, we had only 2 towels that weren't replaced during our stay. When we arrived in the room there was only half a toilet roll that wasn't replaced either. Floor mat was dirty. Phone to reception didn't work and we were on the very top floor with no lift! Aircon barely worked, and the mini fridge was empty. Also we didn't realise when we booked that we were right beside a 24hour building site that was so noisy! We paid the same price for our previous hotel in Siam reap and the difference was night and day, all in all was not good value for money.

• Stayed December 2012