“2 Unhappy Backpackers”

11 Happy Backpackers
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Before arriving we checked on agoda.com to see I there were any rooms available. There were loads. When we arrived we specified that we wanted hot water so were quoted $20 for a room. No wifi and no aircon. (Even the really budget hotels for $8 a room with no window have wifi). I complained that it was too expensive so the woman at the front desk reduced it to $18. We had to take it as we couldn't find another room elsewhere and she also kept saying that it was her last room. After taking a look at the room I went on agoda.com to double check prices only to find that according to agoda there were a number of rooms left, 6 of them being rooms with hot water and aircon for $16. I showed the woman this and she said it was wrong and shouted at me telling me if i didn't believe her I should get out. Excellent customer service. I reasoned that agoda could have made a mistake until in walked another couple asking for a room for the night. All of a sudden ours wasn't the only room left. Later on in the day my other half witnessed the same thing happening again, so we had clearly being lied to. On top of that our 'hot' shower that we paid extra for was luke warm at best, our toilet didn't flush, there was blood on the curtains and a burn hole in our bed sheet. Although the roof top bar was cool, the music was loud and intrusive which ruined the atmosphere up there. Disappointed to say the least.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Kate R

Reviewed 24 January 2014

While I didn't stay here I did drink in the bar, and get excellent advice from Jasper and the Staff regarding tours around Phnom Penh and onward travel to Siam Reap.

They arranged my Tuk Tuk with a great english speaking driver for tours of S21 Museum and the Killing Fields and I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 January 2014

If u travel to Phnom Penh , stay at 11 backpackers .... Great place .... Nice staff ... Rooms are comfy and they have a super roof top bar which has some good draft beer , cocktails n food . Staying at this place was a good start to the trip ... Totally recommend it ..

Room Tip: If ur in a group of 3 or 4 .. They have 2 double beds in one room which are like king size .. Value...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

The hostel is perfect for backpackers. Great place to meet new friends and they can organise trips for you at the reception. The rooftop is good and they serve food together with facilities such as two pool tables, a tv, couches and tables. However they play loud music until 2am so bring earplugs.

The bad part is that the dorms lack locks for your luggage if you have computer and things like that with you.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2014

They do offer hot water here, but only in the more expensive suites. I stayed in a dorm. The single rooms were twice as much. There were no clean towels in the rooms or the dorm, but the staff provided them when asked. The rooftop bar was full of friendly and helpful staff I spent most of my time in Phnom Pehn there. The front desk was a little difficult to deal with at times. The food was average, but sanitary (only place I've had a salad in Cambodia). Theatre was small and cozy, the ticket price (3.50USD) seemed high, but was good for all four of the days movies.

I highly recommend checking out the rooftop bar, even if you stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We ate here a few times during our 5 day stay and enjoyed the best breakfast, dinner and cocktails that Phnom Phen had to offer. The staff are lovely and would do anything to keep us happy, one order came out wrong and they immediately took it back to the kitchen without question. The atmosphere is chilled but the guy behind the bar gave us control of the music playlist when it was busy. It's not in the centre of all the action but is located on the backpacker st which is away from town. We preferred eating and drinking here as it was much cheaper than by the river and had a much more relaxed feeling. Great place!!

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

During a trip through southeast Asia, we unfortunately ran into this place. Granted the lobby and the rooftop was nice, and nice to have. But the rooms... Our small room looked horrible and filthy. Dirty towels, hot room (with two fans), noise from the bar upstairs. Oh yeah and there wasn't any water in the room, (I don't mean hot) I mean none at all! Neither in the shower, sink nor toilet!! When I brought up the issue they couldn't have cared less, which is bad service in my opinion. I believe that the attitude of luring people with a beautiful trap, and receive no service whatsoever is wrong. This saga ended with me getting up at 5 am searching for other options. Glad I left that place. I would never recommend this place even to people im not fond of.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple