“Loved the roof top! Not a quiet place”

and 1 more site!
11 Happy Backpackers
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Spent 2 nights here, in a double bed room with AC. Good value for money. The roof top is really cool, loads of space to chill out, good music, nice staff. But quite noisy at night so if you're not in the mood to party it might not be the right place for you. Personally I slept through the noise anyway and enjoyed my AC !!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Anya N

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have traveled Asia for over 20 months the last three years and never have I encountered such incompetence and inadequate staff training/treatment in a hostel/guesthouse/hotel before. This goes for the staff as for the management and even the manager.

I must also say that I have stayed in Cambodia for over 5 months in a row now, and the people working in this place is just not as nice as your regular Cambodian.

This whole sad story started when I put some of my cloth for laundry. First of all, they have an extremely expensive laundry service there (1.50 $/kg). Go right around the corner and you get half the price in a real laundry shop. Anyways, back to “the story”. When I got my laundry back, two of my shorts was extremely discolored thus now rendered useless. I went down to the reception to ask them politely how we could solve this problem as I had encountered this exact same thing in a normal laundry shop a week before this happened, and in this laundry shop (in street 110) they immediately offered to fix it for free or, if they could not, they would give me compensation for my ruined clothes. A fair deal. They eventually fixed my clothes.

This was far from the case in “11 Happy”. First the lady in the reception said this was MY fault because I hadn’t told them to wash the clothes separately when I delivered the laundry. To be honest, I just assumed that they know how to wash clothes – because well – they offer a laundry service, but apparently not. Also, I have never experienced this in any other laundry shop during the 20 something months I`ve been roaming Asia. Just saying – and they choose to put the blame on ME.

Anyways, after the staff (several staff members gathered around me and they got quite hostile) had turned down every suggestion I had, (Among them, I asked them to wash my shorts one more time and see if they can fix it, and if they could not, they could give me 50% of the price I bought the clothes for, which was 10$, and 50% off on the laundry bill). They just said bluntly no. I asked to talk to the manager. The staff members told me this was not possible because the manager attended a school, but that she would be available and we could talk to her at 21:00. So I went down to the lobby at 21:00 to wait for the manager. At 21:30 I asked some of the staff if the manager was arriving anytime soon and he confirmed that she was “just two minutes away”. When the manager had not arrived at 22:30, and the staff showed no sign of caring for contacting her in any way, my wife and I went out for dinner. I did not see the manager that evening.

There is also another part in this sad story. My wife and I stayed at this Guesthouse a few days because we were looking for a new apartment. My wife is Cambodian, she study English and Korean and has been working part time jobs for a long time to support her studies. This Guesthouse has a strict non-sex tourism policy which I think is great! But the whole staff talked about my wife like she was a bargirl, and they almost denied her to sleep there one night. This is unacceptable! If you have an Asian girlfriend and come to this place, they apparently automatically think she is a bargirl.

The day later when we was checking out, the manager was gone again and we was left with the very unaccommodating staff. I asked them to call the manager so that I could give her my offer of compensation as mentioned earlier. She bluntly said no and also blamed ME for what had happened.

So, I cannot in any way recommend this guesthouse. The only positive thing about the place is a beautiful rooftop restaurant and one or two amazing staff-members.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank EricGreen
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

The rooftop bar is awesome, and a great way to meet new friends, but my visit overall was less than pleasant. First off, if you stay here, check the bed to see whether it's got bugs. I left this morning and my legs are covered in bites now. Not fun. Also, be sure not to leave any stuff out because housekeeping might snatch it. A few of my items walked away and after talking to the front desk several times about it, I finally got my hairbrush back... But my face sunscreen was never returned. The sink wasn't working at the dorm I was staying in and the AC could hardly be felt. If you're looking for comfort and cleanliness, this is probably not the place. If those two things don't mean anything to you, then stay here because you'll have a great time upstairs.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We took an en-suite double room with a fan here for $10/night, and it was more than adequate.

We were first shown a room with no window but asked to see another room with a window, and it was the same price. They may obviously try and fill this room first but don't forget to just ask if that's what you'd prefer or haggle down the price if that isn't an option.

The room was clean, and did just the job; the fan wasn't great but we couldn't be bothered to upgrade to air con and PP is sweltering anyway.

Asking for a room with a window came back to haunt us as building work started early but we got a dollar knocked off the room so can't complain.

The upstairs bar area was great with tv, computers, pool table, darts and plenty of space to relax.

Most of the staff were really friendly apart from one short dude who was just rude and pushy, which kind of ruined a nice chilled evening on the roof.

This place is also next to a cinema although we didn't use it as we wanted to see a particularly film and we were recommended the empire theatre; an a/c room with cushions and chairs showing movies all day for just a single entry fee. A great place to escape the heat!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Thanks 11 Happy! This is one of the best hostels where I've been so far. We stayed here for 4 days. The staff is super friendly and always happy, they wanna help you with anything. And one the best things of the hostel is the moviehouse and for sure the rooftopbar, the best place to stay to meet other people and drink a beer! The rooms are clean and the beds in a double room are really huge.

When you visit Phnom Penh, I recommend you this hostel!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The rooftop bar is brilliant for meeting people, and the beer was ok. Personally I thought the music was about the right volume. We met lots of different people and had no problem conversing. A couple of the staff are brilliant, but the majority are non descript. Can only get wifi upstairs! Food is average. Good location, the flicks is literally next door. Windowless rooms are a bit grim but if you can put up with that the rooms are ok. If anything my shower was too hot. The air con wasn't great mainly because we couldnt get it to work. If you have a sleeping bag get the cheapest room you can as it's a couple of dollars cheaper and all your missing out on is the air con, which the fans do a good job of anyway.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I came several times to Phnom Penh for i used to live next door on Phu Quoc island in Viet Nam. 11 Happy is a good deal. Rooms are okay, the location is perfect and the top roof restaurant and bar is a great place to chill out by the end of the day or to get dinnee and to enjoy a beer. The staff is friendly, smiley and quite helpful.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends