“Happy haven in Phnom Penh”

and 1 more site!
11 Happy Backpackers
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Loved this place! It has a bar/restaurant on the top floor that sells food and drinks at a good price. The rooms are clean and have a private bathroom and air con and or fan, also dorm rooms. Within easy walking to river front and Grand Palace. The staff are very friendly and helpful. At night the roof bar cranks the music but we couldn't hear it in our room. We stayed for a week and went back on our return to Phnom Penh

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for 11 Happy Backpackers

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I booked this place over Agoda after hearing about the rooftop bar, but being warned about its noise levels.
We paid for a twin room with an ensuite and air con but instead had a room with a fan WITH NO WINDOWS. Who in their right minds wants a room with no windows?! It was horrible like being in a prison, especially when combined with the very old fashioned and rusty bolt locks on the doors. I tell a lie actually, there was a window because in the bathroom there was a gap the size of the brick that led onto the stairwell which was a pleasant experience. The bed was terrible as well, mine sank so far down I felt crippled in the morning.
Like other reviewers mentioned, the noise from the bar was tremendous, the only saving grace was that the fan was so loud it drowned a lot of the bar noise out. We thought at least this meant the bar would be an attraction where lots of people liked to hang out but there didn't seem to be that many people there, they just liked having the volume on full the whole time. The only wi-fi as well was on the rooftop bar which meant that you couldn't make any calls whilst there.
Our other issue was with the air con which we paid for. We alerted staff soon after our arrival that we had paid for a fan but had air con. They said they'd move us (although we didn't really mind, it was more that we'd paid for the air con) but no one came. We mentioned it several times throughout our stay until I asked the lady at the desk for the difference back because we hadn't received the service we paid for. She said she couldn't do this though until the owner was back and she wasn't back until shortly after we were due to depart, early the next morning. We got up especially early the next morning so we could talk to the owner who was rude, accusatory but eventually gave us the price difference back.
I wouldn't really recommend this place, seems like they're trying to appeal to the average backpacker but haven't got the basics right at all.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We booked this place from our hostel in Sihanoukville, planning to get there the next day - receiving confirmation that we had a room. Upon our arrival, there was no room reserved for us! However, they said they did have a room that was "a bit noisey". We were tired so we figured what the heck. We get to the room, it seems moderately clean, the washroom had leaking water everywhere and was not that clean.

That night the music from the bar upstairs was blaring all night. We could hear it through the giant window above our heads (which also included broken glass and transparent curtains) which led into the main stairwell.

Needless to say not a good night's sleep, waking up to bed bug bites all over our bodies was also a great surprise. Got the heck out of there the following
morning.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Ben B
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Spent 2 nights here, in a double bed room with AC. Good value for money. The roof top is really cool, loads of space to chill out, good music, nice staff. But quite noisy at night so if you're not in the mood to party it might not be the right place for you. Personally I slept through the noise anyway and enjoyed my AC !!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Anya N
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have traveled Asia for over 20 months the last three years and never have I encountered such incompetence and inadequate staff training/treatment in a hostel/guesthouse/hotel before. This goes for the staff as for the management and even the manager.

I must also say that I have stayed in Cambodia for over 5 months in a row now, and the people working in this place is just not as nice as your regular Cambodian.

This whole sad story started when I put some of my cloth for laundry. First of all, they have an extremely expensive laundry service there (1.50 $/kg). Go right around the corner and you get half the price in a real laundry shop. Anyways, back to “the story”. When I got my laundry back, two of my shorts was extremely discolored thus now rendered useless. I went down to the reception to ask them politely how we could solve this problem as I had encountered this exact same thing in a normal laundry shop a week before this happened, and in this laundry shop (in street 110) they immediately offered to fix it for free or, if they could not, they would give me compensation for my ruined clothes. A fair deal. They eventually fixed my clothes.

This was far from the case in “11 Happy”. First the lady in the reception said this was MY fault because I hadn’t told them to wash the clothes separately when I delivered the laundry. To be honest, I just assumed that they know how to wash clothes – because well – they offer a laundry service, but apparently not. Also, I have never experienced this in any other laundry shop during the 20 something months I`ve been roaming Asia. Just saying – and they choose to put the blame on ME.

Anyways, after the staff (several staff members gathered around me and they got quite hostile) had turned down every suggestion I had, (Among them, I asked them to wash my shorts one more time and see if they can fix it, and if they could not, they could give me 50% of the price I bought the clothes for, which was 10$, and 50% off on the laundry bill). They just said bluntly no. I asked to talk to the manager. The staff members told me this was not possible because the manager attended a school, but that she would be available and we could talk to her at 21:00. So I went down to the lobby at 21:00 to wait for the manager. At 21:30 I asked some of the staff if the manager was arriving anytime soon and he confirmed that she was “just two minutes away”. When the manager had not arrived at 22:30, and the staff showed no sign of caring for contacting her in any way, my wife and I went out for dinner. I did not see the manager that evening.

There is also another part in this sad story. My wife and I stayed at this Guesthouse a few days because we were looking for a new apartment. My wife is Cambodian, she study English and Korean and has been working part time jobs for a long time to support her studies. This Guesthouse has a strict non-sex tourism policy which I think is great! But the whole staff talked about my wife like she was a bargirl, and they almost denied her to sleep there one night. This is unacceptable! If you have an Asian girlfriend and come to this place, they apparently automatically think she is a bargirl.

The day later when we was checking out, the manager was gone again and we was left with the very unaccommodating staff. I asked them to call the manager so that I could give her my offer of compensation as mentioned earlier. She bluntly said no and also blamed ME for what had happened.

So, I cannot in any way recommend this guesthouse. The only positive thing about the place is a beautiful rooftop restaurant and one or two amazing staff-members.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank EricGreen
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

The rooftop bar is awesome, and a great way to meet new friends, but my visit overall was less than pleasant. First off, if you stay here, check the bed to see whether it's got bugs. I left this morning and my legs are covered in bites now. Not fun. Also, be sure not to leave any stuff out because housekeeping might snatch it. A few of my items walked away and after talking to the front desk several times about it, I finally got my hairbrush back... But my face sunscreen was never returned. The sink wasn't working at the dorm I was staying in and the AC could hardly be felt. If you're looking for comfort and cleanliness, this is probably not the place. If those two things don't mean anything to you, then stay here because you'll have a great time upstairs.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We took an en-suite double room with a fan here for $10/night, and it was more than adequate.

We were first shown a room with no window but asked to see another room with a window, and it was the same price. They may obviously try and fill this room first but don't forget to just ask if that's what you'd prefer or haggle down the price if that isn't an option.

The room was clean, and did just the job; the fan wasn't great but we couldn't be bothered to upgrade to air con and PP is sweltering anyway.

Asking for a room with a window came back to haunt us as building work started early but we got a dollar knocked off the room so can't complain.

The upstairs bar area was great with tv, computers, pool table, darts and plenty of space to relax.

Most of the staff were really friendly apart from one short dude who was just rude and pushy, which kind of ruined a nice chilled evening on the roof.

This place is also next to a cinema although we didn't use it as we wanted to see a particularly film and we were recommended the empire theatre; an a/c room with cushions and chairs showing movies all day for just a single entry fee. A great place to escape the heat!

• Stayed: April 2014