“Great hotel”
Review of La Maison d'Ambre

La Maison d'Ambre
Ranked #38 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Stayed here for one night in a two-bedroom suite. Spectacular design and furnishings. I wish I could've stayed here longer.

Location is very good - walkable to the river side area bars and restaurants.

The hotel's restaurant and bar are also quite amazing. Great drinks and food. Killer views.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 February 2013

La Maison d'Ambre is a place to relax in the middle of Phnom Penh. The rooms are huge with all the comfort you wish for. When you walk out on the street you are in the hustle of allday life, and in walking distance of the riverside and Wat Phnom.
We stayed three nights in the " midnight in Paris" room, and enjoyed every minute of it.
The staff is very friendly and helpfull, from the manager, to the women who clean the rooms, and everyone else!
The hotel is decorated in a tastefull manner, and every room/suite has its own theme. There is the rooftop bar where you can enjoy a drink and snacks and watch the sun go down, and you can eat dinner while enjoying and overlooking Phnom Penh.
There are many bars and restaurants in the streets around, and the local market, just a bloc away!
D&M

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank M H
Reviewed 8 February 2013

We had a fantastic 8 day stay and then a second multi day stay in La Maison d'Ambre in 2012. The rooms were perfect. The staff great! The food was fantastic and reasonably priced. Each room being different is magical. Great Breakfast. I am in the travekl business and was looking for a hotel for my goruops and my groups will be staying here for sure.

Room Tip: Casablanca and Midnight in Paris were my favorite rooms. Mogambo and Rose de Bokor for the 2 bedroo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
dcopHongkong, Manager at La Maison d'Ambre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2013

Dear client,

It was a real pleasure to read your review.
I and all the staff from La Maison d Ambre would like to thank you for your kindness during your stay.

We all look forward to welcome you again.

Best regards

The Owner

Reviewed 4 February 2013

I had a great experience at this small hotel and have no hesitation in recommending it. The staff performed many extra services for me such as arranging tours, booking a boat ride on the Mekon and providing recommendations that I felt very welcome and as though nothing were too much trouble.
My 'room' was really a two room suite. Very well designed and comfortable. I would call it a modern arty design with an asian twist.
It is a very calm place to retreat to from the Town and waterfront which can be exactly what is needed after fighting off offers of tuk tuks etc

Room Tip: I believe every room is unique so, space available, I guess you could compare rooms before finally s...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

The overall hotel was great!!! The location is quite far from the center and must get a tuk tuk most of the time. What's the best part is that it's walking distance from the bus station. So yes! If you're riding the bus from Siem Reap! The hotel lobby wowed us! The moment I entered the hotel, I know something's more are in for me! And yes! The room didn't fail us. It's the most relaxing posh luxurious room hotel I've ever seen and stayed at in my whole traveling journey. It's as if you don't want to leave your room. The hotel bar located at the rooftop is fab , too bad that there's not much to see in terms of view as you will see rustic old and dirty houses and buildings nearby. How I wish this hotel was built in a much scenic location. Phnom Penh is love. With the great food, people and places. There's so much thing to do. What just frustrates us is the lack of English literacy amongst the people. This is not a problem in Siem reap as everyone including children knows basic English and understands well.

The hotel staff are quite not good enough. They don't reply to emails on time. They don't speak we'll . Sometimes you don't even know if they understood a thing you just said to them. For a hotel and price like this, it won't hurt to get more competent receptionist for your hotel. I don't mean anything bad but it would help to have someone who can guide your team properly to communicate well and provide the need of your customers .

Before I forget, the taxi driver they have us for our one day your was so rude! He snapped at us when we decided to the mall coz there were no parking spaces available. It wasn't our problem anymore as I clearly asked the hotel reception the limitations of his services and we were informed that we can be driven anywhere in Phnom Penh city center from 9 to 6pm plus he genocidal center. He did even asked for more money to us and accepted the cash even if we were supposed to pay the hotel instead. He would say "I don't know" on certain occasions when we ask simple questions with his rude tone! And last he cut our trip short until 5pm as its already traffic and he has to go somewhere else! Whoever you are! You don't deserve to be in the industry! You're such a disgrace so pls make sure he will be reprimanded properly. Be aware tourists !

I am writing this as I don't even know if the hotel made the proper action re this issue. They apologized to us but we were not satisfied and as they haven't given us any explanation at All.

I would still recommend this hotel. Make sure to choose the room you want upon reservation. Depending on what you like, but for us it was the Monsoon Wedding!

Owner. Pls tell you staff to reply promptly. And sometimes they done even reply to emails at all.

Thank you! And hope this helps!

• Stayed: January 2013
dcopHongkong, Manager at La Maison d'Ambre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Dear client,

Thank you for your kind review and detailed comments on the hotel. We always look carefully at our client remarks, making sure that we are on right tracks.

You mentioned some troubles with Taxis. On our side we are trying to select few numbers of drivers that we do know or we had some good feedback from clients.
In the meantime Taxi business in Cambodia is quite new and sometime difficult to get a constant quality service.
Your comment has been well received (message has been send as well to the staff) and we will, following your review making sure to be more selective on the drivers.

La Maison d Ambre is looking forward welcoming you again.

The owner

Reviewed 1 February 2013

We absolutely adored this hotel!
It was more like a serviced apartment than a hotel, cos we got a little kitchenette with all utensils included, and a huge lounge area, with a separate bedroom area. Everything was nicely decorated and well thought out. The room was clean and tidy.

I did find it hard to find a rubbish bin... but worked it out in the end (they hid these square little bins out of the way, and they didn't look like bins!)

When we arrived we received a nice welcoming fruit cocktail (non-alcoholic) which went down a treat. It was delicious!

The staff were helpful and friendly. We never ever had to open the front door as there was always someone who was always present to get the door for us. A lovely old fashioned touch that I like very much.

The rooftop restaurant and bar is a must visit. Well, to be honest, not sure what the restaurant is like cos we didn't try it out, but definitely the bar is a great place to hang out. Nice view, very quiet and lovely staff. You might even meet interesting people while you're up there like we did (it was a pleasure to meet the wonderful 'Jimmy'!). Yup, definitely hang out at the rooftop bar. It's a winner.

Further to the exceptional service we received, we meant to check out at their standard 12pm time, however, when we did, they kindly told us that since we were not leaving until 2pm, we could stay in our room until 2pm so that we can explore the city some more, and if we want to, just chill out and have a shower before heading to the airport. So, we ended up with a late checkout without even having to ask for one! Just too thoughtful.

My only gripe with this place was the tiny tiny bathroom! With such a huge space to play with, why was the bathroom so so soooooooooooooo small?!?!?!?!?!?!

Oh, and also there was some misunderstanding about the cost of getting a taxi to the airport... I confirmed and re-confirmed again with the staff member that the cost of the taxi will be $US5 to the airport, a surprise even to me at how cheap it was, but you know....locals know best.

Anyway, when we got to the airport, the taxi driver asked for $US12... we were pretty low on cash by that stage (being end of trip and all) but luckily was able to scrounge around for the extra $7 needed... and the taxi driver gave the hotel a call to clarify, in which the manager apologized, but what good is that? I'm already at the airport. So we have to pay... what would have happened if we didn't have the money? It's not so much the money (cos it's next to nothing) but the principle of the matter. We were advised it would cost $5..... that was not a good last impression to have.

But overall, wonderful hotel. It is a little bit far from everything... about a 10min walk to the attractions. And when you're in Phnom Penh, it's 10 mins walking next to crazy traffic and cars and tuktuks and motorbikes going down the wrong way of the road regularly. But, minor gripes... it's a great little place. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed in 'Hanabi' the Japanese themed room and it was just fine and dandy!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Having travelled across Cambodia and subsequently Vietnam, this was one of the best value apart-hotels we used, and this includes several 4 and 5 star hotels. These are apartments and should be judged as such (some of your reviewers clearly don't understand the difference between this and conventional hotels). The facilities were excellent, the staff most helpful, and even though the breakfast was extra it was well worth it, fresh and delicious. And the fifth floor bar/restaurant was the perfect venue to relax over a drink and contemplate the skyline. I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family