“Wonderful as usual”
Review of La Maison d'Ambre

La Maison d'Ambre
Ranked #37 of 275 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is my fourth time at la Maison d'Ambre. Getting better and better every time! The rooms are just amazing, and I have tried 4 different ones. The staff is very nice, and improving a lot at every visit. They are very friendly, smiling and efficient. The attention to details is great, and you feel like they really care. The bar/ restaurant the 5th element is excellent, offers one of the best eating experience I have had in Phnom Penh both in Khmer cuisine, and in western food.The view from the terrace is fantastic. I recommend this place without any hesitation and will come again for sure a La Maison.

Room Tip: Change rooms everytime! They are all great, and everytime a unique experience and atmosphere
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

To be quite honest, I really wanted to love this hotel based on reviews and photos. After staying at another hotel in Phnom Pehn last October, The White Mansion, (priced the same as d'Ambre) our expectations were set for excellent service and personalized staff. We wanted to try a new hotel to support the boutique industry, but it just didn't hit the mark.

Pros: large rooms, appear to be mini apartments with country themes and balcony. Spacious, clean, with TV and good wifi.

Cons: constant smell in the hallways and in the lobby. No manager on site, appears to be run by younger staff that speak limited English. The food at the fifth element (rooftop) service is quite slow, pricing is way too much for the quality, especially in Cambodia. I had the shwarma wrap and it was less than mediocre. Would recommend to skip eating here and try Feel Good Cafe a few streets away for cheaper and amazing food for breakfast.

The White Mansion also included breakfast in the price of the hotel which was a great perk and delicious - D'Ambre could learn from this.

The door locks are flimsy and the do not disturb sign doesn't even sit properly on the door handle. It was broken and needs an alternative solution. And sadly, my husband's polo cologne went missing day one from the room. We still cant find it. We didn't mention it to the staff because there is no manager on site and because we didn't want to make a fuss over a half used bottle of polo missing, but we did ask the staff not to clean or come in our room the rest of the duration of our stay.

I really wanted to like this place, it is promising - but I would never stay anywhere other than the White Mansion when traveling to Phnom Pehn in the future.

Rarely ever do I write negative reviews, but for the cost in Cambodia - they need an upgrade on customer service, a manager on site, and more personalized attention when clients enter the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Jessica K
dcopHongkong, Owner at La Maison d'Ambre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Jessica,

Your review did sound harsh to me according to the overall level of satisfaction from our guests.
I do think it has been a combination of bad circumstances and some leftover anger on your side.

I will try to give you quick comments about your complaints:

“Constant smell in the lobby”, the smell comes from the street. It is not frequent and there is not much we can do about it.
“No manager on Site”, Sunday morning (during your check-out), our manager was off. Meanwhile, as you were demanding a reimbursement, he was back and you had a chance to discuss with him.
“Service is slow”, our restaurant is usually not open for Lunch (only Breakfast and Dinner). As a favor, we did prepare a lunch on the terrace. It sounds a bit rude and unfair for you to complain about it.
“Breakfast is not included”, as all our rooms offer a fully integrated kitchen, we prefer to let our client decide about the breakfast. Some will prefer to prepare it by themselves, others will enjoy it on the terrace or get it delivered in their room. We always give maximum flexibility and service to our guests.

Our first aim at La Maison D’Ambre is to provide the best service possible for all our guest.
We apologize for your disappointment in this hotel, and hope you will reconsider it for your stay in Phnom Penh.

Yours sincerely,

The owner

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed there for a few days and truly loved it. Rooms are big, very nicely decorated. The hotel is in an excellent location, in the historical centre close to Mekong river.
The staff is very friendly.
Also, the terrace on the top floor is the perfect place to chill in Phnom Penh. The food is delicious, can't wait to come back for some dinner there !

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank baptistepoupard
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Spoken to Sokrecth from La Masion last 2 months and he recommended some of the rooms and allow me to view the rooms. It is fantastic!!! Much better than any hotel in Phnom penh. Even if you compare to other 5 stars hotels such as Sunway, Raffles Hotel.
I have been in Cambodia for 6 years.
So far this is the best hotel I ever stay. Service is tiptop! Rooms are super big. Many selection of theme for the room you like. Can invite friends to party the whole night as the apartment is big. Excellent location too at street 110.
The price is so much better compare to those 5 star hotel. A hidden Gem in Cambodia. But I hope I can get a better price as I always spend at least 5 to 8 days every 2 months.
If you missed it, u never been to Phnom penh.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank lineasy2
Reviewed 24 October 2013

If you want somewhere a little different but with great style them this is for you. The decor has been designed by the owners wife and every room is different. The location isn't the best for venturing out at night but is in a good position for sight seeing. Everything was clean and well maintained and the rooftop bar and restaurant are a real treat. The menu isn't extensive but everything we had was excellent. We chose this from previous reviews on Tripdvisor and weren't disappointed, in fact I don't think we'd have found it otherwise so thanks to previous reviewers!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pauline229
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This is an authentic boutique hotel! I stayed at the Shanghai Gesture and fell in love with the room design and interior! Love especially the bathroom with all the amenities and little details. The hotel staff are all very attentive and goes intro extra miles to provide you with information and things that you need. All the power plugs are designed to international sockets, so I can easily work with my laptop. There's a petit balcony that is perfect corner for me to enjoy my afternoon tea. There's also the roof top bar & restaurant where I enjoy my breakfast with fresh air and view of Phnom Penh city. I'm a fitness freak so if this is available at hotel, definitely will stay again for my next visit :)

Room Tip: Shanghai Gesture is equipped with separate bath tub and shower. The granite tub is super to soak at...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Inca T
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Occupying a corner plot the hotel has 10 rooms across 4 floors.
Our room was entitled "in the mood for love"....I'll leave you to make your own jokes at this point. Comprising two large rooms; the first was a sitting area with kitchenette, the second was a double bedroom with ensuite.
Nicely decorated and well-appointed (LCD TV with plenty of channels, a/c in both rooms, gowns, slippers, bottled water, safe, fruit, loads of 3-pin power points, etc). Bed was comfy and I had a great night's sleep although the pillows were like giant marshmallows...perhaps a bit too big.
Bar / restaurant on 5th floor, amazingly laid out...really funky!
As one would expect, great staff, pleasant, polite, attentive.

On the down side the lighting in the ensuite area was poor making it difficult to use the mirrors effectively. Also the sink leaked, and the cupboard beneath it contained a hairdryer, which was directly under the link - I hope they fix this before the next guests arrive as potentially very dangerous.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StokiePokie
dcopHongkong, Owner at La Maison d'Ambre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Dear guest,

Many thanks for your kind review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at La Maison d'Ambre.
We truly appreciated your comment about the leaking problem and we apologize about that inconvenience.
The issue has been dealt with.

We hope to see you again at La Maison d'Ambre.