“Beautiful Room but Bad Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Riverside Suites

Riverside Suites
Ranked #54 of 318 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Manila, Philippines
“Beautiful Room but Bad Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed at Riverside Suites for 1 night. We're a group of 4 friends. I got the deluxe suite with balcony for $75. There's an awesome view of the Mekong River and Sisowath Quay in my room. The bed faces the balcony which I believe is the best feature of my room.

The room has 2 ceiling fans and 2 A/C to completely ventilate the huge room. It also has a sofa, TV, office desk, robes, slippers, clean towels, and a fridge with food & drinks that you can avail.

However, there's a language barrier. The staff have this strong accent that we cannot understand. We stayed in a guest house in Siem Reap and the people there are easy to understand unlike the staff here.

After check-in, we realized that the rooms were not yet ready but they already let us enter the room. I immediately noticed that the pillows didn't have covers/cases yet. I asked why and they told that they were still in the laundry. My 3 friends wanted to have a room the same as mine (with the bed facing the river) but when we checked it out, the floors were all wet. Perhaps a strong rain came and it entered the room. To compensate the request, they just gave my friends an upgrade to a two-bedroom suite (but the view of the river is on the side only).

The main and balcony doors were hard to open and close. Since there was a language barrier, it was hard to ask and understand how to do it. Soon I just figured out myself that I have to rotate the key twice to open and close the door.

As for the breakfast, it was at La Croisette (across the hotel). It tastes good and filling. I had American breakfast.

There's no elevator in this hotel. I didn't mind however, I really found it bad service that the staff didn't bother to carry my 8kg luggage as we were about to climb the stairs! My 3 guy friends had to repeat to the staff to please carry my bag since I am a woman. It took us like 2 minutes for him to understand what we were trying to say.

We bought bus tickets to Siem Reap from them. It costs $15 (it's originally $13. They added $2).

It could have been a very relaxing experience in this hotel but the bad service killed them. I hope they train their staff on how to relate well with the guests.

Room Tip: - Room 203 has a good view of the Mekong River. The bed faces the balcony.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ViajeraShelly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Really enjoyed my experience with Riverside suites. After an obvious injury a couple of days earlier, the staff couldn't do enough to help me, including checking me in early morning so i could shower and feel more refreshed after spending the night traveling. Rooms clean, spacious and relaxing. Quick access to riverside and a short walk to the Palace, markets and nightlife.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is the third year in a row that I have stayed at the Riverside. There are less expensive options nearby, but I prefer to pay a bit more for a spacious, quiet room at the Riverside, just a couple of steps from Sisowath Quay. There are only 9 rooms and I always request a room overlooking the quay and the river. People who have difficulty going up and down stairs might be better elsewhere as there are lots of steps to climb.
The rooms are quiet, spacious and comfortably furnished with a nice sitting area and a large desk. There are 2 fans and two A /Cs, a large-screen TV, a DVD player and lots electrical outlets. The WiFi works well. There is a nice terrace with chairs and a fan. The bathroom is large and modern but has terrible lighting. The lighting is excellent for people who like to read on the toilet, the but if you want to see your face clearly in the mirror, that is more difficult.
Once I stayed in the room on the top floor which is a sort of penthouse. The room is small but there is a large terrace. It can get pretty hot up there under the afternoon sun and there are some 90 steps to climb.
The hotel has no restaurant or bar. The minibar in the room is well stocked for drinks. Breakfast is brought to the room from the good restaurant across the street, or it can be taken in the restaurant.
The Royal Palace, the National Museum and numerous restaurants are within easy walking distance.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Hal38
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

When I first arrived at the hotel, I was stunned when I first looked at the lobby. My first thought was what have I got myself into. Feel deceived by the photos posted on agoda.com. worst of all there was no lift. I took the room with the balcony and assigned on the fourth floor. When I saw the room. It was just a total contrast. It was just simply awesome. Loved the room. The breakfast menu though was not a buffet menu as I expected. It was a choice of set meals between eggs. Not really a fan of eggs. So I tried the omelette with mushroom n cheese. What a life changer. I became a big fan of eggs nowadays. It makes me realise that dun judge anything by my first impression.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Pattaya, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

No elevator, Internet that didn't work for 6 days, lots of garbage and trash outside their door. Aircondition too small to cool down the room.
At $120 a night you would expect a nice 4 star luxury hotel, this was 2 stars at best.

Room Tip: Do not choose the riverside rooms, they are not worth the money.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank TorbenRudgaard
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

A real gem of a boutique style hotel in the heart of PP.

I stayed in a deluxe suite overlooking the Main Street and river. The room is very, very large with a nice balcony overlooking the Tonle Sap. The balcony is a great place to watch the world go by, but from 5pm to 7pm can be quiet noisy, although with the double-glazed doors and windows the sound is completely muffled inside.

Excellent complementary breakfast from the French Bistro across the road and free tuk-tuk transfers to their nearby sister hotel if you fancy using the pool.

Free wi-fi worked absolutely fine throughout my stay and a very cheap but well-stocked mini-bar. Towels were a bit threadbare, but clean and replaced regularly. Laundry service was cheap and fine.

They arranged airport transfers for $12.50 and the room cost around $60 a night.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SingaporeFox
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

The hotel was more like a service apartment which was the type of accommodation we wanted for our family of 5 with 3 children. We stayed 3 nights in the 2 bedroom suite on the 3rd floor with a balcony facing the street and an angle view of Tonle Sap river. The 3 floor climbing was quite an exercise daily since there was no elevator. Bedrooms were comfy. Bathroom was big and clean.

The riverfront location was brilliant, which is the main reason we chose this hotel. This section of the Sisowath Quay was quite tourists concentrated, a lot happening at night, plenty of eateries and pubs along the street, and prices were more expensive than restaurants downtown.

Breakfast was freshly prepared by an Italian restaurant called La Croisette across the road and delivered to our room at the time we specified. Food and drinks were in good quality and amount (see photos). We finally found decent coffee (cappuccino) from this restaurant.

All the staff – the guys at the front door, the reception and the house keeping ladies were all very friendly, even including the tuk tuk drivers (2 brothers) outside the hotel.

It was quite interesting to watch from our balcony the quirky aerobics sessions formed by local people of different ages and even some tourists. It started 5:30pm daily at the riverfront opposite to the blue pumpkin restaurant. We just couldn’t help joining in the fun one evening. There was not much to do with children in Phnom Penh. We went to the Diamond Island City which was quite a sight at night. There was a carnival nightly with many fun rides and games for children.

If we have to pick something negative, then it would be the too thick pillows, the stains on the couch/rug in the lounge room, and the noise from the street.

However we were so happy with our stay that we spent another night in this hotel on our return from the trip to Kep, Kampot and Sihanoukville before we departed the country.

Room Tip: Only the balcony of the deluxe suite faces the river, other suites face the street.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family