“Where's my clothes???”
Review of Diamond Palace II

Diamond Palace II
Ranked #200 of 281 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed here in July 2013 for 7 nights. I booked a superior double which I have to say reading the other reviews I am glad about. The room however was not that superior. Very small on the 3rd floor with no lift and a rather wired uneven staircase leading to it. In the room they did provide a safe and mini fridge. The aircon worked well as did he television. The bed was comfortable and I slept reasonably well. The furnishings in the room are a bit dated and the door of my room 301 had certainly seen better days. It didn't feel very secure and the light shone through the numerous cracks in it every morning.
The bathroom was tiny with shower over the toilet, old and outdated with electrical wires hanging out of the wall. a worry during showers as water goes everywhere. I wouldn't describe the room as clean or dirty. More grubby and in need of a proper clean rather than the once over that he staff seemed to give it. In fact I began to clean he room myself as it was frustrating due to h staff not actually cleaning. In fact about 4 days into my stay I asked for he bed to be changed. This never happened and the bed remained the same just made, I fund he laundry after tat day and changed the bed myself.
The staff were friendly enough and I guess for what they are being paid well who really blames them for not being that interested. The hotel is surrounded by tuk tuk guys who will of course tout for business. They are business men and if your friendly but firm they are excellent value. Never paid more than $1 anywhere in the city ad I hired one tuk tuk for the day for $10 and he took me out as far as the killing fields etc. did everything apart from the shooting on his little card. I did buy him lunch though. Really nice guy. Deal with them direct make sure the details are clear. Do not get on the Motos. Seen several accidents involving tourists. Nasty way to ruin your holiday.

One final comment, when I arrived there I had been travelling for some time. I decided to use the laundry service. Big mistake. Firstly they overcharged but to be honest that didn't really bother me a couple of dollars. But they lost my clothes. I got about 85% back along with someone else's shirts. The management of he hotel did try and sort it and offered me $30 as compensation, which was never enough, but showed that they too were annoyed and wanted to make things right.

Overall, would I stay here again? To be honest probably yes, but I would get the best room the offer, and I would be more strict on the staff cleaning the room. As well as not using the laundry service. It's a good budget hotel that with a few tweaks could be a very good budget hotel. Like most things in Cambodia it's not expensive and the people are genuine trying to ensure you have a good stay.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Roy D

Reviewed 26 July 2013

I only spent one night so I cannot really give the best review; the room is ok as long as your height is below 180 cm, otherwise you'll knock your head against the ceiling....unnecessarily large bathroom stealing space to the room, the staff is not really bright, I had much better experiences in other places both in Phnom Penh and Siem reap. Nothing really bad though, just small annoyances. The location is great though, you can walk to the riverfront, National Museum, Royal Palace, Independence Monument....I would stay again there, as I didn't have serious problems.

Room Tip: Remember to ask for a room with window, as I forgot to ask and I had to sleep in a room with short c...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2013

An Enjoyable stay in Phnom Penh. Hotel is just around the corner from the palace, pagoda and restaurant street. Our room was very small yet nicely decorated and comfortable. The AC worked well but the Internet was very slow. Staff were friendly although communication between them could have been better. The tuk tuk drivers at the front of the hotel were great! Just make sure you haggle with them. There was a good selection at breakfast and it was tasty. All in all, can't complain.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah M
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Room not clean, there were rubbish at the corner under our bed..Laundry service is a total scam..they weight in front of us 4.5kg and told us usd2/kg before we send in and ask us to pay for blardy usd12 after laundry done! I bet hotel staff take commission from the laundry too..same thing happened when they
offer us to hail for tuk tuk service, it will much cheaper if we bargain by ourselves. .will never come back to this scam hotel anymore. .

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank san_wfs
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Great location, 5 minutes from the palace, riverfront, etc.
Quieter than some of the other noisy hotels in the same area so we got a good night's sleep.
Not as clean as other places we stayed on this trip though.
Staff a bit unapproachable.
For any trips out, you're better off finding a tuk-tuk driver yourself as we found them cheaper than the hotel's prices (and we are not very good bargainers!).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2013

The Diamond Palace is a reasonably nice hotel - we booked a $20 standard room on the 3rd floor though Agoda including breakfast. Room was very small but decorated nicely and was clean with a very comfy bed. There's no lift and the 3rd floor is a bit of a hike so ask for a lower floor if you can.
Breakfast was pretty poor - basically only eggs, bacon, frankfurter and toast available - no fruit options and the met was very poor quality.

The main issue we had though was that the hotel willingly offered to help process our visas for Vietnam. Thy said they'd done hundreds of times before so we thought we were in safe hands. We trustingly handed over $63 each (two of us) and our passports to get the standard 30 day tourist visa for Vietnam. To days latter we collected our passports very pleased with the efficient service. We the proceeded to book a bus for early the next morning and several days of accommodation and onward travel in Vietnam. Later than same evening I examined the visas in more detail to discover we had only been granted a 15 day visa. Trawling the Internet this seems to be a unique visa granted only in Cambodia by travel agents but not what we asked for or what is a standard visa.
We complained to the hotel who were responsible in a very drawn out conversation/negotiation with the manager over the phone. They weren't happy to take responsibility but in the end we agreed to take $40 to go towards the cost of extending our visas once in Vietnam but we will still be out of pokey nd time doing this.
The on thing that really of my back up though was tht the hotel manager said this money would come out of the staff wages as all complaints did! He made us feel guilty for their cock up.

Anyway......(!) don't trust them with your visa applications and be careful other places as well....ensure you write a note with instructions with your passport as thy don't use application forms or anything.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

The room was nice but cleaning staff left behind dirty coffee cups and did not replace. Quiet room, 305, except the last night from loud generator sound vibrating from bathroom. Staff was friendly and helpful. Night reception was great. Rooms are more expensive than Vietnam for value at $20USD includes $2.00 for breakfast. Overall, good experience for the value.

• Stayed: May 2013