“Awesome place”
Review of Diamond Palace II

Diamond Palace II
Ranked #200 of 276 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 7 May 2014

During our short term of stay at Pensione, the experience has been good, the staff are friendly, the housekeepers are brilliant! They come change your sheets and towels everyday! And fold your clothes for you, can't ask for more! Only thing is that ventilation in the bathroom is not the best, and the bathroom door won't shut properly. Location is great! It's literally close to everything! Would recommend anyone for a short time stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Basically slept here because I checked in late and checked out early.

Room: adequate for the price, clean
TV, ref, hot shower, hair dryer

Food: Free breakfast meal is average

Steep Stairs are not elderly and handicap friendly.

If you are looking for a cheap hotel that is walking distance to the riverside and basically neighbors with the Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda, then book this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 2nd level because of the maze of steep stairs.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jcgmd H
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Staff were decent, place was clean and guest friendly and breakfast included was adequate. Pretty much what I expected, was just in for the night and needed a clean bed. I'd avoid the cheapest rooms as a few dollars more will get you something much better!

Room Tip: The second cheapest room is worth the extra few dollars!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We arrived in Phnom Penh having taken the bus from Saigon. We were disappointed that we were unable to get any response from the hotel about a number of things about our visit before we arrived in Phnom Penh e mails that I sent were ignored.
The bus is very cheap but the journey is very long using very poor roads travelling at slow speeds. The hotel is a short tuk tuk ride from the bus station.
The hotel is very central and from the hotel you can walk to many of the city’s central tourist spots. From our window we could see an ancient temple being built across the road it will be an impressive building when it is finished.
The room was comfortable and the breakfasts were ok. The staff were trying their best on a limited budget, there was a lot of stairs to climb to the room and no lift! Television with the usual channels.
Hotel was good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

The diamond palace is just around the corner from the Royal Palace, National Museum and the boulevard along the Mekong river. A lot of shops, restaurants and travel agents around. The room we had was small but had everything we needed (drinking water, airco, private bathroom).

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My wife and I stayed two nights here. When we checked in we checked the sheets and it appeared that they had already been used previously. We called the front desk and requested they change the bed linens and the pillowcases. They did do this, but it was definitely not something you like to find. The rest of the room was fairly clean and the staff was friendly. Breakfast was OK.

The location is the best thing going for the Diamond Palace II. Good location for the river walk and lots of good restaurants nearby. Also close to the National Museum and Royal Palace as well.

The staff was great, just had the bad experience with the unchanged bed linens.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gdirst
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This hotel is in a spectacular location. Walk to the riverfront, National Museum, Royal Palace, etc. and there are plenty of tuk-tuks outside very eager to take you anywhere else. There is a western-style convenience store a couple doors down with cold water, drinks and snacks. I booked a deluxe room but I don't think that's what I got as there was no private balcony with seating area - my view was of a hallway and the wall of the building directly next door - no natural light coming into the room at all. The room had a mini-refrigerator, which was a super bonus and the aircon was cold and fast to cool the room. The hotel was always clean and the free breakfast was great, though I didn't try any of the western options (you're in Cambodia, why not eat Khmer food). I tried dinner in the restaurant one night and I wasn't impressed. The staff were helpful but never went out of their way - I inquired about laundry and they sent me around the corner to the laundry place instead of taking the wash over themselves. I had flowers delivered but they didn't call me or otherwise let me know that they had arrived. But everyone was always pleasant and remembered what room I was in and always greeted me when I returned at the end of the day. I paid $36 a night and I'm thinking there are probably better options at that price in the area, so I think I'll try someplace different on my next trip.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor are a hike up three narrow flights of stairs - no elevator so be prepared to...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo