“Excellent service and rooms”

InterContinental Phnom Penh
Ranked #28 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Colombo
“Excellent service and rooms”
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

I've stayed 2 nights on business and it was a very enjoyable stay. The staff was courteous and the room was cozy. I had a busy schedule and the staff assisted in arranging for transportation without and issues. The hotel car had a wi-fi router so I could attend to emails while traveling.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 29 September 2013

15 min. taxi drive from Yangon airport. The area looks very busy with many traffics. But the inside the hotel is very quiet and live music with local instruments welcomed me. Breakfast buffet menu is satisfactorily rich and alternatively chinise cuisine is also available for my choice.
Wireless internet is available with good connectivity. The hotel bar serves very good selection of cheese, which I really enjoyed very much. Wine menu is also good and variety of beer are available.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
New York
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I have stayed at the Intercontinental Phnom Penh several times over the years. It is a bit out of the way for some but I like the location and it has several good restaurants within walking distance.

The staff at the hotel are top notch. They are professional and courteous and go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need.

The breakfast buffet is excellent. It is really one of my favorites and I travel and live in hotels nearly 350 nights a year. I love this buffet. If you stay here, book the rate with breakfast included.

The pool is nice and the gym has everything you need. Like I said, it is not near the tourist attractions or the river front but I don't mind a taxi ride or Tuk Tuk ride. If you take a Tuk Tuk, you can go anywhere for about 4USD.

The concierge staff is wonderful as is the front desk staff. I especially enjoyed the morning breakfast buffet staff as they were constantly making sure I had everything I wanted and was comfortable. The staff really is top notch.

While all the things I said about the hotel are true, the flaw for the hotel is the Internet. It is horrendous. At times not even as fast as my AOL dialup connection in 1990. The max speed of the Internet is 1M up and 1M down. That in itself is slow but it was never that fast. I had to call for assistance several times as the speed was around 0.09M. In other words, it was impossible to go from one page to another. It was interesting that I was told on the phone that I had free Internet and it was capped. I get free Internet as I am a Royal Platinum Ambassador and I should get the same speed as everything else that is paying. 2 things: 1. If they cap the free users (Priority Club Members) then they can't call it free wifi. They must be willing to call it what it is: Minimum Internet Searches with Zero Ability to do Work. :) 2. If the speed is not different for other users, then shame on them as well. There is no way that a hotel this size can not have decent Internet. I have stayed in hotels in several cities in Cambodia and all had faster Internet. Therefore, they either capped me as I was getting Platinum Free Internet or the entire hotel Internet stinks. In either case, it needs to be resolves as you can't call yourself a business hotel and have this poor Internet.

As a Royal Ambassador I was upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite. It had a bad view but that didn't matter to me as I am always just happy with the upgrade.

Room service and the restaurants located in the hotel are excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Nicely located hotel about 20 minutes from Airport. I checked in today. Internet is expensive. Staff is very humble.

Good place for business travelers. I did not use the restaurants today, but told that there are two choices for breakfast, which is almost unique.

Pool is neat and quite big. Hopefully during my stay I will also use GYM. Tuk Tuk is available just outside the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

After 19 nights in Cambodia, we had booked our final 2 nights as a family of 4 (kids 7 & 5) at the Intercontinental using my IHG Points. This was for a deluxe room with 2 queen beds to we could all stay in the same room, and we had planned on either paying for breakfast each day, or leaving the hotel for breakfast. Upon check-in, we were offered an upgrade to a club room for $45 per night, so $90 in total, which gave us the absolutely fantastic breakfast buffet for all 4 of us, free internet access, club room access (free afternoon tea 3-5pm & free alcholic drinks 6-8pm, and free soft drinks all day). This turned out to be superb value for us, the kids could snack late afternoon before we ate out in the evening (not in the hotel), and also we could enjoy a couple of glasses of wine at sunset before heading out.

The room was perfect, 4 of us there was plenty of space, views over the city, and the breakfast buffet was truly excellent - the kids loved the way they could have ice-cream for the 1st time ever for breakfast - a great way to end their holiday. Note: we used the main buffet in the hotel not the club room breakfast which is always a little bit more limited.

The team in the club room were so helpful, allowing us a late check out at 3pm as our flight wasn't until 6pm, and also letting us have afternoon tea at 3pm despite the fact we had checked out. They also arranged a taxi to pick us up (around $12) instead of relying on the concierge option which was $27. Tuk -tuks gather at the bottom of the hotel drive, we always walked to them to get around rather than using any hotel arranged transport which i am sure would've had a premium.

Swimming pool was nice, a little chilly but the kids enjoyed it everyday. Really enjoyed the end to our holiday.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank IJL73
Hanover Park, Illinois
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The Intercontinental in Phnom Penh is not centrally located, so you will need to take a tuk-tuk or taxi to get to the downtown touristy area near the Perfume river. The rooms were spacious, quiet, and modern, and the bathroom was large and very nice with a separate shower and bathtub. I thought the service was fine, and I do have to say that their breakfast buffet was the best out of all of the hotels were stayed at on our trip. The $16 a day for Wi-Fi is ridiculous for what you pay for the room. It was very clear that the hotel caters more to business travelers and is not really interested in catering to tourists. An irritation for me was that the door staff were polite but somewhat aloof when you told them that you just wanted a tuk-tuk instead of a taxi; you'd have to go down to the street to get one yourself and they acted like they had been told by hotel management to not encourage or help tourists in getting a tuk-tuk. The other offense for me was that the hotel really pushed their private car for hire instead of just being normal and calling you a taxi. For example, we wanted to hire a car or taxi to take us sightseeing for only 5 hours one day; the hotel was going to charge $70, but in the end the taxi they called only charged us $40 for the same amount of time. When we wanted a taxi to the airport they really pushed their private car which would have been $26, but we insisted on a taxi that only ended up costing $9. The most ridiculous part was that they made us sign a "waver" saying that we were rejecting the hotel car and that they could not be responsible for problems with a taxi (there were no problems). I just thought their "intimidation tactics" were absurd.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Phnom Penh, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear Jennifer M,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. As for the rates, we strive to provide a competitive rate in the area. It is not our intent to inconvenient our guests instead provide rate options that make sense. Nevertheless, I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

I hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Not much to say other than a top quality hotel like you would expect from the InterContinental Brand. Clean atmosphere, friendly staff, great breakfast buffet. Has a very nice gym with plenty of machines.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business