“Good hotel but lacks character” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Phnom Penh

InterContinental Phnom Penh
Ranked #31 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
berkshire
“Good hotel but lacks character”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

The room and service were both very good and the breakfast excellent.
The hotel for me lacked character, the rooms were slightly soulless - it was just part of a hotel chain.
It was slightly out of town so the tuk tuk journey was always adventurous - walking was not advised at night because there are no pavements!
Given the beautiful hotels we stayed in during our travels through Vietnam and Cambodia, this was my least favourite- you could have been anywhere in the world!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Island of Malta, Malta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed there for 5 nights recently.

The hotel enjoys a prime position in the heart of PP. The service is good, the rooms are large, well lit and pretty clean. As i asked for a smoking room, i was given one which is not any different from the other rooms as the windows are blocked which is quite unpleasant, i must say.

Food was good but pretty expensive.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Phnom Penh, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Dear IbnBattutadeMalte,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased to hear your positive feedback regarding the hotel location, level of service, clean and large rooms as well as the quality of food. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced in your room. We are highly motivated by your words and ensure you that we shall continue to strive for excellence. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I've stayed here three times now. For me, the place is still a better bet for rest and relaxation than the mad house of Nagaworld (where I have stayed a few times previously). But, somehow, this property seems to have aged a bit, and it tends to give you the "old" feeling. Make no mistake, the rooms are comfortable and facilities are great too. However, the environment can seem to be a bit 'dead' at times. The service.....sometimes great, sometimes not so.
The location is reasonably central (though about 2km away from the riverfront), but can get a bit jammed at peak hours.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Phnom Penh, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear RajBajwa,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Loved the stay here, from the swimming pool to the food served, staff being very helpful and kind. This is a place you want to be if you want to escape the hectic life of Phnom Penh. From the hotel the city centre and tourist hot spots are easily reachable by cab or tuktuk, walking is not recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Santa Clarita, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I have stayed at several Intercontinental around the world. And this one falls at the bottom half of the lot. Like one reviewer put it, sometimes service is great, and sometimes not all that great. We had dinner, breakfast and lunch at the hotel. We stayed at the club room level. Used the pool. We got to meet some nice people, and made some business connections at the club room.

We stayed on the 14th floor. Went to Cambodia for a family vacation. We had a Junior Suite.

The service is very good, as expected. But this hotel is still stuck in the past. The breakfast buffet is good, but not great. Maybe they should go visit the Intercontinental in Manila, and get some ideas from there. These two hotels are pretty similar, in structure but different in quality of service. I had a great dinner, with excellent service at the western restaurant. But lousy lunch and an ok breakfast.

The staff is great. They just about bend over backwards helping you. But the lack of knowledge of local area and attraction was interesting. Their English is good, but when you get down to asking some complex things, they are lost. I tried to find out the location of a new micro-brewery, Spark & Tawandang. But the concierge had no clue where it was, or what a microbrewery was. We finally found it and it only opens at night. It is 10 minutes from the hotel on a tuk tuk, very close by. Took two trips on the tuk tuk to discover it.

Room quality was exceptional as expected. Very clean, very comfortable, and very nice. Had the latest gadgets, nice amenities, fruits in the room and enough water. They brought more in, when I asked for it.

One big problem fo me was the gym. The gym was a complete sucky place. I went to use the activity room to do my 1 hour Vinyasa flow yoga. People were playing table tennis, so I waited for them to finish. When they were finished, I went in and use it. Laid down my mat, and started my yoga. 20 minutes in, two ladies came in and stated whispering. And about 45 to 50 minutes of my yoga, a blonde chick comes in, and orders me to get out. If she had asked nicely, I would have packed and left. But when I am paying close to $300 bucks per night to stay in the hotel plus $200 a day in food and beverages, she had no business doing that. I asked for 10 minutes to finish, and was told to leave. There was no sign posted. No staff told me there was a class. (Found later, this blonde runs the gym. I think she needs a little bit of a lesson on who should get the priority at the gym, and attend a class on customer service. Or maybe take the days off, when she is pm'sing). The gym is centered around serving the staff and outside residents and not guests. The treadmills was all taken.

What is the point of staying at fancy hotel, and paying all that money, and you are not able to use the facility? The gym is very important to me.

A similar thing happened at the Intercon in Manila but with a different outcome. The staff in Manila came to me and told me politely that there was a class. Then when the teacher came in, I asked what class it was. It was a boot camp. I asked to join in, and was told it was ok. In fact the teacher came and helped me out. I worked out for another 1 hour, and was sore for a week from it. Best workout I had in months. Now this is how you run a hotel. Their gym is one reason, I always stay at the Intercon in Manila when there are plenty of other choices.

So, I am giving this hotel a 3. Not because it was not nice, but for a 4 or 5, they do have to go that extra length, which they did not.

The restaurants were empty, except for breakfast. And they need music. There was no music. Bring in some Filipino's from Phillipines, and have a piano bar. IHG made a lot of profit last year, and they can afford to upgrade this hotel. And they should.

Room Tip: The Russian market is a great place to shop. Take the tuk tuk. For 2 to 3 dollars. I had my tuk t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Phnom Penh, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear MalaysianAmerican,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. We are delighted you found our staff highly commendable. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

We are so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret the issues you encountered regarding the use of our gym. As our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you to know that the feedback we receive are taken seriously. We have taken note of your comments and have shared these with our management team to review the procedures we have in place and make necessary improvements to our service to ensure guests do not experience this in the future.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was a very pleasant stay. The hotel has much character in terms of its construction and you really get the feeling that you are in Phnom penh - a little like Raffles. The rooms are very comfortable and clean with very large beds and bathrooms and the tv and aircon is great. The service is also very friendly and I particularly enjoyed the Clubroom - a great place to work and have meetings. The Chinese restaurant was very good also. The only thing they could improve on is that the hotel feels rather dated and could benefit form some investment - especially on the outside. A few coats of paint would make a big difference to bring it in line with all the other 5 Star InterCon hotels I have stayed at.

Room Tip: A bit obvious but the higher up the beter the view and quiter form street traffic.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Location
Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed for a week with family on sightseeing holiday. The hotel was a fantastic cool oasis of calm in a hot, humid and bustling city. The rooms are of a good standard and very clean. My only grumble is the variability of the service we received. Some of the service we received was outstanding whilst other times we felt staff were lazy and only did the bare minimum.

Room Tip: High floor for views over the city
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family