“Old school colonial charm with top notch service”

Raffles Hotel Le Royal
Ranked #17 of 278 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Two nights at Raffles just weren't enough. Arrival at the hotel is a pleasure in itself. Friendly greeting from the staff; a refreshing ginger drink and cold towel - nothing is too much trouble. We were upgraded to a room facing the pool after a small booking mix up (swiftly and courteously dealt with) which meant a relaxing view over the pool rather than the less attractive city views. Sumptuous breakfasts (great eggs Benedict); good pool-side fare and perfectly mixed cocktails mean that it is easy for this place to become a home from home. The Elephants Bar has a real sense of old world elegance but is comfortable and welcoming too.

Aside of the attractive decor (teak wood,fans overhead,shutters, black and white tiling), the real differentiator is the service. Friendly and attentive (staff remember and use your name) but never intrusive- spot on. The concierge was particularly helpful with a range of things from bar recommendations, restaurant booking and arranging reasonably priced onward travel to Sihanoukville. There is a personal touch often missing in a hotel of this size. Director of Rooms Gerrit Thesing checked we were enjoying our stay and gave useful suggestions for accommodation on the next part of our trip - all in all a perfect base.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
RLR_GenMgr, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Le Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments on your recent experience at Raffles Hotel Le Royal.

We are delighted you enjoyed this oasis in the city and your kind recognition of the efforts of Gerrit I have personally thanked him for.

We look forward to welcoming you back in what we hope is the not too distant future.

With best wishes

Pieter van der Hoeven

Write a ReviewReviews (2,070)

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Definitely recommend staying at this beautiful hotel. Service is spectacular from the moment you walk into the trip / quadruple height lobby. The luxury is understated, and the hotel is a beautiful haven in what can be a dirty city. The rooms are gorgeous, well sized, and so unbelievably comfortable. The pools are immaculate, bottled water available everywhere. The Elephant Bar is definitely worth some time - especially over happy hour.

The only small point was that we did spot a rat running around the dining room at breakfast time... However even that couldn't take away from the sumptuous breakfast buffet on offer!

A spectacular experience!

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be excellent. However, best to have one on the first floor above the ground floor...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
RLR-DOR, Manager at Raffles Hotel Le Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing the Raffles Hotel Le Royal as your residence of choice in Phnom Penh. We are very glad that you had such a pleasant time with us from start to finish, and that you enjoyed the breakfast in Café Monivong, and joined us for Happy Hour in the Elephant Bar.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the rodent activity you have observed, which is a great concern to us. Several measures are taken to eliminate any of those in the hotel, and we have already increased those measures after reading your review.

Please do let us know when returning to Phnom Penh. It would be our pleasure welcoming you again, hopefully soon.

With best regards,

Reviewed 24 October 2013

The Raffles name epitomises the very essence of hotel luxury, professionalism, attention to detail and relaxation - in short, perfection. Le Royal Raffles, Phnom Penh, did not disappoint. It wins on every count and I am not normally this gushing in my feedback. What I loved the most was the ambience, the history of the building, the exceptionally trained and down-to-earth attitude of the immaculately dressed staff, and their CONSISTENTLY genuine warm demeanour. It's that consistence that many hotels find hard to achieve. It's part of the furniture at a Raffles hotel. The there is the history.. Jackie Kennedy's memory is remembered with taste. The menu she herself devised when she entertained the King at Le Royal during her 1967 trip is brought to life when the occasion requires. Many hotels would take tacky advantage of her historical reference. Not Le Royal. It's discreet and with respect to her memory. The black and white framed photographs on the wall show a woman beaming with happiness as she fulfills her lifelong dream of visiting Angkor Wat. It's all displayed with that touch of class.. not touristy, not too much, just subtle and dignified. Raffles at its best!
My stay was faultless. The welcome at the door was one of natural, not forced, smiles with the personal touch of actually knowing my name! A touch that was maintained until the day I was driven away to the airport. It's that extra touch of class that separates Raffles from the pack of luxury hotels. Add to that the fantastic surprise of returning to my room to find my towels transformed into baby elephants, surrounded by orchids. Every guest obviously experiences the same but it does make you feel singled out for that extra touch. Thank you to Botum, the on-hand room attendant and towel origami expert. I experienced every area of the hotel - from the exceptional food and service in the fine dining restaurant, cocktails in the Elephant Bar, the history of the Writer's Bar, a swim in the spotlessly clean pool, the best massage I've had in a long time in the hotel spa and the intoxicating ambience of the lobby. Director of Rooms, Gerrit Thesing, may hail from Europe (Germany) but he is far from Euro-centric. He has soaked up the local culture so much that he was able to give the best advice on where to go, including advice on guides (Raffles offers guides that have not only suffered personally through the horrors of the 70s but are also historians with a captivating command of the English language). Mr Thesing seemed to be everywhere at all times so I wondered if he was a twin. During my stay, a survey was published in the local newspaper, placing Le Royal down in 19th place of Asia's best hotels. Nonsense!! And then I found out why - I discovered that the same journalist had been rapped for peppering inexperienced staff with questions on occupancy. Every journalist knows that this is a question for marketing and/or sales, not the receptionist. I have been a journalist for 18 years and the unspoken charter - particularly in travel journalism - is to ask the RIGHT PEOPLE those probing questions. You write your story based on reliable sources. We all know that. That's professionalism. You don't quote the bellboy! To then exact revenge through a baseless ranking has the hallmark of the school yard. This particular survey was framed on ambience, friendliness, 'the experience' and overall hospitality. I defy anyone not to be utterly blown away by the high levels of each of those characteristics. The staff were incredible and they were incredible at all times. It's that consistency that wins my rating for 10/10. Raffles Le Royal is easily in the top five of all hotels in Asia and a visit there reinforces that fact. For me, staying here was the dream of a lifetime. I have been lucky to have stayed in five star hotels all over the world, from the Mandarin and Ritz, to the Four Seasons and Banyan Tree. Raffles sits comfortably in that elite company but its the history that sets the brand apart. No-one can build or replicate 85 years, particularly in a country ripped apart by civil war and Khmer Rouge horror. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and I will be returning, for sure. Ask famed 1970s New York Times war correspondent Elizabeth Becker and you will hear the same. If I had one recommendation to management, please fix the electrics as my lights and the alarm came on in the early hours. Then again, don't fix it as it's all part of the antique, colonial tapestry of the place. Maybe Jackie K's spirit pays a visit once in a while..

Room Tip: The old building was very special.. it was like stepping back in history.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
RLR_GenMgr, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Le Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We are truly humbled by your most kind thoughts and reflections on your recent visit.

I have personally thanked Botum and Gerritt for their continous efforts in ensuring our guests enjoy, like you so kindly expressed, their experiences in this amazing city.

We eagerly await your return and assure you of our continued best attention.

With my personal thanks,

Pieter van der Hoeven

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Short and sweet - this the #1 place in town and would easily be in the top 3 in any other city in the world. A lovely place with very friendly and courteous employees and an atmosphere that gives you a real feel of a true grand hotel in South-East Asia. The entire experience, from arrival to departure, was an outstanding example for service quality and hotel facilities of a 5* luxury accommodation. You need to visit the colonial-style Elephant bar and try the famous Singapore Sling! The place seems always packed with hotel guests and passer-bys but is very entertaining as live piano music is playing.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review on TripAdvisor, and for choosing to stay with us at the Raffles Hotel Le Royal when you visited Phnom Penh earlier this month. We are delighted to ready about your experience, and the time spent in the Elephant Bar, which is indeed an institution in Phnom Penh, and many guest enjoy the Singapore Sling and the Femme Fatal with gentle piano music in the background.

We hope to have the pleasure welcoming you back one day soon, and for you to enjoy our hotel another time.

With personal regards,

Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

Staying 2 nights at the Royal. After slight mix up on bookings we were upgraded to 2 nights in pool facing room. These are some of the nicest rooms- avoid rooms that face the car park.

Lovely old school hotel, excellent service and has managed to retain charm that often is destroyed when similar hotels are modernised.

The palm fringed pool area is a lovely rest spot when frantic city sightseeing becomes too much.

Recommend cocktails in Elephant bar- the martinis are perfectly mixed.

Really great atmosphere with a mix of tourists and locals. Riverside only a 5 min $2 yuk tuk ride away. If return to Phnom Phen would definitely come and stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013
RLR-DOR, Manager at Raffles Hotel Le Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Dear valued guest,

Many thanks for your kind review on TripAdvisor! We are delighted to read about your impression of the Raffles Le Royal, and are glad that you enjoyed the hotel grounds, your accommodation, and the atmosphere in the Elephant Bar.

Please accept the error with regards to the view of your room upon arrival. I am glad that we were able to correct this to your full satisfaction, and that this did not change your overall experience.

We hope we will be welcoming you soon again, when Phnom Penh is included in your travel plans the next time.

With personal regards,

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I get the feeling that the Raffles Hotel Le Royal is trying very hard to be an authentic colonial experience and for the most part it works. The building, though very big, does pretty much hit the right notes and the staff is very hospitable and welcoming, but there are some off notes:

- Food and beverage is VERY expensive, especially when you compare it to other places in Phnom Penh, and Cambodia especially. I was pretty taken a back (although they did have a generous happy hour)

- Lights seem to have to be BRIGHT and music LOUD. A bit sensory overload. Especially in the bar I would put the lights on a dimmer and ask the piano player to play a little softer.

- I'm not sure what work around the pool couldn't wait until daylight but i hope it was important because it definitely woke us up.

- Being greeted by name is nice, but being greeted by name every two minutes gets a little tiresome

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your constructive comments on TripAdvisor, and for giving us your suggestions to cater to your needs better in the future. We appreciate your comments as an opportunity for us to improve; nevertheless, we are delighted to see that you had an overall enjoyable time with us at the Raffles Hotel Le Royal.

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again when you are in the region, and please do feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance.

With best regards,

Reviewed 20 October 2013

I was in Phnom Penh on a business trip - so I was traveling with colleagues. From the moment of arrival, you are welcomed warmly - and that continues for the duration of your stay. The hotel lobby is inviting, great for relaxing or chatting business. The hotel offers free wifi for their guests, but beware - it can be spotty and slow at times. If you can make time, take a swim or relax by the pool, which is situation in a tropical, central courtyard. The rooms are spacious, airy and allow for plenty of natural light. If you can, request a room on the third floor, as it seems to be a tad quieter than the first or second floors. My room included a bath and separate shower - water pressure was excellent, as was availability of hot water. Though not a fan of your typical buffet, I decided to check the breakfast buffet out, as it was included as part of the room cost. I am glad I did - a little something for everyone - healthy to indulgent - with everything in between. Only complaint was the coffee could sometimes be a bit cooler than I normally like, however the staff was quick to address once I brought this to their attention.

Rooms: spacious, functional, comfortable beds, business friendly

Musts: Breakfast, a morning swim, Drinks in the Elephant Bar

Bottom Line - old world charm mixed with modern amenities, attentive staff, a bit of an indulgence - but well worth it - you will not be disappointed.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for choosing the Raffles Hotel Le Royal as your base when visiting Phnom Penh on business with colleagues, and thank you for your kind review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that we were able to cater to all of your needs, and that you enjoyed the amenities of your room and the hotel.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience the internet speed has caused, which as you mention is complimentary to all of our guests. We have actually addressed this internally, and are about to launch a better solution in the beginning of the coming month. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy this during one of your next trips, of course along with a hot coffee served at breakfast in the morning.

Again many thanks for your kind review, and we look forward welcoming you back to Phnom Penh and the Raffles Hotel Le Royal soon.

With kind regards,