“Wonderful experience”

Ranked #15 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Stockholm, Sweden
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We are very happy to have stayed at Raffles Le Royal and would happily recommend the hotel - especially to those who enjoy colonial architecture and hotels with a history. (A really good book which in part takes place at the hotel is River of Time by Jon Swain.) Service, breakfast and pool are absolutely top notch. Having said that, I did not find the internet site for Le Royal very good. Lack of pictures of rooms; lack of information regarding if rooms are in original building or not and difficult to see total cost (with taxes and surcharges) and if breakfast included or not. Other areas of improvement: Hotel took something like 20 h to answer an e-mail and they did not notice wife's birthday.

Room Tip: As many have said, a pool view room on higher floor is probably a safe bet.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
RLR-DOR, Manager at Raffles Hotel Le Royal, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review on TripAdvisor, and for your constructive suggestions which we will take into consideration.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay it took in replying to your email, and for us not realizing it was your wife’s birthday, which our Front Office should have indeed realized when you were arriving in Phnom Penh. Therefore please do send our best belated Birthday Wishes from all of us at the Raffles Hotel Le Royal.

We hope Phnom Penh will be included again in your travel plans, and we have an opportunity during a future visit to welcome you and your wife back to our hotel.

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed at the Raffles Phnom Penh in early November on a business trip. The property is just gorgeous, with beautiful 1929 colonial architecture, lots of preserved historic features, and a well-maintained garden with pool. The staff was also extremely friendly and caring throughout my stay, no matter which services I used.

I was shown three rooms upon arrival: the one my company had booked (overlooking the busy front of the hotel), a balcony room in the historic wing overlooking the pool, and a similar yet more modern room with pool view in the newer wing. I opted for the latter, which required a small surcharge over the booked room, which I thought was a good investment to avoid street noise. Unfortunately, I was woken up on two mornings at around 6 am by some loud noise coming from the pool area, sounding like a leave blower. I did not get up to see what it actually was, but no hotel--and certainly not such a deluxe property--should do any loud maintenance or gardening work at 6 am.

Another concern was the complimentary internet. I presume that the bandwidth must have been so small that several emails I wanted to send just would not send (pages loaded normally, and the only problem was sending emails which took an eternity--even small one-word emails). I even thought there was a problem with my ipad, but on all of my other stops in Asia I did not experience any such issues. This was extremely annoying for me and cut into my free time in Phnom Penh.

Apart from these issues that are easy to fix for the hotel's management, I consider the Raffles a charming property with excellent staff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SGECHAMPION
RLR-DOR, Manager at Raffles Hotel Le Royal, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure welcoming you to our hotel, and I am glad that we were able to find the most suitable room for you during your visit.

Please do accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have described in your review, and allow me to share that we have just doubled the bandwidth available to our guest, improving the internet speed tremendously.

Unfortunately the noise in the morning was caused by the measures we are taking to control Mosquitoes in the grounds of the hotel. The fumigation of the gardens take place early in the mornings, and is most effective at this time of the day, hence we hear rarely comments about mosquitoes from our guests. We are however looking at options which cause less of a disturbance at any time of the day.

We would be delighted welcoming you back hopefully soon, and please do let me know if I may be of personal assistance going forward.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Checked into Raffles after the cigarette smoke from Naga became unbearable. Having stayed at the Raffles in Singapore previously, my expectations were quite high. While the hotel doesn't quite measure up to its sister, I found it to be a very good hotel worthy of the brand. In particular, the staff was courteous and attentive, without being overbearing. Perhaps "quiet luxury" would be a better tag line for the hotel. The rooms and facilities were quite good, and the location (near Wat Phnom) was excellent and much better than Naga. The breakfast buffet was a very pleasant surprise both in terms of selection and quality. Whether on business or pleasure, this hotel is worthy of consideration.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

To start off with, this review is not about the hotel itself but rather about the Saturday buffet.

Let me start off by saying that I am a bit of a “5 star hotel” junkie. I love a great hotel. In my day, I’ve stayed at some of the best - on three continents. This hotel ranks as a tie along with my favourite - the Bangkok Mandarin Oriental.

My husband and I are new to Phnom Penh. With a friend visiting us for the weekend from Manilla, we decided to do something special and book a Saturday champagne brunch at Raffles. been been told by those other ex-pats that this was 'the best in town'. From the moment that I booked the brunch (using their online website) I had the feeling that we were in for something special. It was literally 8 minutes later that I received a personal email confirming our reservation. Eight minutes!

Once we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by name. It would seem that there was no other “party of three” other than us that day. The FB manager escorted us to our table and explained to us why were seated in the lobby instead of the regular dinning hall. Apparently, on the last Saturday of the month, they move the buffet to the historic main foyer. A much grandeur ambiance. It was easy to forget that the lovely background music was actually a live ensemble sitting one floor above the dinners. I would highly recommend a last of the month booking.

At the risk of making us sound like a bunch of dilettantes, “brunching” is a favourite pastime of ours. So I must admit that when we surveyed the brunch buffet, we were, at first, a little taken aback by the limited selection. It didn’t, however, take us long to realise that what sets this brunch apart from so many others is the sheer quality of what is up on offer. Moreover, nothing was left to chance. The presentation, from the wasabi bowl to the a la carte menu items (many), was a sheer delight to the senses.

I never did ask if this is always the case, so I’m not sure, but when we were there in October the menu was the same a la carte menu that was created for Jacquie Kennedy Onassis when she visited in the late ‘60s. They even served us a welcome cocktail that was created is her honour.

What you are paying for, in my opinion, is the refreshing attention to detail that you won’t get anywhere else in Phnom Penh. As I’ve said, not only is the quality of the ingredients of the highest standard, so too is the service and the presentation. The staff here really know how to take care of their guests.

Oh, and if you do chance to stop by... do check out the conservatory behind the main foyer. There are some fantastic framed pictures of historic importance hanging on their walls.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
RLR-DOR, Manager at Raffles Hotel Le Royal, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for joining us for the Saturday Brunch, and for your great review. We have shared your comments with the entire team, and we delighted that you, your husband and your friends enjoyed the special brunch in the Lobby. It was a great pleasure reading your detailed review, and we hope that you will join us again for a Brunch, and for any of the other events here at the Raffles Hotel Le Royal!

Again, many thanks for your support, and we look forward to your next visit, hopefully soon.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

From the moment they pick you up from the airport until the last step out of the hotel when you leave this house of history and tradition, you will feel like back in the colonial time. The staff is very well trained, friendly and helpfull. The rooms put you back into the luxury times as Jacqueline Kennedy was visiting the hotel. Everything is very nicely renovated and you feel like in your own house. Food is as well excellent and the breakfast buffet is something exceptional - never seen anything comparable. The perfect place to stay in Phnom Penh...

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
RLR-DOR, Manager at Raffles Hotel Le Royal, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We were delighted to read about your stay with us, and that you enjoyed your time with us from arrival at Phnom Penh airport to the moment of your departure. We are especially grateful for the comments with regards to our colleagues, who all take great pride welcoming all of our guests to our colonial hotel.

Please do visit us one day soon again, as we look forward to welcoming you back home, hopefully soon.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

The welcome tea is the best tea I've ever had. Little annoyed the manager wouldn't give me the recipe on how to make it, but I'll live. The pool area was amazing. I ended up lounging there for an afternoon to decompress. The location of the hotel was decent, close enough to walk to the center of the city. The breakfast buffet was one of the best I had in Asia. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review, and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Please accept my apologies that the recipe for the Ginger Ice Tea, served upon arrival was not shared with you. Please do email me directly to forward the recipe to you personally. We would of course be delighted if you would visit us again, and enjoy the Welcome Drink, and the Pool as well as the breakfast on one of your next visits to Phnom Penh.

It was a pleasure welcoming you, and we look forward to your return hopefully soon.

San Diego
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Wonderful service. Gerrit the rooms manager took a personal interest in us and went out of his way to help us plan our days and meals. And the breakfasts were amazing. A vintage property that has kept up with the times. Very recommended and not all expensive.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
RLR_GenMgr, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Le Royal, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We greatly appreciate you sharing your thoughts on your recent visit to Raffles Hotel Le Royal and Gerrit is also much appreciative of your kind words.

We look forward to seeing you again in the Kingdom of Wonders.

With best wishes