2,198 results
All reviewselephant barlandmark roombutler servicecolonial charmoriginal buildingelegant hotelduring happy hourfive star hotelbreakfast buffetpool viewsiem reapmain buildingwelcome drinktuk tukan oasissmall balconybusy city
Reviewed 8 February 2009

Le Royal is soothing eye candy after a procession of characterless hotels.

I understand the hotel underwent a relatively recent make-over after being purchased by the Raffles Group. I'm happy to report that the very best has been preserved, and this grand old dame of Asia is looking better than ever. The beautiful trees in the courtyard, the twin rectangular pools, the cool, tiled and hushed hallways. This is the reason you stay here. It's a beautiful minimalism born of quality and taste rather than absurd trendiness and Karim Rashid inspired interiors.

The breakfast buffet was excellent and stocked with home-made jams and preserves. Coffee was well prepared and fresh. Your breakfast could be as simple or as decadent as your choose.

If you are more comfortable with the corporate chain hotel feel then you might run into some problems. Things have been done here with eye to maintaining a certain atmosphere and unhurried lifestyle rather than easy cleanability and uniformity of appearance. The storied Elephant Bar was a bit of a letdown. Quaint and comfortable, it was nonetheless quiet and dull. This is possibly due to the hotel's location off the river and the sort-of-happy hour. Drinks were 1/3 off or something to that effect, making them still somewhat pricey. We found it best to have dinners downtown and hit the FCC for their raucous happy hour.

It's worth paying a little extra to enjoy service and atmosphere that would be ruinously expensive anywhere other than SE Asia.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank armie_151
Reviewed 23 January 2009

The Raffles Hotel is not a five star hotel by any means and they are very good at charging five star prices. Our overall experience would have been positive had the hotels state been corrently reflected in the price.
One of the reasons this property was chosen was for its "old world charm" however, this is not an excuse for the hotel being poorly maintained and run down. The rooms were very dark with marks on the walls and carpets. The bathroom was very old with major signs of wear and tear.
The breakfasts were average, for us the lack of fruits available was an issue and the seafood dumplings were raw. The one night we had the seafood buffet which looked fantastic you were able to pick the seafood of your choice and they cooked it the way you like. We ordered several different styles and all were under cooked. For USD28 ++ per head we were very disappointed.
We would not return to the hotel and found the same issues with the Raffles Hotel in Siem Reap.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Carla123
Reviewed 13 January 2009

Regarding a recent stay at Raffles Hotel Le Royal I have decided to publish the results of the customer survey that I was asked to participate in.
Name: Geraght
Suite / Room Number – 393 & 395
Arrival date 03.01.2009.
Departure 06.01.2009

Please rate the following using the scale 5-excellent, 4 good, 2 mediocre, 1 poor and n/a.

Hotel Airport Transfer = 5.
Bell or porter service = 4.
Check in experience = 3.
Concierge desk = 1.
Telephone operator = 4.
Efficiency and service = 3.
Staff communication skills = 2.
Value for money = 5.
Your comment / suggestion if any = none.

Room
Room air conditioning = 4.
Room amenities = 3.
Bathroom amenities = 4.
Room cleanliness = 5.
Turndown service = 2.
Efficiency & service = 4.
Laundry service = 5.
Value for money = 5.
Your comment / suggestion if any = rooms at back of hotel are extremely noisy. There is no soundproofing on windows hence an unacceptably high level of noise from traffic and dogs barking. View from balcony terrible. We were moved to rooms with a pool view and the transfer was handled efficiently.

Business centre.
n/a did not use.

Spa & Gym
Staff knowledge & skills = 2.
Efficiency & service = 2.
Quality of equipment = n/a.

Le Royal Restaurant
n/a did not use.

Café Monivong Restaurant
Selection of Menu = 3.
Selection of beverages = 3.
The Quality of food = 0.
Efficiency & service = 4.
Staff communication skills = 3.
Selection of buffet items = 4.
Ambiance, décor and lighting = 3.
Value for money = 0.
Your comment / suggestion if any = I got food poisoning from Egg Benedict at your breakfast buffet on 04/01/2009. It took me 8 days to recover and I needed antibiotics. Of the six people at our table I was the only one who suffered and I was the only one who ate Egg Benedict. I suggest you retrain your staff in the practice good food hygiene.

Elephant Bar

Selection of Menu = 3.
Selection of beverages = 4.
Ambiance, décor and lighting = 5.
Efficiency & service = 5.
Staff communication skills = 4.
Value for money = 5.
Your comment / suggestion if any – congratulations to the staff member who located us in the hotel when seating at the bar became available. The happy hour was buzzing.

Overall Hotel Satisfaction

Overall satisfaction = 0. (If I could ignore food poisoning I’d have given a 4)
Overall value for money = 0. (If I could ignore food poisoning I’d have given a 4)
What other service could we provide to enhance your stay with us at Raffles Hotel Le Royal = retrain your staff in the importance of good food hygiene.

P.S On check out there was an error made to our bill totalling US 470.

I have given my name, date of stay and room numbers so the General Manager of Raffles Hotel Le Royal can verify the accuracy of my statements.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
9  Thank Christine747
Reviewed 1 January 2009

We stayed for 4 nights at the Raffles in PP. In line with many reviews, the experience was inconsistent and ultimately a bit dissapointing for a Raffles-brand hotel.

First the good:

Pool area was nice.
Gym was ok.
Rooms were clean
Cable tv was good.
Breakfast (complementary in our rate) was good.
Hotel staff were nice

Now for the bad:

Beds in the room were uncomfortable
Noise levels (coming from hallway) were unacceptable...we essentially didn't sleep after 7am,
Service by hotel staff was inconsistent (forgetting things etc.)
Hotel is not in most convenient part of the city (although PP is pretty small so this is a minor gripe)
Our two rooms both had things broken...in first room our patio door wouldn't lock and in the second the air conditioning controls were broken - not what you would expect...

All in all, I would try another hotel first before I return to the Raffles in PP. Shame, bacause the place has enormous potential.

Cheers,
JP

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2008

There was this door making a loud noise every time it was opened!! That was in the second building behind the pool. Bad enough we were there only for that afternoon, it was raining and we left before breakfast. They did give us coffee and some pastries even though it was 5:30AM. I liked everything about the place except waking up every time that door was opened! I would have like to stay here at least a couple more days. It had is problems but it was one of the best places we stayed in Cambodia. The Dinner buffett was great!!!

• Stayed: November 2008