Sunway Hotel Phnom Penh
US$70
US$48
US$43
  • Breakfast included
La Rose Suites(Phnom Penh)
US$164
Orbitz.com
US$88
US$68
Orbitz.com
All reviewsopposite the american embassytuk tuknice hotelthe riverbusiness tripbuffet breakfastegg stationnight marketcentral markethotel restaurantpleasant staynice breakfastrooms are cleannice roomkilling fieldsbars and restaurantsroyal palace
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I've stayed at this hotel twice on two different business trips. It is a nice hotel with decent rooms. Nothing really special, but good for the region. The room package I had included breakfast, which was quite good with a lot of selection, including the typical breakfast fare, omelettes made to order, fresh local fruit (my favorite thing to have when I travel), and even soup made to order (Pho - local noodle soup). I managed to get decent rates for the hotel because I was doing work associated with the government, so I was able to get the local government rate. I would guess that without that, this hotel would be somewhat expensive.

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is right next to Wat Phnom, which sits on the hill that Phnom Penh is named for. It is only a few blocks to the river (Tonle Sap) and is walkable distance to many of the sights along the river, including the Royal Palace and lots of restaurants and bars.

Like many hotels of this category, the pricing in the bar and restaurant tries to follow US/European standards, so a beer is $4 or $5 and dinners are $15-$30 (USD). My recommendation is to not eat at the hotel, but visit the extraordinary selection of bars and eateries in the area. My friends and I found a little bar less than a block away that sold Angkor Wat beer for 50 cents each.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that looks south toward the US Embassy. Try to get a room with a balcony where it is lovely to sit in the morning and watch the city wake up.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2013

A nice, clean and efficient hotel. it is directly opposite the American Embassy. The rooms were spacious and clean. The WIFI is free throughout. The Bar is quite good if pricey ($3.50 for a soft drink) but it lacks atmosphere Breakfast was good - lots of choice and good service.

The gym was fine and our friends enjoyed the spa treatments. There is no pool.

It is a good location and the tuc tucs are about $2 - $4 a ride. Agree upfront for the ride - some drivers tried to charge $1 per person which is sometimes double the normal rate.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony - they upgraded our entire booking to a suite as they couldn't provide a balcony room!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed 1 night at Sunway Hotel. We were checked in very quickly and escorted to our room. The room and bathroom were very spacious with modern faculties. Free Broadband and WiFi, good selection of TV stations to wTch, tea/coffee facilities. And minibar. The room also had a large balcony which was nice except for excessive Phonom Penh heat.
We had Three meals at the hotel restaurant dinner, breakfast and lunch. Each time we were sat I. The far corner. The drink waiters would not come into the area where we were. So had to get up and ask for drinks. This happened each time.
The buffet bar was extensive for each meal which was a mix of Asian and Western food available.
We nice a big issue with the plates, cutlery and glasswear. They either looked greasy or the plates had baked on good on them.
After the third meal I had to speak to management. The Hotel manager was there and I showed him a number of examples. He was very apologetic but did not remove the dirty plates.
I would recommend the Sunway Hotel to anyone who stays at Phenom Penh although I am sure there are other hotels of better standard or in a better location.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 13 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights, clean friendly hotel. Good place to stay, walkable to riverfront and lots of restaurants, walkable to central market, tuk Tuks everywhere. Breakfast good, skip dinner in the hotel.
Fridge, safe, reasonable rooms.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I read some reviews about the chargeable WIFI in this hotel but decided to chance it anyway. It turns out that the WIFI is free and it does work on all my devices. All in all it's a great hotel in an excellent location. I'm posting this review from the hotel so that should remove any fears of the WIFI not working :)

I'm pleasantly surprised so far. It seems everything is in order and the staff are very polite. No complaints so far. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple