“Luxury Aparment”
Review of Grand Residence

Grand Residence
Ranked #143 of 338 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Lovely residence, quiet place i stay one month here i feel like a home. Staff very friendly, my brother in law will come back again and asked me to book this apartment for our second stay next year . I would like to recommend this apartment to other people who are looking for business trip or leisure that is a good place.

Room Tip: One bed room quiet big enough space around 100 q. sm
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I stayed here back in February '13 as an 'emergency hotel' booked at literally the last minute after an impulsive decision to extend the holiday I was currently on. The hotel is located pretty deep into the city. Whenever I visit Phnom Penh I try to stay along Sisowath Quay as everything is there and you get a bit of a view. I remember the Tuk Tuk driver had some problems finding the place, he had to stop at least 5 times on the 30 minutes transfer from Sisowath to ask for directions. In his defense it was almost impossible to spot the hotel, all the buildings and streets looked identical. It was in an area called Toul Kork which is full of distinct French colonial architecture.

I booked this hotel when there was a special promo on it's rooms, can't remember exactly how much I paid bu it was very cheap (maybe 30GBP per night?). A few weeks later I looked at the price again to book another trip and it was very expensive, around 100 GBP per night. Not that it's an extortionate amount in a global travel perspective but you can get much better accommodation for much much cheaper in this city.

When i arrived at the hotel I was given a free upgrade to a two bedroom room as they'd made a mistake with room allocation. After being led into the room the hotel manager proceeded to take a screwdriver to the second bedroom's door handle. It took her a good 15 minutes to remove the door handle. Feeling robbed of my free second room which I wouldn't have had use for anyway.

The rooms are huge, like absolutely huge. Too big. It's more of a holiday villa than a house which almost explains the year round rates this hotel charges but there's just no need for rooms of that size. They're actually so big and because you're in a sleepy suburb of Phnom Penh I got a sense of not being safe. The reception and hotel employees don't operate round the clock but you do have two security guards normally sleeping downstairs.

In a rushed summary I have to say good points on this hotel for me at the time was the special discounted rate and if you're a big party of 3 plus people you may enjoy the generous amounts of space offered by this hotel.

The bad points unfortunately outweigh the good points; this place has no character, poor amenities, no WIFI and it wasn't spectacularly clean. I would probably only stay here again if I came with a group of people but everything on Sisowath was fully booked.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Great value for your money. My family and I (5 people) stayed overnight here in the 3 bedroom apartment for 100 us dollars. Very spacious, clean and modern and very comfortable beds. Also, close to the airport... about a 20 minute drive or so to the Airport in a tuktuk. Definitely recommended for a comfortable and clean place to stay. Also has 2 full bathrooms and a ice kitchen.

• Stayed: January 2013