“Not Recommended”
Review of Hotel Cambodiana

Hotel Cambodiana
Ranked #96 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two days in December, and unfortunately didn't pay attention to the negative reviews on TripAdvisor. They are all true. This is a hotel that seriously needs a management and facility overhaul. The rooms are very dated, cigarette burns throughout (even on the bathroom counter!), dingy, worn carpets that should have been replaced years ago, mould on the deck chairs and the tiles around the pool, etc. Although when I booked the room I specified that I wanted a room with a large bed, instead we were given a room with two doubles. When I asked for a room with a queen or king sized bed, we were shown a room on the ground floor that doubled as an office space, and were told that nothing else was available. However the hotel was clearly not full, so I don't believe that this was the case. The river view rooms do have a nice view, however no balconies. The breakfast was poor, for example the orange juice is powdered, not fresh, the fruit selection is limited to watermelon, bananas and pineapple cores, and the rest for the most part was a tasteless, greasy buffet. I regret not paying attention to the TripAdvisor reviews and am posting this review to warn others to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Juliana3

Reviewed 8 December 2013

A pricey hotel that is not good value. Threadbare carpets smelling of jasmine unsuccessfully masking stale tobacco. Chipped enamel in the bathroom and a fine retrospective collection of cigarette burns on the counters. The black mildew on the pool cushions ads a certain antique charm. Walking down the dark hallways feels like you've fallen into "The Shining", look out for Jack Nicholson. The in house restaurant prices are much higher than usual for Cambodia. We didn't eat there, so can't peak to the quality. I don't know if Phnom Penh has better hotels, but I resent paying for this type of pretence.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RamblingDude A
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This place seems to have a much greater belief in itself than reality. The pool was touted as being amazing but was an average, cold little rectangle with lots of slippery paving around and a seriously overpriced bar and bistro menu. Weird to have to walk through the swanky foyer to get there. Aside from the pool and foyer, the hotel is very tired and dingy and the decor dated. A lot could be done with more hall lighting. The wifi (not free) was intermittent and often would cut out just after you entered the passwords to get in. Staff efficient but not overly friendly. Tennis courts were easy to book and equipment hired out too. We had to swap a room on arrival as the stench of damp and smoke was unbearable - we were told we should have requested a nonsmoking room if the smell bothered us (we confirmed with our travel agent on our return that she had done this). Breakfast was amazing though - the best we had in Cambodia!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I stayed here for work and definitely one of the nicer hotels in Phnom Penh. The rooms are not cheap ($85 per night + tax) but you get what you pay for. The rooms are spacious, there's free Wifi, comfy beds, complimentary water and fruit in the room and an adapter for power plug standard available, the shower had nice water pressure and good pool and gym. The staff is really friendly; they told me three times when the driver was picking me up to make sure I wouldn't forget (it's like they know me :-P).

Only a short stroll to the riverside restaurants, but you can also get at tuk tuk easily from the front of the hotel. I didn't hear any disco noise and I was there on the weekend, so not sure what the other reviews are talking about. I would recommend the outside bar at the end of the afternoon to have some cocktails, very nice setting in the shade with a river breeze.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the pool and the river! Make sure they don't put you in one of the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed here as a volunteer working in Phnom Pen. The room was superb, large, clean and well maintained and fortunately faced the main thoroughfare rather than the river so I escaped the disco noise.

Breakfast presentation was a wide array - simple Continental, English, dim sum, pastries, fruits, plus table service coffee - never a problem. The poolside bar served a reasonable selection of snacks plus excellent wood smoked pizzas. Drinks, however, were overpriced compared to the bar inside. Evening meals were buffet style as well as a la carte. Table service a little slow if they were busy.

The situation of the hotel is perfect for the Royal Palace and walking riverside for a good selection of eating places and small shops.

Room Tip: Rooms roadside escape the disco noise
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I stayed here a week doing while some volunteer work in PP. While it was comfy with a large room looking out over the Tonle Sap and Mekong confluence I don't think I would stay there again. Every night except Monday they have a disco/nightclub blaring away that I could hear on the third floor. The wifi was free but never really worked, maybe for 10-15 minutes max before dropping out if you could get it at all. The breakfast was good but try get the attention of one of the wait staff for coffee, good luck! It was average at best.

Room Tip: Higher floors and the opposite end from the nightclub so you can get some sleep!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank nicklamport
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed here for a week in a large group, 7 of whom were friends and my partner. I'm not sure if it was due to us being a couple but my partner and I got a studio apartment on the ground floor around the corner from the pool. We were delighted! The rooms, both ours and others standard rooms, we're excellent. Clean and big with comfortable beds, albeit our double was on the small side but no big deal. Our only problem was wooden beams in the bedroom that were intended to be decorative but that were so low and sitting out that we kept hitting our heads on them. We also had lots of problems with the toilet and had it fixed a few times. Finally they asked us to move rooms but as we were checking out the next day they just gave us a key to use the bathroom next door instead (we didn't want to move on our last night). The room had everything you needed though food and drinks were on the pricey side, particularly in comparison to other places in the city. The appearance of the hotel inside and out is fantastic and sunrise over the river is amazing to watch. Staff were beyond helpful, very polite. Food was great, breakfast was plentiful with something for all tastes. Laundry is expensive, I recommend trying the street directly opposite the hotel for drinks, haircut, massage and laundry. We paid $4 for our whole laundry for the week, the hotel was going to charge us that for 1 t shirt! Overall I love Cambodia and will be back. The Cambodiana is definitely a recommendation.

• Stayed: November 2013