“practical but without charm”
Review of Hotel Cambodiana

Hotel Cambodiana
Ranked #97 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This large, international hotel has most of what a guest expects from such a place: spacious and practical rooms, a large swimming pool and gym, a good buffet breakfast, and friendly and effective service. The hotel has also different shops, including an excellent coffee and cake shop. It's rather expensive compared to what is on offer in Phnom Penh, and it has little charm. The hotel restaurants at dinner time are quite depressing.

Room Tip: The rooms with a river view are more expensive but also more pleasant.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 April 2014

This is a large, gracious hotel from the 60s, designed with close attention from then King Sihanouk. It is on the river, and looks magnificent from the outside, reminiscent of the nearby palace architecture. Though the hotel has clearly been renovated a few times, it could use another spruce up -- lighting and plumbing in the large rooms are a bit dicey. Clean, good service and location, and an exquisite pool overlooking the river.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Desperately in need of a revamping. The counter of the bathroom was riddled with cigarette burns, as was the carpet. One bed was as soft as a trampoline, while the other was clearly at the end of its useful life.

The in-room wifi was abysmal and completely inadequate. Other businesses in the area seem not to have this problem, so I'm not quite sure why the Cambodiana can't seem to sort this out.

That said, the he staff seems to be doing their best with what they've got to work with. The complimentary breakfast was delicious, though getting a local newspaper was sometimes a challenge. And the flat-panel TV in the room was large and modern.

Room Tip: In general, it's a quiet hotel. The river side gets you a view of the Mekong and the rising sun...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Cooper B
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I go to Phnom Penh and stay at the Cambodiana once a year with a group to do some service work. I was the leader of the group and we stayed in 12 rooms for 4 nights.

Checking in at the hotel always takes longer than it should. When we arrived, they had a basket with keys and asked us to go to the 4th floor lobby to complete the check-in - something new this year. We dutifully went up and then waited 5 minutes before any staff member joined us. Everyone was in a hurry to get to their rooms so once the staff arrived, I distributed the keys. After everyone walked away, the staff member said, "I need a copy of all of the passports." Of course that wasn't possible since people were headed to their rooms. Also, since the copy machine was in the lobby, I don't know why they sent us to the fourth floor if were all going to need to have our passports copied. Fortunately I had the details of each person's passport and I convinced them to use it.

As we were standing around near the 4th floor elevators the staff wanted to ask me a number of questions like "What time will you depart (in 4 days)?" I just wanted to go to my room and take a shower and asked if they really needed that right now. I could tell there were a series of questions they were supposed to ask me. The whole process was inefficient.

They wanted to know what time the group needed a wake-up call the next morning and I told them 7 AM. After going through all of the questions imagine my surprise when no one in the group received a wake up call. When I saw the same staff member the next afternoon I told him we didn't get our wake up calls. He apologized and said that he forgot to tell the morning staff.

It seems like the hotel is trying to be a 5 star hotel but just can't get the little things right. I'm sure they thought they were providing impressive service by sending us up to the 4th floor to check in but they didn't realize that wouldn't work if they needed the copy machine on the 1st floor. Making a big deal of asking about a wake up call and then not calling was another fumble.

Another example: On the second night I called an outside massage person I'd used before. He was escorted to my room by the bellman, I gave the bellman a tip and had a great massage. I did the same thing two days later and received a call from the lobby telling me that I had to pay $10.20 before they would allow him to come up since that was the policy for outside massage people. I decided against asking why I wasn't charged two days ago since I knew it would just confuse them. Oh, and I had to sign a form and pay the bellman the amount in cash (exactly $10.20) when he walked the person up. Odd.

The good news is that they had replaced the mattress and bedding in my room since a year ago, my air conditioned worked well (actually, too well) and they had put new tile in my bathroom.

They negatives are do that they still use the old fashioned key locks which do not seem very secure. Also when a private party is being held on the riverside the music/noise is incredibly loud in the rooms. The internet was expensive, only allowed you to use one device at at time, and required a clunky login process each time you connected.

It's good their rates are low and their location is good. That's what it has going for it.

Room Tip: The riverside rooms have a good view but when private parties are being held outside, the loud music...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2014

First of all - we had a great stay here, no complaints.

Second - yes, this hotel looks like a time warp to 1965.

That said, the bed was comfortable, the room was spotless and quiet, the staff were friendly, the breakfast was delicious, the pool was very comfortable, and the cost was less than half of Himawari or Raffles, so I'm not at all sure what people are complaining about.

The Internet was slow as molasses, but they noted that it was under repair the day we were there.

Room Tip: River view is much, much better than city view; seems obvious, but in this case "city view"...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnFromVancity
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Spent a week here on business, good value, big room, staff are friendly and very helpful, breakfast is fine, location is very central and the view from the room to the river was great....

BUT - they need to spend some money on a refurb - no hot water in the mornings, antiquated electrical system meant charging my phone etc was a nightmare and connecting to the wifi was hard work - you had to reconnect every time you went into your room

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We spent the last 12 days at the Cambodiana of our months trip,and we just cannot fault anything.the room ,spotless,spacious and comfortable,the staff could not have been more helpful and well this as you can see was our 2nd stay and we just we not disappointed at all,may I commend the ground staff who put up the most gorgeous Xmas decorations in the garden in front of the hotel,quite possibly the best in Phnom Penh,there is something magical about Xmas when away from home and well that first night we came back to well a winter wonderland --thank you.also the piped Xmas music throughout the hotel-fantastic.
Excellent food especially the abundance of choice at breakfast ,the internet was a little slow in the bedrooms however by the pool it was fine and for the slow at technology people like me the pool boy was tremendously helpful.
We would like to thank too the very curtious and professional female manageress for her help when with just a hour to go before we departed for the airport we found that my husband had lost his mobile phone.the exceptional way she dealt so efficiently with our dilemma was reamarkable a fantastic example of the high standards that are so obviously set in the hotel.
So as I sit here in a very cold and wet Scotland I will say to anyone reading this that the Cambodiana is a fantastic hotel and would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: The corridors are very long so my only niggle is that tired after a long hot day out ,the corridor o...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple