“Rooms in need of refurb but not has bad as some have said”
Review of Hotel Cambodiana

Hotel Cambodiana
Ranked #98 of 272 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 7 August 2009

After reading some of the reviews on here of this hotel I was not looking forward to my two night stay here. However, it didn't turn out to be has bad as some had said it was going to be. The lobby is fine complete with cake shop and tourist shop. The reception staff were helpful. The pool is good and the views of the river are great. The breakfast was good with western food, an omelette counter and even baked beans. You can walk to the main street for restaurants in about 10 minutes. The rooms are large but they need a refurb. They were probably very good 10-20 years ago but have suffered from just being used and look abit dated. This could be a great hotel if the rooms were renovated as it stands today it looks very impressive from the outside but the rooms are a little disappointing, having said that I would consider staying again and would recommend it to friends with a caveat on the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2009
1  Thank Shauny_A
There are newer reviews for Hotel Cambodiana

Reviewed 5 August 2009

We were fortunate enough to be upgraded to the Mekong Club, 5th Floor which had one of the largest king beds we had seen. The room was very clean and quite nice. After being away from the gym for a while was impressed with there fitness center which was up there with some of the best facilities I have experienced.
The restaurant was quite good we dined there for both dinner and breakfast and found there selections to be fairly good.
We organised transport with there concierge which was done promptly and priced competitvely and the driver was very good and informative.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kiwiflier23
Reviewed 2 August 2009

It has certainly the syle and the facilities of a four start hotel but it is evident that it has been there for quite a while. Everything in the rooms looks terribly old and old fashioned. The greatest thing is breakfast, which, alone, is worth the room price: one of the best I have ever had, a great variety of delicious food. Very good position, too.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2009

We just arrived to the Hotel Cambodiana and were leary after reading a few of the not so good reviews posted recently. I had been dealing with Siphon via email, and she handled my emails and questions with extreme professionalism. We were picked up at the airport and whisked away without a problem, and even taken to an ATM that dispensed US dollars! We checked in without a problem and were upgraded to the VIP (5th) floor, for no extra charge. My children had the room next door. There was complimentary fruit and water waiting for us, and they allowed us to view the rooms prior to checking in. This was not a problem at all.
It is standard in many overseas countries to sign a credit slip upon arrival for any "mishaps" that may happen in the room. This also covers the mini-bar etc.
If prior visitors had read anything about Cambodia, they would know that the tap water in this region isn't safe for drinking...the area is prone to flooding and the poverty doesn't allow for them to be able to pump the water system clean...thus the complimentary water in the room.
There is a great "Pencil" Supermarket about a 2 minute Tuk-tuk ride from the hotel where you can buy all the American products you are accustomed to for about half the cost. ( A can of soda is 35 cents) American money is used and greatly appreciated here. A case of water will set you back a few dollars. Alcohol is also available for about half the cost you spend in the states.
We ate at the Mekong Garden Restaurant for lunch, and it was excellent. My husband had the KungPao Chicken and I had the Fish and Chips, both came out steaming hot. We met the chef who assured us that all food was made fresh daily and I was very happy with my meal and the service.
Our room was great. Comfy beds, cool a/c, modern light fixtures, clean bathrooms. The carpet is a little faded, but that is to be expected. I was actually surprised to see carpet in a hotel room, as they are more likely to go with wood floor because of the humidity in the region.
The staff has been great in helping us plan our trip and I will add to this review as the trip goes on, but I recommend it. I think a few people may have had some jetlag...a smile and a thank you go a very long way in Asia

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2009

Centrally located, with spacious rooms, but that's where the compliments end I'm afraid. The lobby looks very impressive, but the rooms and corridors are very dated and in need of refurbishment. Cigarette burns in bathroom sink did not help matters.

Breakfast was not great, scrambled eggs very over cooked.

Definitely not 4*.

• Stayed: March 2009
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Nowhere near four star standard. Room was dingy, with stained furniture and cigarette burns on woodwork and in bathroom. Plus points were the excellent breakfast in a cavernous restaurant and friendly, attentive reception and bar staff

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2009

Oh. My. Gawd. I'm a 30-something world traveler/young professional and have been a loyal Tripadvisor reader and contributor for years now (go ahead and read my detailed reviews to check legitimacy). Each time I'm about to book a hotel, I always make sure that I get a Top 10 Tripadvisor-rated hotel, and preferably someplace where I can use or get SPG/Marriott/Hilton points. This time around, I was forced to take the Hotel Cambodiana because I was traveling with my aging, favorite relative and he wanted to stay here for sentimental reasons.

Wow. This hotel is abysmal. Where do I begin?

First off, the reception desk is corrupt. They ask you to sign the dossier and they ask you to sign your credit card bill at check-in. I suppose the signature may indeed be for authorization purposes only, but signing the hotel 'services rendered' dossier before any services have been rendered is ridiculous. I screamed at the reception attendant, and all he did was grin throughout my rant (His name is Mr. S. Somko or something similar to that). If you don't expect to be swindled and think this is merely an artifact of the 'Cambodian culture,' then maybe you don't have a problem with this transactional process. But if this raises red flags for you, then yeah, stay away from this hotel.

Secondly, the hotel restaurant was mediocre. My red cloth napkin was washed but looked dirty from almost a dozen unremovable set-in stains (edit: these were replaced by white cloth napkins my final night here). The dinner buffet was tasteless, and half of the entrees were tepidly warm. The dinner buffet on Saturday night was some (tasteless) sushi, a couple entrees, and noodle soup cooked to order -- that was it! Cold dishes looked like they had been left out for hours. I'm just hoping that I don't get food poisoning.

The room itself is mediocre. It is impossible to escape the strongly dirty musty smell of the room, even after staying in room for a few hours. The white towels are grey with dinginess (sense a pattern?), and I'd seriously consider drying myself with my sweaty t-shirts before using those towels. The clothes hangers are dirty (they actually have a label covering up the fact that they used to come from the "Hotel Sofitel Cambodiana", see my Tripadvisor pics), and my mom (who was staying in my room) didn't want to ruin her white pants by putting them on a hanger (2 twin beds, Room #308). The electrical fixtures are old and the caulking/paint job is worse than any other hotel I've stayed in (see pics). The carpet, furniture, and electronics (e.g. the phone) were almost all certainly purchased in the late 1980's (see pic). Rooms are separated by a door in the middle of the shared wall, and sound travels through there really easily. There is no iron nor ironing board! I've stayed at a few typical "Red Roof Inn's" in my lifetime, and those surpass the Hotel Cambodiana by a long mile.

I had an experience similar to 'beats21' re: hot water. One night, our room didn't have hot water. The next night, the next room over (#309, also under our reservation) didn't have hot water.

Please take a look at my pics. Many if not most of us know that 'whole-room' pics don't tell even a 1/4 of the story of a room's pleasantness. That's why I've uploaded close-up pics to show you what's going on in these rooms.

Probably the only reason I'm giving this hotel 2 stars instead of 1 star is that it is right on the coastline of the Mekong River. If you want to be steps away from the Mekong River, and can bear 2-star accommodations, this is definitely the hotel for you. In fact this is really the only hotel along the Mekong before it splits into the Basak River on the Phnom Penh side (click on the map provided by Tripadvisor). There's a nice set of pier-side gazebos (esp. great at night; nice & breezey) for guests. (But the Mekong is really NOTHING to look at. It's like people put a muddy man-made river with a couple barges in the middle of an abandoned industrial field.)

Another note: Wireless internet access requires scratch-off cards that can be purchased at the Front Desk. USD3 for 1hr time (expires 48 hours after first use), USD7 for 3hr time (expires 72 hrs after first use), and USD15 for 24hr time (expires 7 days after first use). The internet access wasn't very good. I got kicked off the network access pretty randomly.

Again, I was stuck with this reservation to suit the taste of my aging, favorite relative. Don't book at this hotel. You will likely regret it. (Any of you Tripadvisor readers are welcomed to send a message via Tripadvisor. I'm happy to chat over the phone or over a cam to talk you out of staying here. It is truly that bad!)

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family