“boutique hotel with unique deco”

The Governors House Boutique Hotel Phnom Penh
Ranked #76 of 269 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Singapore, Singapore
“boutique hotel with unique deco”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Unique boutique hotel with an inspiring decor... A pleasure to walk in hotel and enjoy all design details. Fresh food with a personal service. Comfortable rooms with a better mattress than home. Staff was very helpfull to send us to nice and new restaurants and bars... I wouls say best address of pp... Coming back

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Henry V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 June 2013

A relatively small, very comfortable and welcoming hotel. Close enough to the centre of things but in a quite area. Very well laid out with great rooms (at least the one we were in) and common areas on each floor. Pool area was great for us although could be crowded with a few people using it in hot weather (we were there in January).

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Glenn C
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Overall enjoyed my stay, though I suffered a lot from the heat at the time. Liked my room and it was pretty quiet too. Air conditioning was fine. Thought the service could have been a bit more professional in the bar and restaurant. They were very kind and eager to please, but there were times when they could have had more training, I think.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo

3 Thank magpiesbeads
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This is a very nice hotel. Refurbished from an old coloniel building. The boss is a french man, a very nice guy who is also living in the hotel. The location is quite bad. Remember to tell the tuk tuk passport office as the hotel is located next to their passport office.

Nearby nothing much. There is 1 convenient store about 200m away. 1 Big restaurant behind the hotel, ask the hotel reception or direction. Remember to ask the hotel staff to write a few dishes in cambodian language to pass to the waiter as the restaurant waiter do not understand English at all.

Room Tip: Stayed in Duras Rm10 at 4th floor. Nice double bed with a balcony. Take note the tap mixer is not wo...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

2 Thank Chiin E
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed 29 May 2013

By chance a friend in Siem Reap mentioned this hotel and two months ago my partner visited to report back with a glowing account.
My short stay last week was to short to fully appreciate this new addition to the many upmarket Phnom Penh hotels but in the two days its was a joy. This Colonial style building has been wonderfully brought back to life with a great sense of style and attention to detail, the antiques
( perhaps a few too many un related items making it look more like an antiique shop and not a hotel ) the superb lighting and displays are without question very tasteful.

The staff are attentive and esp the front desk who went out of their way to be helpful when I requested a room change..( temporary noise form an adjacent building works ) and when asked to organise my return Ibis luxury coach to Siem Reap they went out of their way to arrange and book the journey...Alain Garnier the owner was there when I arrived and it was a pleasure to meet and talk briefly on the joys and wo's of the hotel business and to hear his plans for the future at Governor's House.

Well Alain you have a very beautiful and successful hotel, I loved it and I'm sure many other guests will to.

I only briefly saw the room I did not stay in ' The Sean ' a superb first floor room with small balcony overlooking the pool and garden....what I did notice was the heavy ( very expensive ) natural linen bed sheets and pillows, you enter through the bathroom which is unusual but nice detail with the bath and bed being central to the room.
My final room was to the front of the building, a little early morning noise from the passport office next door but not enough to worry. ' The Winston ' a slightly smaller room but well furnished and equipped with everything needed from the large flatscreen TV, well stocked mini bar, the small desk, a superb King size bed ( great matteress ), good mood lighting and a great walk-in wet room style bathroom, black marble and stone everywhere with a huge rain shower and loads of space, ( nice concealed strip LED lighting ) a hook or rail for wet towels would be welcome here..another stylish room.
A nice looking and lit bar in the entrance was well stocked but no Rose wine by the glass and my Mojito cocktail was not so good, not enough rum and oh so sweet on the minty tasting sugar surup..more fresh mint and limes next time please.
The restaurant area looks very simple and well designed with its wall of glass displaying the huge impressive wine collection, I noticed the beautiful natural grey napkins and linens. I did not have dinner here but the room service Italian/ Mediteranian food from the restaurant menu served quickly in my room was very very good.
Breakfast next to the pool was not perhaps the best in town but its good to be a little negative on something when every thing else is just so superb.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank bmgpjl4
Biel, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 May 2013

This wasn't our first choice. We went to the White Mansion due to very high reviews on TripAdvisor (listed no.2 in Phnom Penh). We asked to see the rooms we'll be staying in first. They asked us to make a full amount cash deposit because we don't have a credit card which we were willing to do coz the sweet looked amazing. We came back again at 2pm to check in but instead of the room they showed us, we got another room which they said was also a sweet but it was totally different from the one we saw. The staff said that the room we saw isn't available. We were very upset coz we've been looking at hotels all afternoon. Luckily we were able to get our cash deposit back so we decided to go back to The Governor's House that we saw earlier. Thank god we did coz it was wonderful. We stayed there for 5 nights. The staffs were all very friendly and helpful. The place was an old-world beauty. The deco was truly charming. Very reasonable price considering everything. Big thanks for all the lovely staffs and we'll definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alex B
AGarnier, Owner at The Governors House Boutique Hotel Phnom Penh, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and all your kind words!

It is very rewarding and encouraging to read you great review. We are genuinely happy we could provide you with amazing service and that you loved your stay. I will personally pass on your thanks to entire team, they will surely be delighted. We all look very much forward to welcoming you back and show you yet another wonderful time.

Yours sincerely,
Reviewed 2 May 2013

This is one hotel I will definitely come back again. Stayed here for 2 nights. Modern hotel with a little touch of old rustic feel to it. The owner must be an antique and art enthusiast. The hotel is well decorated with many old furniture and art collection. I love the open air well in the middle of the hotel (it would be better if its not covered). The workers are very helpful and give personal attention to their guest. I’m here for business trip so don’t really have much time to explore the city but I believe the location is also quite strategic as it’s close to many local attractions. Most of my meetings was arranged in the hotel itself and I must say the atmosphere and surrounding can’t be any better. Quite and relaxing area beside the pool for meetings and also good to finish up my work at the end of the day.

In term of food, the breakfast selection was good. You have a choice of local or American breakfast order from the menu. Lunch selection also good with mixed of local and western selection. Price is reasonable considering the portion given. Room wise, since I’m travelling alone, I stayed in a single room located in the 4th floor and for those physically challenged it can be quite a steep walk up (no elevator).

The room itself was ok slightly small but for single person for two nights I have no complains. If I were to make some suggestions it would be to add in another closet or cloth hangers and a door ledge. I have a chance to check out the bigger room at the 2nd floor and I must say its a luxury and beautiful beyond words. All and all, it’s a good hotel for business travelers and also couples. Not too sure about family though.

One thing to note, there's no big signage (just a small "GH" logo) at entrance of the hotel so it might be difficult to locate the hotel if the driver its not familiar with the hotel location.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear sir,
thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel. We are delighted to having guests like you who appreciate the location, the decoration and the services. We like feedback like this so we learned about some details we have to work on it.
Consider the signalisation we are agree that it is not well indicated, but it's located in one of the most well know street in the city and in the residential quarter. Some people want to have it very private. We planned to have a very big sign at the outside-wall of the hotel when we'll operate a second restaurant , a fusion Italian open kitchen restaurant in the wonderful front garden.
We are delighted to know you'll coming back to Phnom Penh and I hope I'll be there at your next check-in to greet you and to see if I can upgrade your booking, so you'll enjoy a different room type.