“unbelievable” 1 of 5 bubbles

Golden River Palace Guesthouse
Ranked #162 of 333 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
“unbelievable”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

I booked a room online only to arrive and find the door was made of clear glass and there was no curtain! The bathroom was really dirty as well so I asked for a refund but the manager wasn't interested as he already had my money. Terrible, and not what I needed after a 7 hour bus journey. Found a hotel called '19 happy' just round the corner which was cheaper and much nicer!

• Stayed January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Cancelthemilk
Kasibona D, Owner at Golden River Palace Guesthouse, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Did not you stay in my dormitory room because of my room or Tuk Tuk driver? You cheated TUK TUK driver by not paying him any money. You stated that agoda advertising that our hotel offered free pick up. WHERE? Agoda and I myself clarify again and again that we don't provide free pick up. Dormitory bed costs you only 5$ and you asked TUK TUK from our hotel to your bus station near Chroy Chong Va bridge which is so far away from our hotel. Tuk Tuk driver charged you 5$ and it is NOT expensive. You insisted him not to pay any money as it is free. You said agoda sating free pick up. You are a native speaker and it can't be confused. I ask agoda to contact you about this issue. ARE YOU HONEST CUSTOMER? or AM I STUPID that you ask me to pay TUK TUK driver for 5$ in which that bed also costs 5$? Honestly, you would face a problem with police as the Tuk Tuk driver asked police to solve this problem on that day but you run away. Where you gonna hide your face among other foreign customers for the case of cheating TUK TUK for little money? Ask everyone around you, agoda representatives, and the reviewers here about free pick up service from AGODA. It is true or a FAKE made by U? Please come to my guesthouse and I refund your money back but don't forget to pay TUK TUK driver. Agoda has mentioned about this issue and they know what kind of person you are. Please walk if you don't have enough budget. Don't cheat our TUK TUK driver. Even our country is poor, your 5$ can't pay even our breakfast. Be honest and fair since you r from Europe country. You are the first one for me that asking for free pick up which costs exactly the equal our room price. I think it is not stupid for you since you do business like this in your country. If you want to meet me and agoda agency, please come to my guesthouse or email.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

The location, the staff and the space of the room are ok, but the rest......
The carpet in the room looks dirty, little carpets up on, to hide what?
The 2 beds of room 201 were made up strange, the sheets looked like when you protect something from dust. So no decent made up beds.
The shabby curtains hide a terrible view, right into the slums of Phone Penh. The windows half with bars, which made you feel like in prison.
No trashcan, no toilet paper and the towels looked used.
The telephone not working.
Ants in bed and a visit of a cockroach on the bed made it complete.
How come all the good reviews on TA???
Is 201 the only room like that? I can not believe that.
We booked by Agoda, already payed otherwise we would have left searching for an other place to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TorretjedeCorse
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

i had a room with balcony which was great..i can watch the action on the street as it faces the market..lots of street food stalls in the area..and the main tourists sights are just a stone throw away no need for tuk tuk, just walk..clean rooms and the staff are very helpful..will definitely stay again when i go back to phnom penh

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ladyrc1115
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

I would give 6 points if I could, but I can't.

We ended up in Golden Palace by chance, because our hotel before was terrible. We wanted to stay for one night, but ended up staying almost a week...! Nice large rooms, great area and super friendly people!! What do you want more...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

An affordable and comfortable guesthouse with clean environment. Beddings are clean and room for 3 person is very well-kept. Stayed in room facing main road but not noisy at night. Staff is helpful. Communication in English is not a major problem, simple basic English is understood for night shift staff and morning shift staff speaks fluent English. Bathroom and water is clean. Guesthouse is close to Royal Palace and riverside and Central Market.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Tolmie, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Very happy with the room by SE Asian standards and good value for money. Aircon and shower good and cleanliness fine.

What was more important to me were the staff. They were all very keen to please and went out of their way to help me with a couple of tricky situations. My luggage was lost in transit from Aussie and I asked for the airline to deliver it to my hotel when it was found. That evening it turned up delivered to my room by the hotel staff so what more could I ask. Also one of the staff arranged for a locksmith to unlock the security padlock on my bag which somehow wouldn't open with the key. I am extremely thankful for all their help.

The managers English is very good, and while the others only speak limited English we managed to understand each other. On the one occasion they couldn't understand me (re my padlock situation) they phoned the manager and he spoke to me and then his staff and organised it.

They also organised my onward bus trip to Battembang for me - pickup from the hotel so what more could you want.

Room Tip: I had room 201 and was very happy with it.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Gina H
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 3 nights, a friend of mine has been here before and she was right: next to a market and close to all touristic attractions, this sure is one of the best guesthouses in Phnom Penh. No bar, no restaurant, so of you want to meet backpackers you neef to go out. Especially the rooms at the back (I stayed in #301) are quiet. No view at all, but I don't need one since I only stayed in my room at night. Room came with a cooler and a tv.

En speciaal voor de Hollanders die dit lezen: prijzen zijn onderhandelbaar. Hij begon bij dertig dollar, maar toen ik zei max 10 te willen betalen was dit ok. Kwam ook deels doordat het guesthouse niet vol zat.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo