“Peaceful happy break in Phnom Pehn”

Monsoon Boutique Hotel
Ranked #17 of 325 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Peaceful happy break in Phnom Pehn”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This hotel has an incredible location next to the Riverfront area of Phnom Pehn.
The Monsoon was absolutely spotless regarding cleanliness and at a competitive fair
price. We had a double room at the front of the building with a balcony so we could watch
the nightlife!!! and the hustle of the city which can be a real eye opener.The staff were
fantastic and the breakfast fantastic too. All in all, cannot rate it highly enough. Many
thanks.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Randylim, Owner at Monsoon Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your amazing feedback. We are indeed well located in the heart of downtown Phnom Penh which is definitely an advantage to explore this growing city. I could not be more delighted to hear that my team made your stay special and I will make sure to pass them on your kind words. We hope to seeing you back again very soon.

Leakhena Ya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Hi,

I am a regular at this hotel and you can see from past reviews I speak it " like it is " I have reviewed this hotel a few times before and I am in the trade as a hotelier for 20 years. You can see from my past reviews of other hotels as well as this one, I speak truthfully and honestly. I am therefore surprised by a few recent comments on here but we all speak as we find.

Firstly, it is what it is a medium range budget hotel in a great location. You are steps away from the riverside and close to all the local landmarks and interesting places to visit. Rooms are quirky, well designed, fun, clean and comfortable with great air con and nice shower area and bathroom space. My room had a balcony overlooking the street. They provide all the usual soaps, shampoos in the rooms.

The WI FI is good and available free in the rooms and they even have a complimentary computer downstairs. The new improvements and alterations to the hotel are now completed more or less and it is just fine tuning that is being undertaken.

The owner/manager speaks fluent English, Cambodian and some Thai. They are friendly, approachable and a pleasure to talk to. They have assisted me in the past with both traditional massage and even found me a top class dental practice in the city! I still use this dentist to this day.

Bed sheets linen and towels are spotless as are the bedrooms.There is a nice bar and coffee shop on the ground floor for your breakfasts and nice little bar with friendly bartender.

You are in the centre of town near the river in a premium location to get to many places. If you want peace and solitude in a big city with a swimming pool and so forth then maybe this place is not for you.

They provide taxis and tuk tuk service and are knowledgeable and helpful regarding tourist attractions but definitely not pushy at all. I generally use the tuk tuks outside this hotel to collect me at the airport.

You just feel at ease and comfortable in this hotel. Bar prices are fair and not expensive nor is the food menu.

I find it serves my needs and purposes very well and I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to trip advisor customers and to my friends who are booked there in August.

A small boutique gem!! I will be back in July and August.

Room Tip: Pay a little bit more and get a deluxe with balcony. Slightly bigger room as well.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mister K
Randylim, Owner at Monsoon Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for taking the time to write this extensive review of our hotel regarding your stay with us. It is our great pleasure to go above and beyond for our valued guests. Our staff work hard each day in order to make our customers feel valued and we are pleased to learn that this was evident during your stay with us. We look forward to your next stay and want you to know that we truly value you as our guest.

Best regards,

Ottawa
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I didn't really have any problem with my stay at the Monsoon Hotel. The room was clean and quiet, especially when you consider how busy the street it is located on is. The location was good as it is close to the bus station, the Royal Palace and Musuem, and various other sites. My main issue with this hotel is the lack of hot water in the bathroom. Phnom Penh wasn't the cleanest city, and it would have been nice to come back to the hotel for a nice warm shower to refresh myself! The staff were helpful, but there were some major issues with communication regarding transfers from the bus station and to the airport.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you took to write positive comments of our property and for letting us know of the issues with your recent stay. I will discuss these points you have raised with our maintenance manager and front desk supervisor. Our rooms are checked and double checked prior to having our guests arrive and I am very sorry for the unfortunate incidences that you experienced but, rest assured, we will check our rooms and correct the deficiencies immediately.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you.

Best regards,

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The hotel has good and bad points. It is very modern in the rooms and downstairs and clean etc. Our room however had no window and was noisy at night but it is in the city center so hard to avoid i guess. The location is reasonable being only a few minutes walk from the Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda, Riverside etc. The room could have been a bit bigger maybe. The staff are nice but a little young and inexperienced. Also their English is not as good as some other hotels making onward travel booking more difficult. All in all a reason place hence 3/5 score.

Pros: Central location, modern rooms, clean

Cons: a more senior staff member on duty would be good, noise level, window or more obvious "no window" at booking.

Room Tip: Do not get a room facing the street at ours did not and was still noisy so ones facing the street mu...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your recent review of our property. It was nice to read the mostly positive review and I apologize for the annoyance that you have also noted and will make the appropriate corrections.
We genuinely hope that you will stay with us again on your next trip to Phnom Penh.

Luang Prabang
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We arrived around 10PM and were supprised by the amount of adult bars in the street. Once in the hotel you dont notice anything from the nightlife outside.
Its a really nice looking hotel with very friendly staff and after check in we went to our room on the 1st floor overlooking the street. We had a nice balcony where we could sit and watch the nightlife. when we went into the room and closed the door you didnt hear anything from the bars outside. And because of the milk glass there was hardly any light pollution.
The rooms are clean and nicely decorated. and I loved the bathroom with a modern looking bathtub. Breakfast was good as you could choose from 5 different dishes (continental and Asian) and choice of beverages.
The location of the hotel is really good. It's just a couple of minutes to the riverside and the Royal Palace. There are plenty of restaurants and bars around. And not just adult bars.
We had a really nice time in this hotel and would certainly go back when we are in Phnom Penh. Dont let let the adult bars scare you away as during the day there are loads of other shops open and local life just is all around and at night the bars keep to themselves and you can sit quietly in front of the hotel with a drink without anybody harrassing you.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PeckishAdventures
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your extensively positive comments regarding your recent stay with us. We really appreciate your feedback and are very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. The hotel industry in our city is extremely competitive and we are glad that you have chosen our hotel for your lodging need in Phnom Penh. We look forward to being of your service to you again soon.

Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

I spend a lot of time in Cambodia assisting NGOs and have stayed in several hotels in Phnom Penh. Monsoon is my favorite. The location is near my work and there are many places to eat nearby. It is near the riverfront.

The staff are very helpful and friendly. The rooms are always clean. The complimentary breakfast is very good.

Leakhena, the manager, is very responsive to requests. I brought a large church group here last summer and she made everyone feel at home. Her staff are a reflection of her professionalism.

I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Randylim, Owner at Monsoon Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thanks very much for your kind words and the time you took to share them with us. It is great to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Rest ensured that we will take your comments for further encouragement within the team to ensure personal service and warm welcome for your next visit. All the best and see you again soon!

Warm regards
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Had a very plaesant and relaxing 2 days here, staff always friendly and helpfull, breakfast was good, room nice and big, love welcome drink and fragrant towel on arrival. close to night life and all that Phnom Penh has to offer. Would recommmend this hotel as very good value.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kazaperth
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking time and sharing your positive experience with fellow travelers. I am glad to learn that you had a great time in Phnom Penh and our hotel. Certainly, our location is a huge advantage when exploring the town. I am also pleased that you enjoyed our signature welcome drink and cold towel upon arrival.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope we will have opportunity to serve you again in the near future.