“A nice option in town”

Ranked #16 of 327 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Lucerne, Switzerland
“A nice option in town”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed here just one day but we enjoyed it a lot. The room was spacious and clean, it was facing to the street so we had some noise during night. The breakfast was very basic and poor, surprisingly fruits had poor quality in a tropical country. The staff was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Snoww2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

As a fairly good mid-price option (c.50 USD per double room) in central Phnom Penh we can recommend Khmer Surin. After our first stay here and a few days at the beach we were happy to return to the hotel to have a good and reliable contact point. The bed- and bathroom are nicely decorated, it's spotless clean, the street is quiet in the night and the breakfast offers good choices. The best part are the many plants and flowers everywhere - so it feels like a small oasis in buzzling Phnom Penh.
Given the fact that Khmer Surin operates an impressive large restaurant (that's the core business with more than 300 seats, the rooms seem to be an add-on) the atmosphere however was a bit unpersonal - rather like in a hotel and not a small guesthouse. The service was fine, though.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sascha_and_Inge
Penang, Malaysia
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Khmer Surin is a great boutique guest house. We stayed on level 3. The staffs are genuinely nice, and would go to an extend to accommodate. My friend left his wallet on the coffee table, and it was there when we come back. I would book that hotel again in a heart beat.

Here are the detailed reviews:

The goods:
- Safe environment
- Convenient location
- Great service, and there is a restaurant right downstairs (it's quite expensive for Cambodian's price)
- They have a balcony where you can sit down
- Very nice decor, and the rooms are newly renovated
- There is a lift

The bads:
- There's no swimming pools or spa
- The restaurant is quite expensive, I would recommend Tom Yam Kong, which is the next street up to the main street
- They reception closes around mid night, so DO TAKE THE PHONE NUMBER OF THE GATEKEEPER if you plan to stay out. We were scared we were locked out one night we went out.

Good luck with your trip, and have a wonderful time.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank WhatAboutThisAU
Houston, TX
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I live in Phnom Penh and hosted a group of 19 people in early October, 2013. I looked at several places but landed on Khmer Surin because they had space enough for my group and they gave me a nice discount for a group my size. It has more of a guesthouse feel than a big hotel and the restaurant is really relaxing and lovely. You feel in the middle of the jungle while you eat your dinner but just outside the city bustles. We had one group lunch at the restaurant and I've eaten there several other times and the food is quite good Khmer food. It's not fancy but the sanitation is good and it tastes great. They did a great job of taking care of my group including dealing with people who left things in the safe and booking extensions for someone who had a passport stolen (not at the hotel). This guesthouse is in the heart of a good safe place in the city. It's not on the popular riverside but I think that might even make it safer. It's central enough for all of the attractions you'd want to see in Phnom Penh and there are a slew of good restaurants and massage places nearby. I personally really like East/West massage around the corner on 278. The owner is Thai and he's taken time to really train the young men and women who work there.

I'd use Khmer Surin again in a heartbeat. The only reason why I don't give them a five start is no pool and one of my participants arrived and there was water standing in the floor in her room. I think there was a plumbing problem. This participant simply moved in with another guest which she did without complaint and Khmer Surin never charged me for the room. They made everything easy.

Room Tip: I think the rooms not on the main street are probably quieter although no one complained. Every roo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank timoray
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Pros:
Very comfy bed
Rooms & building decorated with a lot of taste (it does actually look like in the pictures)
Lot of greenery > quiet & refreshing
Very helpful staff
Copious breakfast (included)
Located right in BKK area, close to the touristy area (Royal Palace etc.) and not too far from Russian market area

Cons:
As always in such place, overpriced restaurant, so I'd recommend lovely "Café Soleil" in the same street

Conclusion:
If you are not on a budget, this place will make you love Phnom Penh even more

Room Tip: If you go for a "Deluxe room", ask for C9, it's bigger and better furnished.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank louzdelaluna
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

We are so happy we stayed at the Khmer Surin Guest House.
The rooms are clean and beautifully decorated, the restaurant ambiance is magical, the food is superb and the attention formidable. If you visit Phnom Penh you will find a peace of paradise in Khmer Surin.

Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Maria C
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 26 September 2013

This hotel is pretty close to perfect. It is well located on a reasonably quite street close to a number of good restaurants, bars and shops. The public areas of the hotel are lovely with a garden feel. My room was beautifully decorated, immaculately clean and generally very lovely with a genrously-sized balcony. The breakfast in the lovely dining space was plentiful and the staff were friendly and helpful.

I cannot fault this place. I will be returning to Phnom Penh and I will stay here again. My only disappointment is that I couldn't stay here longer.

Absolutely excellent.