“Surreal experience of what was and what will be”

and 1 more site!
Khmer Surin Boutique Guesthouse
Ranked #13 of 335 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The drive from the airport took approximately 30 to 45 min. It will vary depending on the traffic which is a local attraction in its own.
Don't be to hasty in judging this book by its cover, since arriving to guesthouse during day time (considering the little alleys we had to take to get there) can be misleading. Once inside, you are greeted with beautifully designed restaurant with both inside and outside sitting. To the right of the main lobby is a small rectangular pond with miniature bridge. Crimson curtains, decorated woodwork, and clay vases filled with water with kaleidoscope of flowers and petals.
The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Most spoke English. Our room was on the second floor and when we asked, mostly out of curiosity, to see other available rooms, the manager gave us a tour of all available rooms. We ended up staying in our room. It was clean, albeit some what smaller comparing to other we've seen. It was clean, queen size bed (I think), full shower. It had a small side door to the balcony which we never used.
The guesthouse is part of a restaurant which spawns across three floors (third floor has a semi open roof although there is not much to see in the alleys below :) ). Not certain but I believe first two floors are for a la cart servings and third floor is a buffet style. Both a la cart and buffet offers delicious food (the best pineapple chicken rice ever). Great service (although if you are used to more US expedited style, be patient. Just about everything on the menu, including drinks are made on the spot so it does take time). Keep an eye of local delicacies at the buffet such as spiders :)
Located virtually at the center of the city, it is very easy to get around. The guesthouse manager assisted us in arranging tuk tuk for the whole day for $15 (these guys camped outside the hotel all hours of the day and night ... feel free to negotiation but be fare. We paid our guy extra $20 since he was really good). We never had an issue with loud noises.
And the place is very affordable.
Overall I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dennis05252003

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We had 4 rooms over the course of our stay in Phnom Penh and found the staff very helpful, the rooms were clean, well appointed and quiet and we had everything we needed nearby. (Delicious restaurant on ground floor, internet, safe area, laundry and massage salon)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank RoundtheworldfromQLD
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Pros:
- very nice rooms, profusely furnished in Khmer style, with modern bathroom and nice, little terrace;
- the hotel restaurant seems to be very popular among locals (although I did not have the chance to try it).

Cons:
- the staff has a long way to go in terms of helpfulness and hospitality, both at the moment of reservation (slow in answering e-mails and not clear at all) and at the hotel itself (reception was often vacant; at breakfast they even forgot to bring me juice, which was clearly mentioned in the menu).

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank LVB1770
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

The guesthouse as such has absolutely no problem. Very nice rooms, some people may feel the rooms have too much of furniture but we like it the old Khmer style. The bathrooms are as good as new (at least the one we stayed in). The only negative about them is their booking procedure which is very unprofessional. Bear with this long story to exactly know what we experienced.
So basically I was booking this place for my husband's birthday. I sent them a mail enquiry for which they replied saying they have only a superior room 60$ available on those dates and the rooms that were cheaper were sold out. I mailed them confirming my booking for which I dint get any confirmation. I had to call them and then they replied saying "confirmed" but dint ask for any advance or passport details nothing. I had asked them to arrange for airport pick up but on arrival at the Phnom Penh airport there was no one. We anyway got a tuk tuk and went by ourself to the guesthouse. On arriving at the hotel when we asked them y there was no pick up arranged they said there was no tuk tuk available as they had some local regional festival that weekend (the festival part was true) but we could make out that they had forgotten to even arrange for one. There were so many tuk tuks standing idle outside their property. Then they showed us the room which was nice but the bathroom looked really small (clean though)totally the opposite of what the reviews read and what I had seen in pictures. When we started probing on the kind of rooms available we realized he had given us just a deluxe room which was only 50/55$ whereas I had booked a 60$ room and he was charging me 60$ for a room of just 55$. Had we not asked they wouldn't have told us and we wouldn't even come to know, which was so unprofessional. Later we asked him y we were not being given the superior which we had booked the answer was "the guest who is staying in the room allotted to you extended his stay by 2 more days and since he is staying here from past 1 month how can we ask him to vacate". They didn't bother to inform us about this change and ideally they should have given that guest the deluxe for those two days and given us the superior. Last but not the at least informed us on arrival. Very bad staff in terms of dealing with goof ups. They didn't seem to even feel sorry for what they did. Apart from this experience the food was really nice original Khmer style and rooms were well maintained.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Preethi R
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I have stayed at the Khmer Surin several times and enjoyed my visit every time. The rooms are well designed, beautifully appointed, quite spacious and very clean. While the hotel is on a busy corner I wasn't bothered by traffic noise. The food in the restaurant is good, but the service can be a little slow. So long as you aren't in a huge hurry this is not a problem. The staff have always been extremely friendly and helpful. The dense vegetation surrounding the property and the flowers everywhere help create a nice tranquil setting and helps cut out the traffic noise. There are also plenty of good places to eat within walking distance as well.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank risjc
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Khmer Surin offers rooms which are well-designed and tastefully decorated with wood furniture, making it warm and welcoming for guests. I had the Deluxe Double room (US$60/night) for 6 nights as it was a pleasant stay.

The quality of the accommodation was the highlight of Khmer Surin as the room was so comfortable I was reluctant to start my day early. Also, the daily cleaning of the room was thorough and proper, making the room a welcome sight after a long day of exploring the city.

The location of the guesthouse is in BKK1 so you're located closer to the Russian Market, Tuol Sleng Museum and the Independence Monument. For the bulk of the other attractions, they are further towards the riverfront area. However, tuk-tuks are widely available if you wish to get to the other attractions and shouldn't cost more than US$3 one way. For those exploring the city on foot like me, a 15 to 20 minutes walk (taking into account navigating the chaotic roads) should put you in the riverfront area. (Tip: Use Sothearos Blvd instead of Sisowath Quay for a more pleasant and less dangerous walk towards the riverfront).

The service of the crew was average and like some past reviewers have mentioned, more akin to that of a hotel and lacks the personal touch that I would expect of a boutique guesthouse.

Khmer Surin operates a restaurant as well and if you do dine there, the quality of the food and service is good (especially in the evenings) though the prices are comparatively higher than neighboring food establishments.

To conclude, if you value comfort, Khmer Surin is an ideal choice. If you are looking, however, for more personalized service, you should explore other options.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank chaiwm
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed here just one day but we enjoyed it a lot. The room was spacious and clean, it was facing to the street so we had some noise during night. The breakfast was very basic and poor, surprisingly fruits had poor quality in a tropical country. The staff was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple