“Nice hotel but situated ontop of a building site!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of TeaHouse

TeaHouse
Ranked #20 of 275 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel but situated ontop of a building site!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

This is a nice little hotel with some special touches but unfortunately is right next to a building site which starts up at 7am! Also the hotel itself was doing works, drilling, banging etc, the whole time we were here. Not good if you are jet lagged and need a sleep during the day!!! Not relaxing at all. Food in the restaurant was very good and complimentary iced tea on arrival was a bonus.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Clairelouisehalls

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I travel a lot and in my tours, I happen to stay at different kinds of hotels-good, bad , big, small etc. But one thing, which is common in all the hotels is the reception area and the other usual fact about reception is that it's an indoor thing. I am not sure about you, the reader, but if you ask me , I have never seen any hotel with an open-air reception area. Yep, you read it correctly-open-air, that's precisely what I said! And this was something which blew me away when I entered this hotel-TeaHous.

As I said, the reception is probably the most unique feature of the hotel. It's completely open. The hotel has tried to utilize the front porche of it very nicely. At the moment you enter, you are greeted with a welcome drink and you see yourself surrounded in lots of greenery. The staff is friendly. There is problem of language to some extent but the hotel staff still does a decent job when it comes to speaking English.

The room which I took was a normal, single occupancy room. Mine was a pretty basic one(had a window for sure) with just the minimalistic facilities. The washroom was okay, small but can't be called bad and had hot water. The staff tries to do their best to keep the room clean.Only once I didn't find my room made up and staff did clean it up right away. Mine was on the second floor and the decor of the floors is also nice. It's not really like the other hotels-glittery and all fancy yet is pleasant to the eyes.

I ordered the food once. since I am veg, there wasn't much for me to order and I ordered my food from outside.In the morning, the complimentary breakfast menu is good. There is a good variety of several items including fresh fruit, bakery items, juice and the obvious-tea and coffee. Besides the breakfast area , there is swimming pool and also a small gift shop, owned by the hotel itself.

The best thing for me was that the hotel offers wifi internet with a good speed. Since I was there for work, it was very important for me to have the internet. Also, just outside the hotel, there are several "tuk tuk" with drivers wearing the t-shirts saying "friends of TeaHouse" . It's really tough to make the tuk-tuk drivers understand where you want to go but these guys, who stand outside, are good and since they are probably linked or registered with the hotel, are safe as well to use.

Overall, the hotel is completely worth the money. If you are looking for a good hotel which won't charge you a lot and yet give you a very good place to stay at Phnom Penh, TeaHouse is a highly recommended one.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SharmaAman
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here twice whilst travelling around Cambodia and both times the rooms, staff and service were excellent. We checked in, booked buses, a boat trip and a massage all at the same time without any fuss. Hotel was clean and nicely decorated and breakfast was okay. I would recommend, especially for the bargain price

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Cahors, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

After having stayed at 1 of the sister hotels, they could not accommodate me on my return, so I booked this hotel.
I got a good rate however, although the room was extremely small, but ok for 1 person. The air conditioning is right above the bed, so even on low it is freezing, and then when I turned it off, it became very hot, it would have been good to have installed it on a wall further from the bed.
The restaurant/pool area is delightful, most of the staff are very pleasant, with some exceptions, including 1 waiter, who is very moody, and sometimes talks and sometimes totally blanks guests. The staff overall need more training, they are hard to find sometimes, and never take the initiative to offer you anything.
Also they fumigate the building every 2 weeks. I was present for 1 of these visits, the staff had given notice of this, but I was totally unprepared for the extent of the smoke, when I arrived on the ground floor, I stepped out the lift, and could not see anything. It made me cough and was very unpleasant. I spoke with a friend in Laos, whose building undergoes the same regular treatment, he told me that these chemicals are very dangerous, and that the building should be not entered for at least 4 hours afterwards... Maybe this treatment, if necessary, should be carried out at night, or all guests and staff should be told they should not be around the building for 4 hours, as this appears to be a health hazard.
I did however like this hotel, but feel a few points need fine tuning.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
thepavilion, Owner at TeaHouse, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
An owner's life is tough! A review a few days ago complained that there were ants in the rooms (not usual though), this one complains about fogging.... We do treat every two week for insects and mosquitoes. But the products we use are blown away by the wind a few minutes after treatment and the chemicals are not toxic to mammals. Cheers, Alexis
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

We loved our stay here, although it was for just one night. We were upgraded to an apartment, which was very spacious. It's a really trendy hotel and would recommend staying here. The food was good, staff were excellent who all have great English. Swimming pool was small but was nice place to relax at. The hotel are happy to store luggage for you while you take in the sights of the city. TV channels if you get the time have lots of English speaking choices!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

We just were there for visiting the city so the reduced sized of the room and bathroom was not an inconvenient. The breakfast had a good variety of western and Asian food, lovely pastry and bread and really nice fruit. Maybe it is not as central as others, but it is quite good for its prize rate.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Cleanliness
Ants all over! We had a complimentary lemon tea at arrival which we left in the room and 3 hours later glasses were full with ants! My suitcase still has ants coming out of my clothes because the suitcase was on the ground and I had wet wipes inside. I bought a chocolate cake from the restaurant ($3.5) and had it in my backpack at the table... I had to throw that away too.

Rooms
We changed 3 rooms during our 3 day stay! We booked a room on the upper floors (4th) but got one on the 1st floor. Rooms on the 1st floor have NO VIEW!
Next day we got transferred to 3rd floor after a talk with the manager (Nai the manager and one girl - receptionist are the only ones who understand business) and corrected the mistake. It turned out that rooms on the 3rd floor have view over slum houses so that was a waste of time.

If you arrive at night don't be surprised if a grumpy receptionist 'welcomes you'. That guy should be fired, he is the reason we did not leave any tip for the rest for the service staff. The girls are more welcoming are ready to help (or at least try to help).
Nai the manager is the best! We had a problem with flights and he really assisted us to find another hotel (this one was booked for that night) and also offered complimentary transportation for the luggage to the other hotel. He arranged that we do not pay more than the price for we would have paid if we stayed at the Teahouse.

Room Tip: Upper floors! At least 3 and 4 floor rooms have some view. Check this with the hotel once you do the...