“Thoroughly recommend”

Ranked #24 of 317 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Thoroughly recommend”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I stayed here for 7 nights over a two week period. It's a great location near the Royal Palace, Museum and for early morning walks through the parks around Independence Monument to watch people doing exercise routines. My room was spacious, elegant and cleaned meticulously with clean, fresh fluffy towels daily. Poolside lounges and balcony chairs and tables gave me a number of outdoor places to relax, swim, read and write. Breakfast included juice, fruit, bottomless coffee, eggs, bacon, baguettes and jam. There is also a bar serving spirits, wine and cocktails. The staff were friendly and really made me feel well cared for, especially when I came down with a sickness. They organised medical treatment and went out to get me supplies late at night. During my stay, they offered to organise transport, kept my bags secure when i went to Siem Reap and offered caring and reliable service.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed in a triple room at Villa Borann with two guests in early June of 2013. We had just one night in Phnom Penh so I wanted to stay somewhere special and unique. I figured I'd stay at Villa Borann, because of its overwhelmingly positive reviews. And I agree with much of what those positive reviewers said: the hotel is very lovely on the exterior, it has a charming pool, a great breakfast, and is in a perfect location, walking distance to the riverfront and the National Museum, etc. But for what I paid for the room, it did not come close to meeting my expectations. Here are my complaints: We were on the third floor of the hotel, in a corner room. The hotel does not have any elevators, which is common in hotels in Southeast Asia, but if a hotel is only navigable by stairs, I feel it is the hotel workers' obligation to help guests get their bags to their rooms. My family had three huge bags, and only one man offered to help, and frankly didn't seem too happy about it. Secondly, the hotel bathroom did not have any handsoap, nor did it have a trash can, or floor towel (which meant when we showered the floor got soaked). Further, the bathroom smelled like sewage our entire stay. The air conditioning did not work for half of the night, so our room smelled like the sewagy bathroom.

I grant that many of those complaints may have been flukes -- air conditioning units can be fixed, etc. But the more serious issue I found was with the service itself. The two owners did not seem to run a tight ship: many of my requests were not heard, or misunderstood. I asked for a tuk tuk transport to the killing fields, and a taxi showed up instead (one of the French owners seems annoyed with me when I clarified my request for the tuk tuk). I requested a taxi to the airport multiple times, but when I was all checked out, they had seemed to forget about it. Finally, the front desk did not even have a city map.

I admit that it is very hard to get an impression of a place after just one night, and that's why I give the Villa an average review. I have high hopes that my family came to the hotel on an 'off' day, and that if we were to come back, the service and amenities would be much better. My stay just left a bad taste in my mouth, because it was a lot of cash and it did not end up feeling like a good value at all.

Room Tip: If you have lots of luggage, request a room on one of the first two floors.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kat F
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights whilst in Cambodia. After a shaky start due to our room leaking (main room and bathroom), our issue was resolved quickly and professionally by the manager of the boutique hotel.

We were more than happy with our new room - clean, spacious, nice view of the pool. The staff here are great, very friendly and helpful - the place is really relaxing with a chilled vibe and nice pool. Also a great location to explore.

Room Tip: Room at the back of hotel, overlooking pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I just had a very nice stay of 7 nights in this hotel; the room was very comfortable; the pool is very nice; the staff and the manager are friendly and the service was perfect during my stay I had never had to ask anything as everything was automatically done.
I definitely recommend this place for people who need a quiet and relaxing stay in Phnom Penh.
This place is also fantastic for families.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights last weekend and had a very pleasant stay.
The rooms were pretty large, spacious, very clean and well furnished. Bathroom was large also very clean and well equipped.
Breakfast was basic, but more than adequate and manager and staff were attentive, helpful and very pleasant.
Location was pretty good and not too far from the nightlife and attractions in the city centre.
By Phnom Penh standards it’s a little on the expensive side, but still a very good place to stay if you don’t mind spending a bit extra.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thailand
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I chose this hotel based on the reviews they received here. It is a charming hotel with a great pool and spacious room. The manager was helpful in introducing a very nice restaurant during dinner for me and my boyfriend. We even got upgraded to a triple room as it was low season when we checked-in. But that was as far as the good points go. The room we got was a bit dated, it also had a faulty wardrobe door and one of the towel had stains on it. Breakfast was mediocre (bacon, eggs and baguette). On the night before departure we requested the staff at the front desk to get us a tuk tuk to the airport, but the next morning we found out they didn't. Lucky for us there are tuk tuks waiting around in front of the hotel and we hopped into one. Last but not least, we asked the manager the location of the post office to post some cards we wrote to each other and he offered to post them for us. We were really grateful and paid him for postage fare but 2.5 months after I got back from Phnom Penh I've yet to receive my card from the postman.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The hotel is well located and has good potential; the pool was nice, the rooms were decent and the Manager was friendly, helpful and obviously concerned about us, but I wouldn't stay here again.

1. The bathroom 'window' was a large hole in the wall (possibly due to some quite serious & slightly smelly damp), which meant that we were vulnerable to mosquitos and were woken up in the night by a nearby crying baby. As we were on the 1st floor we were probably safe from intruders but I didn't feel very comfortable.
2. Although they were provided when we asked, upon arrival our room didn't have the basics like a safe, enough towels or water or a hairdryer.
3. There was internet in the reception/pool area but in our room it was intermittent at best.
4. The Manager spoke good English but the reception staff didn't, so we had to spend time explaining the time and date we wanted to leave for the airport and (according to the taxi driver they still got it slightly wrong). Also, when we asked them about a tuk tuk, they went to organise it and we thought they had negotiated a good price, but later realised that they seemed to accept the 1st (high) price the driver offered and we would probably have been better off organising it ourselves.
5. Breakfast was relatively substantial but the options were v. limited; baconx2, eggsx2, baguette (once covered in ants), fruit & juice started to get a bit tedious.

I haven't stayed in any other Phnom Penh hotels, so I'm not sure of the value.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends