“Not bad, just ok”

Ranked #134 of 318 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Liverpool
“Not bad, just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Like lots of people in Phnom Penh the staff here think all westerners are multi millionaires and offer overpriced rooms. We got them down to 12 dollars per night for an average room. Building work started next door at 8am every day. Not a bad location and the AC enabled us to sleep quite well. Staff varied from full on miserable and surly to quite friendly. A just ok place in a busy city.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here on the way to Shnooky and on the way back as well. In a quiet part of town but walking distance to a couple of clubs. Has a nice little pool to escape the heat and a bar with wifi so u can facebook with a beer.
Had no problems with the hotel it wasn't great but wasn't bad but Phnom Penh wasn't really for us. Good base to go and do the killing fields and other touristy things.
Bit pricy for what they offer but if a room with air is what your after this would be a good option.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

It's pretty expensive but it's nice with the pool and the rooms are ok. Found the staff very friendly but then they sold us fake tickets to Koh Rong Island. Payed a big amount of money to go. Ended up in a local bus that tool hours and hours. We were promised pick up from the station to the pier. There was no one there. When we came to the pier we found out that our boat company wasn't excisting and we had to buy brand new tickets. Do NOT go here.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Yeah, what everyone else says is true -- this place is run by scammers. We were brought straight here in Phnom Penh after a long boat/bus ride from Cai Bai (they obviously had made some kind of deal with our tour company). After asking us where we were headed next, they sold us two overpriced tickets to Sihanoukville on a bus which they said would arrive outside the hostel in 2 hours. 2 hours later, the bus hadn't arrived. They told us to wait there. Another 40 minutes passed. We were already really suspicious -- because the staff were indifferent and clueless, and we used their wifi to read all the bad write ups on here. Then, a Touk Touk arrived, and they tried to bundle us into it - saying it'd take us to our bus. At this point we left, and walked 5 minutes to Central Market, where we got an actual bus, at a decent price, to the same place.

We found out later that we'd dodged a fairly common scam -- the Touk Touk driver would have told us that we'd missed the bus, and he'd have to catch up to it, which would result in an exhorbitant price for the ride. But yeah, I should emphasise that all the people in the reception of this place we're participating in this scam -- and we were also told the same lie about the proprietor of the place "owning" one of the bus companies.

It's a pity -- I doubt many of the people who end up staying here would even read these reviews. Because they obviously prey on newly arrived tourists who haven't made any other plans yet. But if you're researching accommodation in Phenom Pehn, be well advised to steer clear of this place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Declan G
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

I didn't actually stay here, but my friends did and I spent a lot of time in the hostel with them and it seemed to me one of the worst hostels I've experienced anywhere. The staff were extremely rude, aggressive and just had the most horrible way of treating their guests. I spent a lot of money in there while hanging out with my friends on drinks and food, and they were always completely obnoxious to me. I also thought they were really creepy towards women. There seemed to be lots of tuk-tuk drivers or friends of the owners who hung around inside and seemed to be drunk and leery towards guests. I also observed the manager treating other people really badly. Other travellers I talked to who were staying there said there were bugs in some of the dorm beds. I bought my bus ticket to Sihanoukville from these guys too and I would strongly advise you not to buy bus tickets through them. They were more expensive than anywhere else, and even though I paid the money the night before the bus was due to leave, they didn't hand over the ticket until around two hours before the bus was going, despite repeated requests from everyone in our group. They also lied about the bus time, they told us it was leaving at midnight, when they actually handed over the tickets it said 1.30am, but the bus was actually at 2am. Despite this, they insisted on taking us to the bus station at midnight where we had to hang around for two hours for the bus. Total scammers. I wouldn't stay here, there are far, far better hostels in the city.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lonan P
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

The manager was so rude, I've never met a manager so rude and obnoxious. The dorm was good although no locks on the toilets or the bathroom. Very good air con, but was woken up every morning very early by construction/building/drilling right outside our window

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Webby1993
Siem Reap, Cambodia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

My family and I stayed just one night at the GB2 at the recommendation of a tuk tuk driver (should have known better). The price was ok. The location, ok. The room was ok, until the music started downstairs. Earplugs!!!! And then my favorite part....wait for it.....there were bugs in the bed...not necessarily "bedbugs" since I've never seen them in person before, but definitely bugs in the bed.
They definitely overcharge for bus tickets. When we went elsewhere to buy ours, they gave us a hard time about it. It wasn't great.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!