“Where else would you stay in Phnom Penh?”

Rambutan Resort - Phnom Penh
Ranked #5 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
“Where else would you stay in Phnom Penh?”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

After a rough flight with an hour of sleep, mum and I were so happy to see the happy Rambutan staff waiting for us at the airport. Once we got to the resort, we saw nothing but the friendly staff welcoming us to their resort. This resort is truly different to other resorts I have been to as the reception is outside and as soon as you step into the resort, you can immediately experience modern art and traditional Cambodia all at the same time.

I have stayed here for 4 nights and throughout my stay at the Rambutan Resort, not once were any of the staff members reluctant to help me in any way. To prevent you from getting ripped off by the tuk tuk drivers on the streets, the resort can organise a tuk tuk for you at a great price! (main city area is only US$3 away by tuk tuk). The room is very clean with modern designs but the grey flooring adds a Cambodian feel to everything, which I loved. The housekeeping was done immaculately each day and the TV in the room has a variety of international channels.
The food is very clean and delicious, always providing both Asian and Western food options. The cocktails are also amazing - highly recommend the Rambutan Mojito!

During my stay I was lucky enough to interview the owner of the resort (Dirk) and the general manager (Tum) about the resort for my blog. Like every other staff at the resort, they were more than willing to give me some information about the resort and provide further information about Cambodia for those who are interested in visiting in the near future.

Here is the transcript:

Tell us about the facilities that the Rambutan Resort provides for its guests:

First of all, we have a swimming pool for our guests, which is located next to the resort restaurant so that guests can easily order drinks and food and enjoy by the pool. We also have two massage rooms, the Japanese style room and the Chinese style room. In our penthouse, we have a Jacuzzi and most of the other rooms have an outdoor bath which means our guests can take a bath on their private balcony or garden, and that is so much nicer than staying indoors. Most people think that it is somewhat ridiculous to have an outdoor bath but trust me - it is much nicer.

How many rooms does the resort have and why are they so special?

We have 19 rooms in total – 5 standard rooms, 5 deluxe garden rooms, 8 deluxe pool view rooms and 1 penthouse. I think one of the things that make our rooms so special is that we have an outdoor bath in most of the rooms, which most other resorts don’t have.

Tell us about the location of the resort:

We are located in BKK1 which is a special area code that is more of a residential area and is very quiet and not too crazy busy like the riverside. It is very close to the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, you can also walk to the Russian Market so there is a reason why we have chosen this area and that is because it is so quiet and close to the Central Phnom Penh.

What are the top 3 must do’s/must see’s of Phnom Penh?

I will say all the tourist areas like the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, I also think the sunset cruise around the river is amazing and the lady boy show in Blue Chilli (on street 176), which is very popular amongst everyone. There are many tourist attractions in Phnom Penh, such as the Genocide Museum and the Killing Fields which everyone visits when they are in Phnom Penh, but the sunset cruise and the lady boy show are definitely a unique experience.

Why would you recommend people to travel to Cambodia?

I think Cambodia is unspoiled but still developed enough to have a pleasant holiday for everyone – regardless of whether you are looking for a simple or a luxury holiday, we provide all variation. There are many changes going on, which I think is interesting because many other countries have finished developing and there aren’t many changes happening.

Overall, mum and I had an amazing time in Phnom Penh all thanks to Rambutan Resort. I will not even consider looking at other places to stay in Phnom Penh, since I can get a 5 star experience with a very decent price.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Regina L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed in the Rambutan resort for 2 nights while in Phnom Penh and loved it! I will definitely stay there again. Great style and fantastic cocktail by Lee! Very welcoming staff and super helpful. Wished we had stayed a couple of extra nights. Lovely getaway from the craziness of the city. Hotel staff gave great advice on nearby restaurants and bars. The rooms are clean and modern with a luxurious touch. Fantastic place!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Despite only having been in operation a few months when I stayed at the Rambutan, I found it a delightful, quiet setting near the heart of Phnom Penh. The pool, although cold at this time of the year, is a great spot to relax, read, and enjoy life. Having stayed at other hotel/resorts run by the same owner, I found the staff to be friendly, helpful and always trying satisfy your wishes. Currently the menu at breakfast and at other times of the day is very good, and the 'award winning' local chef, Mengly does a wonderful job along with the other catering staff. I will be staying there again on my next visit to PP.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms offer easy access to the pool, bar and breakfast areas.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
east kilbride
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights in route from Saigon to siem reap, so glad we did. Fantastic hotel who's staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are cool and spacious and there was an excellent shower.
The breakfast is good with a large choice, I would also recommend eating in the restaurant in the evening too, the Khmer curry and fish in ginger was delicious.
The hotel isn't slap bang in the city centre but all the main tourist attractions are a 3 dollar tuk tuk away.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

At first we were disappointed with the décor of our room which had a concrete floor and was decorated in tones of grey with a rather rustic effect, but after experiencing the bathtub outside on the terrace,with the pool below us and the possibility of peeping Toms in the building opposite we thought this was all part of an unusual Hotel, chosen for our group by Tour Operators Mango Cambodia. The al-fresco breakfast by the pool was delicious and the central location useful for exploring the bustling city. We found a supermarket nearby offering buy one get one free bottles of superb Australian wine!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool on the upper floors
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This hotel was OK--not terrible, but not great, either. The pool area is quite lovely and the room I had was spacious, but compared to another hotel I stayed in in the same area, this was sub-par. There were some communication issues with staff and the location is a bit more out of the way than I would have liked.

Some of the staff was helpful in organizing excursions for me, but be sure to read and reread your bill, as mine had several charges that were put on it "accidentally."

Breakfast was average, but the Khmer massage was really good and I highly recommend getting one while staying at the Rambutan. This would not be my first choice or recommendation, but in a pinch, it is fine.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank izikson
worldtraveller062, General Manager at Rambutan Resort - Phnom Penh, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Meh,

Thanks for your review, it is for a new business always good to hear comments on the hotel and improve our service. I know we still make some mistakes with a new staff, so its good that you point us to some. The billing is serious and we will pay more attention to that and I am sorry if there was a mistake. Please let management always know when thats the case. We did not hear any of it.
The breakfast is a bit of a surprise, we hear mostly that we have an outstanding choice, you can ask anything, if they can make it they will. That also includes three Asian options and all combinations you would like. Please ask next time what you would like or miss. I am sure we can solve that.
I would also like to know what you think is sub par, we tend to believe that we are aiming to be the best hotel in the area (in our price range) and we think we do, so its disappointing that we did not prove that to you. A good point to learn from, thanks again.

Robert, manager
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights in a lovely very nice base room over looking the pool. The staff here are great, very friendly and helpful. The pool is super for a dip after a day of sightseeing and thanks to the seating in it, a longer dip with drink in hand is my favourite memory.

We ate here a couple of time too. Portions are pretty small and highly priced, but good and enjoyable food nonetheless.

The staff are it's biggest asset, it negative is I would recommend avoiding on the weekend as the hotel allows every Tom, Dick and Harry of PP expat NGO community to overtake the pool area meaning very few spots for actual paying hotel guests! I just asked the people to remove their laptops, bags and papers from the lounger so I could use it. No hassle, but when there are heavy discussions and work going on around you, it wasn't the most relaxing vibe.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple