Rambutan Resort - Phnom Penh
White Mansion(Phnom Penh)
US$96
US$88
  • Breakfast included
G Mekong Hotel(Phnom Penh)
US$65
US$36
US$33
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsoutdoor bathtubthe penthousetuk tukpolished concrete floorsthe salt water poolsister propertyan oasispool area isrussian marketceiling fanboutique hotelnice poolbusy citystayed here for nightsthe hustle and bustlesmall hotelquiet street
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is a great little hotel! I was dubious about it because I don't usually stay at 3* outside of the US as the international standard for 3* seems to be much lower--but this place is a little oasis at a great value! Not a mega hotel, but definitely a well put together little boutique place.

One thing to note: the staff is pretty good, definitely friendly, but at least one desk clerk will be afraid to tell you no. For example I asked about the boat to siem reap and was met with a "It wasn't running a few weeks ago, but I will check again, maybe it is running now..." followed up by nothing at all. I asked again later, and got an "I forgot." Later I learned from my tuktuk guy that it still wasn't running and had a different staff member make a bus reservation. Another time I tried to get the desk to break a $100 bill--got met with a nervous laugh and a (useless) suggestion to go to the gas station up the street instead of him just changing it for me. Other staff seemed more competent and got things done more readily.

You're farther from the main touristy things, but there are always tuktuk guys to take you around from right out front, they have their own little tour circuit planned and everything, so no worries there. I actually really liked both of my tuktuk drivers, they were super nice and animated, one took time to have a whole conversation with me before I took my first ride, convincing me to do the tourist circuit, the two tuktuk guys I rode with both had great english skills which was very comforting, as the level seems to be quite variable depending on where you go in Cambodia. If you have a lot to do, just take a tuktuk guy for a day or a half day to run around. You really can't easily walk in Phnom Penh anyway, and it isn't very safe to do so beyond the areas right around the markets and the royal palace area, so the distance from the tourist sites doesn't seem to be a problem. There isn't all that much to see at these places anyway, so you don't end up spending that much time there.

I expected simple decor, which the hotel had, but it was done in a very elegant, upmarket way. They also had the most comfortable beds I experienced in all of Cambodia--HUGE bonus points for that and much needed after the 19 hours of traveling to get there.

The little pool is super relaxing after a hot day sightseeing--great to be able to cool off and have a nice icy smoothie or beer. The ice is filtered and very clean by the way, I had several dishes there and no ill effects.

They also have massage services--I tried "Khmer massage" which isn't the stretching/using feet as leverage type like thai massage, but is also done with clothes on and the lady climbs on the table to get leverage on your back and stuff. Much more relaxing than Thai massage (I was able to fall asleep twice during it!) but more vigorous than swedish/oil based massages. Really enjoyable, from a sweet little woman who spoke about 4 words of English but started everything with "Scuse me ma-dahm."

Breakfast was included in my room rate and delicious, as was the food and smoothies they serve throughout the day (BEST Amok I had in Cambodia!). Do be aware, however, that Cambodia and especially Phnom Penh get up very early... you will hear the kitchen staff getting started around 6AM if you're on a lower floor. I was up at that time due to jet lag and squashing my sightseeing into a short day, so it wasn't a problem, but if you're a late sleeper you may want to ask for a higher floor or room further away from the kitchen.

Overall, liked it so much the first time that I'm returning for a night before going to the airport to fly home, and would definitely stay there again if I make it back to Phnom Penh.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I totally recommend this hotel. The staff are lovely, everything is new and very clean, the rooms are comfortable. Breakfast was great and they served really good coffee as needed. The guys at the front desk sent us to some fabulous restaurants.
Tip: always have a card with the location of the hotel on it as they sometimes have trouble finding the place.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This hotel was certainly my favorite on my recent travels to Southeast Asia. While the rooms were clean, comfortable, and nicely appointed what sets this property apart is how wonderfully friendly and attentive the staff was. The bar & pool area is a wonderfully relaxing space to enjoy after a day of exploring the city and the lychee martinis are something not to be missed.

1  Thank Viper22FL
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Hostmanship & horpitality comes at place 1 at Rambutan
U feel very welcome already at the reception
Rooms was clean and nicely decorated
Internet connection very good
Waterflow from the shower superb
Airconditioning was so constructed that u did not feel the wind while your in bed, a big +
Restaurant and bar also great service, vert fine food, lots of nice details
Clean swimmingpool :-)
I will sure go there again, and prob check out first the other 2 resorts by the same owners in Siem Raep called Golden Banana Resort

Room Tip: Had a pool view room with a hottub on the balcony, very nice
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I picked this hotel in Phnom Penh because it's a sister property of the Golden Banana/Rambutan resort in Siem Reap, and I got a good deal by booking both. The Rambutan is quite stylish with a modern, boutique hotel vibe. Very functional and comfortable room.
The location is great. It's in a residential neighborhood, on a quieter street away from the busier main drags of Phnom Penh (and those main drags can be very, very busy.) I was able to walk from this hotel all the way to the central palace area and Sisowath Quay in about 20 minutes. Not a lot of people seem to walk in Phnom Penh, so I felt like I was a farang curiosity to locals.
The neighborhood is upscale, with a number of coffee houses and restaurants within a 5 to 10 minute walk. Definitely less of a scene than the hotels at Sisowath Quay. When I came back from sightseeing, it felt like I was coming back to my own quiet retreat. At night, the area was refreshingly quiet, for being in the middle of a big, buzzing city like Phnom Penh.
The experience at Rambutan felt a little less personal than at their sister property in Siem Reap, but that could well be more the difference between a big city and a smaller city. Overall, this would definitely be my pick for a return visit to Phomh Penh.

1  Thank rgdave