“Great hotel, comfortable bed, excellent service and food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rambutan Resort - Phnom Penh

Rambutan Resort - Phnom Penh
Ranked #4 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Brisbane Region, Australia
“Great hotel, comfortable bed, excellent service and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

This hotel is fantastic. It has great modern style with comfortable beds and the food is fantastic! The staff are all very helpful. However I would probably not use one of their tuk tuks again as our driver that we had hired for the whole day did a disappearing act for about 30mins.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I ended up there from a friend recommendation, it was a delightful surprise, staff was great, food delicious and room were great. The help and caring of the staff was really precious and the service great.

Room Tip: one the best boutique hotels I have ever stayed at for a good value. would definitely come back for...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Am not sure where to start knowing that other comments have already said all of what i would say! i booked a four night stay in the penthouse suite here, it was everything i had expected and more! the room was large, clean and quite. this was my first time in Cambodia so as always you never know whats right and whats wrong in a new country but the staff here are a credit to this hotel and were always so helpful with advice and questions, the tuk tuk drivers at the hotel will take care of you whenever you went out and were really cheap. The food in the hotel was very good and i have eaten in five star places that cannot match thyme, breakfast was cooked fresh for you every morning with a wide time span for those who like to lay in! To keep it short would i go back here? hell yes and i have booked to go back in a few weeks time so that should say how good it was. Is the hotel 5 star?no of course not but i know many five star hotels that could learn a lot from them!! the staff are the key to this hotel they really are good and always made me feel welcome with a smile and a chat! the hotel is in a great position away from the noise but close enough to have fun.

Room Tip: Penthouse with the big jacuzzi and terrace is worth a look and the extra money!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
worldtraveller062, Owner at Rambutan Resort - Phnom Penh, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear MIXERMAN, thanks for the compliments to our lovely hotel and the staff. We are very happy that your first stay was excellent and see you back in a few weeks. To have a breakfast possible the whole morning is something that I often miss in many hotels and often irritates me. If you are on a trip you want to decide for yourself when to get up and have breakfast, and thats what we try to do. Thanks again and see you soon.

dirk de graaff
budapest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

We would definitely return to this hotel. It is very well located just a short tuk tuk ride from all the central attractions. Our room was clean and newly furnished. The restaurant/ pool/lobby was a great place to spend time in the hottest part of the day. Staff were attentive and able to help with any inquiry. A great place to stay.

Stayed April 2014
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed one night at the Rambutan and had a great time - the staff were very friendly, gave me a refreshing juice on arrival, and were always helpful. It was probably one the best boutique hotels I have ever stayed at - and definitely the best value. The restaurant downstairs was quite nice, food was tasty. A few of my expat friends in Phnom Penh mentioned they sometimes eat at that restaurant too on occasion. The best thing about the pool was that it's salt water! The only salt water pool I had the pleasure of swimming in in Cambodia. Most things around town were just a short tuktuk ride away, and the hotel itself is on a nice quiet street. Bed was very comfy, everything well appointed. I guess the only downside of my stay here is that it was right at the beginning of my trip, so it set the standard very high right from the start!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Diego, it was lovely to have you here and thanks for the compliments. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and the food in our excellent restaurant. Our chef is a award winning cook (silver in last years cooking competition amongst all 5 star hotels and restaurants) and we are very proud of him. We hope to see you again, soon.

Thanks again

Dirk de Graaff
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

This is a great little hotel! I was dubious about it because I don't usually stay at 3* outside of the US as the international standard for 3* seems to be much lower--but this place is a little oasis at a great value! Not a mega hotel, but definitely a well put together little boutique place.

One thing to note: the staff is pretty good, definitely friendly, but at least one desk clerk will be afraid to tell you no. For example I asked about the boat to siem reap and was met with a "It wasn't running a few weeks ago, but I will check again, maybe it is running now..." followed up by nothing at all. I asked again later, and got an "I forgot." Later I learned from my tuktuk guy that it still wasn't running and had a different staff member make a bus reservation. Another time I tried to get the desk to break a $100 bill--got met with a nervous laugh and a (useless) suggestion to go to the gas station up the street instead of him just changing it for me. Other staff seemed more competent and got things done more readily.

You're farther from the main touristy things, but there are always tuktuk guys to take you around from right out front, they have their own little tour circuit planned and everything, so no worries there. I actually really liked both of my tuktuk drivers, they were super nice and animated, one took time to have a whole conversation with me before I took my first ride, convincing me to do the tourist circuit, the two tuktuk guys I rode with both had great english skills which was very comforting, as the level seems to be quite variable depending on where you go in Cambodia. If you have a lot to do, just take a tuktuk guy for a day or a half day to run around. You really can't easily walk in Phnom Penh anyway, and it isn't very safe to do so beyond the areas right around the markets and the royal palace area, so the distance from the tourist sites doesn't seem to be a problem. There isn't all that much to see at these places anyway, so you don't end up spending that much time there.

I expected simple decor, which the hotel had, but it was done in a very elegant, upmarket way. They also had the most comfortable beds I experienced in all of Cambodia--HUGE bonus points for that and much needed after the 19 hours of traveling to get there.

The little pool is super relaxing after a hot day sightseeing--great to be able to cool off and have a nice icy smoothie or beer. The ice is filtered and very clean by the way, I had several dishes there and no ill effects.

They also have massage services--I tried "Khmer massage" which isn't the stretching/using feet as leverage type like thai massage, but is also done with clothes on and the lady climbs on the table to get leverage on your back and stuff. Much more relaxing than Thai massage (I was able to fall asleep twice during it!) but more vigorous than swedish/oil based massages. Really enjoyable, from a sweet little woman who spoke about 4 words of English but started everything with "Scuse me ma-dahm."

Breakfast was included in my room rate and delicious, as was the food and smoothies they serve throughout the day (BEST Amok I had in Cambodia!). Do be aware, however, that Cambodia and especially Phnom Penh get up very early... you will hear the kitchen staff getting started around 6AM if you're on a lower floor. I was up at that time due to jet lag and squashing my sightseeing into a short day, so it wasn't a problem, but if you're a late sleeper you may want to ask for a higher floor or room further away from the kitchen.

Overall, liked it so much the first time that I'm returning for a night before going to the airport to fly home, and would definitely stay there again if I make it back to Phnom Penh.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Pune
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I totally recommend this hotel. The staff are lovely, everything is new and very clean, the rooms are comfortable. Breakfast was great and they served really good coffee as needed. The guys at the front desk sent us to some fabulous restaurants.
Tip: always have a card with the location of the hotel on it as they sometimes have trouble finding the place.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo