“Modern and Friendly Boutique Hotel”

Rambutan Resort - Phnom Penh
Ranked #4 of 281 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed for three nights at the Rambutan while visiting friends. The hotel was lovely. My room, 419, was the largest in the complex with balcony and spa bath. While these facilities are great, the humidity in Phnom Penh during June makes using them less than attractive. The hotel public areas are open, modern and clean. Check in was easy, the pool area is fantastic and the open restaurant serves delicious snacks and meals until late at night. Cocktails like other places in Cambodia were cheap and delicious. Breakfast is adequate with a range of choices available.

My balcony door wouldn't lock properly and despite numerous attempts by the staff it couldn't be fixed. This didn't worry me. The room had a safe and I find Cambodia generally a very safe place.

Free wifi is excellent and the laundry service was so handy given the fact that clothes need changing regularly given the humidity. One thing I didn't particularly like that has been noted by other writers is the influx of outsiders that pay to use the pool area on weekends. It wasn't a big issue and it is very common in Cambodia for hotels to make their pools and gyms available for hire by locals and expats. I imagine the pool,view rooms can become noisy at these times.

The Cambodian staff are friendly and helpful although after business hours it is difficult to find someone who speaks adequate English. Again not a big deal and part of the charm of Cambodia. I have visited this country 8 times for work and leisure and love it. The location of The Rambutan is not my favourite area but it is completely safe and only a short trip to all the major attractions. The hotel is gay oriented but the guests were mixed and that was fine too.

I would recommend the Rambutan. I enjoyed my stay there.

Room Tip: Go for a back room to avoid noise from the restaurant and pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank MarkLaurence
worldtraveller062, Owner at Rambutan Resort - Phnom Penh, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Mark, It was great having you and we fixed the sliding door, sorry for that. The staff should have done that right away, so we learn. For the rest, yes room 419 (the penthouse) is great, we have added sundeck chairs to the terrace up there and next to the Jacuzzi it is great to sit and have a glass or just relax.
We try to limit the people from outside at the pool and close the doors before it’s getting busy because we know if we don’t its getting crowded and that’s not nice for guests. We might want to stop that altogether but were not clear on that yet. We have many expats friends and family staying with us in the Resort and then their friends want to visit.

Thanks for staying with us and hope to see you next time.

dirk de graaff

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We loved it here. The rooms were awesome, we had a outside bath which was great. It has a very nice pool which is perfect for relaxing and cooling off during the heat of the day. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My two friends and I stayed here for two nights in their Twin Room. Would not recommend eating here anytime except breakfast, which is free of charge and fantastic. Check in and out was relatively smooth; staff were friendly and helpful. Only problem with the service would be the lack of fluency in English of some of the staff -- it was 6 in the morning on the day of our checkout, so only a few members of staff were present, and it took us a few tries before we could communicate that we needed help in carrying our luggages down the stairs.

Our room was spacious and very clean (thumbs up!), but we found the layout of the room very awkward -- the shower was in the same area as the beds, the toilet was on the other side of the room, and neither had doors that could be locked or were opaque... definitely a hotel geared towards couples (though our room was for 3...)

Overall, great place to stay with tuk tuk drivers readily available outside the hotel, but very much geared towards couples (they advertise themselves as gay-friendly which we did not realise until too late), so made it a little awkward for 3 straight females staying in a room together.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank limwenyi

Dear "Good value for money"

Thanks for your feedback and your review. It is always good to hear that guest appreciate our place. Just a few things to respond. You mentioned that you stayed in a room with a glass door for the shower. Our experience is that most guest like that more on a holiday so we have that in a few rooms, but we also do have many rooms with frosted glass. Our staff should have asked you for that because you were with three people, sorry that we didn’t.
Our restaurant won many prizes, 'silver in Cambodian cooking competition, best chef" 2013 and we represented Cambodia in the international cook-off in Vietnam two months ago. Our kitchen is known for its outstanding International and Khmer dishes. I am not sure why you recommend people not to eat with us. Did you try? Next time I would like to invite you for a lunch or dinner.
We are a gay friendly resort and welcome everyone to stay with us. We always have a great mix of people and that’s what we like. Three girls in a room? We don’t think that’s any awkward, I hope you don’t either. Its great to stay with your friends with us.
Dirk de Graaff

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Rambutan together w our relatives who were in town for a visit (total 3 rooms for 4 days). We had our toddlers w us (4yo & 1yo) during our stay. Staff were friendly and helpful especially w my kids. The only downside was the balcony n walkway was drenched wet after the rain n it was hard to walk back to our rooms. Very very slippery n wet. Our rooms were on the 1st floor facing the pool.

Breakfast in the morning was excellent n healthy. Pancakes are highly recommended. We still visit there for breakfast from time to time.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank hanneetan
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Great hotel and good value for money too. It's not too far from the centre of town. They have really good food here so we ended up eating most of our meals here. It was also well priced. The rooms were clean and the staff were very friendly. I would stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mishmash010
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Since arrival all the team was very kind and attentive, providing fresh towels and tea. Our room was prepared, very clean, modern and beatiful! Views to the pool, quiet, bath tub in the terrace, comfortable beds and very silent air con.
Breakfast was well presented and tasty, ranging from eggs however you liked them to typical cambodian breakfast based on rice and noodles.
Fruit was tasty, freshly squeezed juices. We tried also for lunch and was wonderful and not expensive. Cocktails very good and well served.
A tuk tuk was always provided at good rates, and above all, you could trust the driver, even to come back late at night.

I would definitely recommend! I would only add manicure-pedicure service to their spa :)
The only downside is they sent a tuk tuk to pick us up but never said they will charge it, which they did. Usually hotels in Cambodia send someone but for free. Anyway, when I told them they removed the charge without any problems.

Room Tip: Rooms to the pool are quiet, yet you have a feeling of wide space.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sharidian
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed at Rambutan from 6-13 May and again from 16-20 May 2014. The hotel entrance opens up into a large, slate paved courtyard with a pool, cabanas, sun loungers, restaurant and bar. My rooms were both large, airy, comfortable and stylish. The second room was a bit of an upgrade but for he same price.

The point here is that at less than $50 a night I'm getting a stylish hotel with all amenities. It is the best value hotel I have come across in my travels. This good value is topped off by charming Cambodian service. I have really enjoyed my stay and congratulate them on a job well done!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo