“An amazing place to stay”

Rambutan Resort - Phnom Penh
Ranked #3 of 276 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I traveled to Phnom Penh to visit my girlfriend who was working there for the summer. She booked us a room at Rambutan for the first two nights of my stay. The room we got was very nice. Like many of the buildings in the city, the walls were made of smooth concrete that helped the room stay cool. It had a very nice rainfall shower and a very comfortable bed. The rooms AC was fantastic and for someone not used to the heat that Cambodia can produce, was a blessing. The other features of the hotel that I really enjoyed was the salt water pool that I hung out in and by while my girlfriend was working and the amazing kitchen/restaurant they had. There are just a few tables next to the pool where they serve food, but all of the meals were very good. I still miss their chicken caesar salad. The staff that works there were so friendly and always took such good care of us. One gentleman named Righ who is almost always there was especially great and always a pleasure to talk to. So after our 2nd day we had originally planned on switching to a different hotel, just to stay somewhere else, but both my girlfriend and myself liked the place so much we decided to stay there for my entire stay in Phnom Penh.
About half way through our stay we traveled to Siem Reap where they have a sister hotel, called the Golden Banana. Since we had such a nice time at Rambutan we decided to stay there for the 4 days we were going to be visiting the temples. There is both a hotel and a resort owned by Rambutan and the resort was exceptionally nice, the room we stayed in had a roof top patio with a shower and a tub. Somewhat confusingly though there is another Golden Banana hotel right between the two Rambutan properties, so make sure its a Rambutan property if you are looking those up. It caused us a little confusion when we first arrived. Overall our experience there was honestly just as good.
So by the end of my stay in Cambodia I spent 7 nights at Rambutan and 4 nights at the Golden Banana. I would honestly go back to both in a heart beat. For the price, it was such a good deal and I honestly think the people who worked there were some of the nicest people I met while I was there. I highly recommend them.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sponger137

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I spent two lovely nights at the Rambutan Phnom Penh. The hotel came as a recommendation from a friend and didn't disappoint at all. One of the first things you notice is the attention to detail, especially in the room, very well appointed and misses nothing, everything you need.
Rambutan has to be one of the friendliest hotels I've ever stayed in, the minute you walk through the door you are made to feel at home by all the staff. From the management to house keeping all the staff are a very happy team which reflects in their treatment towards guests.
Getting around the city couldn't be easier with the many Tuk Tuks & taxis which are always located just outside the hotel. Just tell a member of staff where you would like to go and your ride arrives immediately. Trust, safety and price are all overseen by the hotel so no worries or surprises will occur.
I am already planning a return trip to Rambutan soon, also on my list is a visit to the other hotels they have in Siam Reep, both of which look equally appealing.
All in all Rambutan is a real find and is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in, I can't recommend it more so go on give it a try, you'll love it.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Matthew C
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the Rambutan for a few months whilst working in Phnom Penh.

It is basically the perfect archetype of a "boutique" hotel.

There are hundreds of properties popping up claiming to be boutique hotels across Asia BUT you need to have style and the substance to back it up... which the Rambutan has in spades.

All of the staff from front of house to cleaners to cooks to drivers are genuinely friendly and kind. The owner/managers are a delight and it is great to spend time with them. You also feel safe which is important to consider in Phnom Penh.

We stayed in two rooms both of which were spotless, stylish and a pleasure to sleep, work and hang out in.

The pool is great. A real hub of activity at the weekend!

The food is delicious including the best breakfast I've had in Phnom Penh.

I couldn't fault one thing... we can't wait to come back!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LUKKANE
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed for three nights at the Rambutan while visiting friends. The hotel was lovely. My room, 419, was the largest in the complex with balcony and spa bath. While these facilities are great, the humidity in Phnom Penh during June makes using them less than attractive. The hotel public areas are open, modern and clean. Check in was easy, the pool area is fantastic and the open restaurant serves delicious snacks and meals until late at night. Cocktails like other places in Cambodia were cheap and delicious. Breakfast is adequate with a range of choices available.

My balcony door wouldn't lock properly and despite numerous attempts by the staff it couldn't be fixed. This didn't worry me. The room had a safe and I find Cambodia generally a very safe place.

Free wifi is excellent and the laundry service was so handy given the fact that clothes need changing regularly given the humidity. One thing I didn't particularly like that has been noted by other writers is the influx of outsiders that pay to use the pool area on weekends. It wasn't a big issue and it is very common in Cambodia for hotels to make their pools and gyms available for hire by locals and expats. I imagine the pool,view rooms can become noisy at these times.

The Cambodian staff are friendly and helpful although after business hours it is difficult to find someone who speaks adequate English. Again not a big deal and part of the charm of Cambodia. I have visited this country 8 times for work and leisure and love it. The location of The Rambutan is not my favourite area but it is completely safe and only a short trip to all the major attractions. The hotel is gay oriented but the guests were mixed and that was fine too.

I would recommend the Rambutan. I enjoyed my stay there.

Room Tip: Go for a back room to avoid noise from the restaurant and pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank MarkLaurence
worldtraveller062, Owner at Rambutan Resort - Phnom Penh, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Mark, It was great having you and we fixed the sliding door, sorry for that. The staff should have done that right away, so we learn. For the rest, yes room 419 (the penthouse) is great, we have added sundeck chairs to the terrace up there and next to the Jacuzzi it is great to sit and have a glass or just relax.
We try to limit the people from outside at the pool and close the doors before it’s getting busy because we know if we don’t its getting crowded and that’s not nice for guests. We might want to stop that altogether but were not clear on that yet. We have many expats friends and family staying with us in the Resort and then their friends want to visit.

Thanks for staying with us and hope to see you next time.

dirk de graaff

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We loved it here. The rooms were awesome, we had a outside bath which was great. It has a very nice pool which is perfect for relaxing and cooling off during the heat of the day. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My two friends and I stayed here for two nights in their Twin Room. Would not recommend eating here anytime except breakfast, which is free of charge and fantastic. Check in and out was relatively smooth; staff were friendly and helpful. Only problem with the service would be the lack of fluency in English of some of the staff -- it was 6 in the morning on the day of our checkout, so only a few members of staff were present, and it took us a few tries before we could communicate that we needed help in carrying our luggages down the stairs.

Our room was spacious and very clean (thumbs up!), but we found the layout of the room very awkward -- the shower was in the same area as the beds, the toilet was on the other side of the room, and neither had doors that could be locked or were opaque... definitely a hotel geared towards couples (though our room was for 3...)

Overall, great place to stay with tuk tuk drivers readily available outside the hotel, but very much geared towards couples (they advertise themselves as gay-friendly which we did not realise until too late), so made it a little awkward for 3 straight females staying in a room together.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank limwenyi

Dear "Good value for money"

Thanks for your feedback and your review. It is always good to hear that guest appreciate our place. Just a few things to respond. You mentioned that you stayed in a room with a glass door for the shower. Our experience is that most guest like that more on a holiday so we have that in a few rooms, but we also do have many rooms with frosted glass. Our staff should have asked you for that because you were with three people, sorry that we didn’t.
Our restaurant won many prizes, 'silver in Cambodian cooking competition, best chef" 2013 and we represented Cambodia in the international cook-off in Vietnam two months ago. Our kitchen is known for its outstanding International and Khmer dishes. I am not sure why you recommend people not to eat with us. Did you try? Next time I would like to invite you for a lunch or dinner.
We are a gay friendly resort and welcome everyone to stay with us. We always have a great mix of people and that’s what we like. Three girls in a room? We don’t think that’s any awkward, I hope you don’t either. Its great to stay with your friends with us.
Dirk de Graaff

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Rambutan together w our relatives who were in town for a visit (total 3 rooms for 4 days). We had our toddlers w us (4yo & 1yo) during our stay. Staff were friendly and helpful especially w my kids. The only downside was the balcony n walkway was drenched wet after the rain n it was hard to walk back to our rooms. Very very slippery n wet. Our rooms were on the 1st floor facing the pool.

Breakfast in the morning was excellent n healthy. Pancakes are highly recommended. We still visit there for breakfast from time to time.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family