“Perfect budget option”

Ranked #90 of 327 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Perfect budget option”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

This is a small family run Irish bar with accommodation. The bar closes early so isn't an issue if you like an early night, it's in a great location and the staff are all very helpful. We really felt at home here, our room wasn't one of their best but it was clean and comfortable at an excellent prove for PP. We came for 2 nights and are still here...

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank AnnaTallulah

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sihanoukville, Cambodia
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I arrived in Phomn Phen on a personal business trip and stayed at the first hotel came to in in the central. After a couple of days of being a bit stressed I came across the Irish Place for a drink and to wind down. I am so glad I did.
Next day I moved from my hotel and stayed at the Irish Place for 5 days.
The staff (Victoria, Pat, Shifty, and the other guy i forget his name, my apologises) were amazing with service, helpfulness and politeness. Staying at the Irish Place helped make my task in PP more enjoyable. Even the local guys and ex-pats took timeout to take me sightseeing.
The Irish Place is situated in a good location centrally, away from the crud area, but within walking distance of the Royal Palace and the waterfront. There was a good choice of food available on the menu and standard room price.
In short, I am returning to Phnom Phen in May, this time on holiday, and will be staying at the Irish Place again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank missAlisonGraham
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Things didn't start of to good when they couldn't find our reservation from Agoda. But things went downhill from there. We got our room, and it was really filthy and uncomfortable. The fridge smelled like a morgue, and at night the noise from the street was so loud that it was not possible to sleep. I'm afraid that we had got our hopes up due to the nice tripadvisor score, so I guess backpackers will have a good time here. When we checked out we met one of the owners and he was really nice and polite, so I guess this is a nice place to combine sleeping and drinking. (First floor is a bar:)

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Birger S
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

We only stayed for one night on the way to Sihanoukville, if we had stayed more we would of asked for a different room. I think we probably had the worst one there, number 6( which I had seen previous reviews about). The room was clean, the bed was terrible, you could feel the springs of the mattress digging into you and the pillow was like a sandbag!Also no mirror and no bin and we were only given one towel.In the morning when went to shower in the morning there was no water what so ever.
On the plus side, the people were nice and was good to meet people at the bar in the evening.
We didn't eat there so can't comment on the food but heard its good, location is good,about 5 minute walk to the river and the markets.
Would we stay here again , probably not,theres better places for the same price.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Krabi Town, Thailand
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This place was great. We showed up early morning and despite not being check-in time yet they got us into our room in 10 minutes. We ate some great food here, received excellent tips about Phnom Penh and Cambodia in general, and spent several nights enjoying beers with the staff and locals. I can't say we got as much as sleep as we should have while staying here, but an enjoyable and memorable place. Also, the wifi was excellent in the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for the balcony room if available.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Bayside, California, United States
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I just spent 4 nights at The Irish Place- and had such a great time. Our room was the first floor balcony room- #4. It was a very large room with lots of light, a big bed, tv , AirCon, and a small icy fridge. More than enough for a comfortable stay.

What really makes this place special is the owner and staff. They are lovely and immediately all felt like dear friends. The customers are the same way- it's a fun crowd to share a pint with after a day of touring. They have lots of recommendations and are more than open to questions if you need some pointers about PP and beyond.

And the food is great! The fish and chips were the best I've had in over a year of traveling- but all the food I had there was tasty with large portions and good prices.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy S
Jeju, South Korea
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I made a reservation via Agoda and sent them a facebook message and email but hadn't heard back from them before I landed in Cambodia. I took a chance on a late Christmas night arrival and just showed up. I am ever so glad I did. I was greeted with a hug from Victoria and an offer for a cold beer while she went to get a room ready. This is my kind of service!

The location is great. I liked being away from the western, touristy sections, but it was still merely a 5 minute walk away from the Riverfront and the Night-market. The only food I ate was the breakfast and I have no complaints. Enough food to get your day started.

The rooms are simple and no fuss. I did ask to be moved from my first room as there was a smell that is hard to describe, but wasn't pleasant. The second room was just fine for my needs. The beds are large, clean and comfortable. My bathroom did have a mirror which I appreciated as the first room did not. My recommendation, just ask to see the room they are going to put you in! No fuss, no worries and for $12 it was more than fine!

What I really appreciated about this place was the service, staff (especially Victoria) and the cast of characters that can be found on the bar stools at any given time. As a solo traveler this was the perfect place to sip on a beer and engage in random story telling with my fellow imbibers. You can find cheap, adequate guesthouses all throughout Phnom Phen. You cannot find an experience like the one you will get here though. I am pretty confident when I say, I will be back. Perhaps next time it will be to move there!

Room Tip: Might be best to avoid Room 6. I heard there were rooms with balconies but I didn't see them...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo