“As expected and can get better”

Bougainvillier Hotel
Ranked #66 of 269 Hotels in Phnom Penh
“As expected and can get better”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Stayed for 2 days here at the suite room- the best they had. Before going on to pros and cons please understand certain aspects of the hotel. Its a 3 star riverfront hotel- kindly dont expect a pool or a gym. Now going over the pros
- lovely stay- great staff, fluent english, prompt service
- lovely interiors both in and out of the room- very old world khmer feel
- superb location - couldnt get any better. My balcony opened to the river
- the biggest room i have had at abt 100 usd/night - easily 500 sqft
- breakfast buffet is ok - nothing memorable but certainly suitable to the western palette

Cons- the list is short. Few things I noted and even wrote a feedback about

- no elevator. Not fun if u have danced all night, had a bit of alcohol and expected to climb 3 flights stairs -> they hv some elevator work going on, maybe up soon

- at the start of stairs, they have a staff toilet tht smells utterly terrible. Could surely ask for better maintainence there (unless its intentional to wake up drunk guests with ammonia)

- your best room and you dont provide toothbrush to your guest? I did call and was told i would be charged 7 usd for a toothbrush...erm....? Certainly the management could find other wYs of making money.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Bernard M, Owner at Bougainvillier Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Guest.
Thank you for your useful report. I' Bernard owner of Bougainvillier Hotel. My GM Ms Rindy called me two weeks ago to inform me about the smell we have downstairs near the staff locker room. When they construct the building 10 years ago they put in the ground at that place a septic tank. Now is raining season and this year have already a lot of water witch causes a pb with this tank. We are working with the engineer to find a solution to this pb as fast as possible.
When we provide the amenities in the room we take care not to give some disposable plastics. That why we don't provide tooth brush and shavers. You can buy at the reception a tooth brush together with tooth past. we will not make any money out of this and you can keep it for the rest of your trip. The price for both should be around $2.50. I will check the price again with the GM. As well we don t put plastic bags in the garbage bean but use the old news papers. We try to take care as much as possible for the environment. for this reason we also install solar water heaters on our roof top and change all the lights with led' s.
Thank you for taking time to give us your review and suggestions .
Respectfully yours
Bernard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 30 June 2013

we loved our stay there , very stylish rooms , top location on the river front , the staff were excellent , very polite and helpful . Our room was really nice and large with all the ameneties and furnishings. being on the river front there is a lot of night life and restaurants nearby , would stay again .

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Bernard M, Owner at Bougainvillier Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Alice,
Thank you so much to send us your review. We are happy you liked and hotel and services. We would be happy to see you in your next trip ti Phnom Penh,
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I live in Phnom Penh and I usually send my friends who visit the country at the Bougainvillier. It is located on the riverside, where the activity is. It is at walking distance of the Royal Palace, the night market and to all the restaurants. The French restaurant downstairs is something you don't want to miss (see my other review) and the view on the river from the pizzeria upstairs is stunning.
Of course, if you take a room on by the river, you should take one with the river view... The suite are decorated with ancient furniture and statues and they have a balcony.
As some reviewers said, there is no swimming pool in the hotel. You have to walk to an other hotel nearby. But I never been there. Otherwise, if you really need a bath you can jump on the Mekong, it is right in front of you.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank FPG-Ghiso
Dear valued customer,
Thank you so much to send us your review. We are happy you liked and hotel and services as well as our restaurants. We would be happy to see you in your next trip ti Phnom Penh,
Torquay, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2013

The hotel had lost our booking, luckily I had my ipad with me and could show them the booking confirmation and the rate quoted for a superior room with river view. They then lost the key to our room, so we were put into another room that we were told was the same as the other rooms (we had stayed in 2010 and this was nothing like it). Finally they found our key. The room was clean with good air-con, no problems with hot water etc. breakfast included was good. Views from balcony amazing. Front desk staff not very friendly and owner down right rude, in the seven nights we stayed he never once said hello even when greeted by us. This was the same as 2010 where he never acknowledged us. My recommendation is to stay at the new quay hotel next door where prices equal or better and they have an elevator.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay choose the front rooms with a river view, or have a look at the quay hotel nex...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christine H
Bernard M, Owner at Bougainvillier Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Dear Guest. Thank you for coming back at Bougainvillier Hotel.
I m Bernard and the owner of this hotel. I am a really friendly guy as you can meet a lot in Cambodia and respect very much my customers who are my boss. I am never in my Hotel and my office is far away from there, My hotel is managed by a Khmer lady who is the General Manager. So I really rarely meet my dear guests witch I appreciate a lot because without them my company could not work and could not give a job to my 80 staffs.
But you seem to know a lot about the hotel next door hotel (which is a nice hotel owned by an Australian guy) and that you advertise in your review on my hotel page.
Thank you so much for you comment.
Sincerely yours.
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I went there in 2011 and loved it then. Came back, and staff remembered me. Still amazing. Waiters on roof top restaurant also remembered me.
Rooms are large, and nicely decorated. Wifi is working great, and is free of charge.
Very recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank NinaIH
Dear Nina,
Thank you so much to send us your review. We are happy you liked and hotel and services as well as our restaurant. We are very happy you came back to Bougainvillier and hope you next trip to Phnom Penh will guide you aa\gain to our hotel
Australia
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I booked this hotel with all good faith that what is described was true. How wrong I was. I paid top dollar for the " Superior Suite With Garden " only to be told on arrival that they shut that part of the building down during low season. We were given the Superior Suite in the main building but no refund was given for the difference in room price which should have been around $80. To compensate us we were given a free drink each upstairs. I also booked this hotel as they stated it had a pool which was yet another lie. There is a pool available at another hotel. We also had a room booked here 5 days later after our trip south but couldn't cancel as We would have lost that money as well because it was inside the 7 day policy.
So when we returned we stayed in a "Deluxe Room" which overlooked a tin roof at the back of the hotel with steel bars over the windows which would be a definite fire hazard. Breakfast was ok but nothing outstanding as we found the restaurant hot and uncomfortable even at that hour of the morning and you have to track the "Egg Boys" down.
All that said we didn't have any dramas climbing the stairs to our room or to the rooftop bar wich was great the times we were up there. The airconditioners were capable of keeping the rooms comfortable.
Best Tip - if travelling to Cambodia in Low Season don't bother booking ahead as you'll get cheaper rooms by just turning up rather than booking online.

Room Tip: Book a superior suite so at least you get a view
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wayne R
Bernard M, Owner at Bougainvillier Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Dear guest thank you so much for your review.
I m surprised because your voucher did no t show you booked a suit with garden but a superior suite facing the river. By the way the prices of both are exactly the same. Please check our website. We give you the suit and rooms according to your reservation. If you book a suit you get a suit if you book a room you get a room. During low season we fix all the rooms and the suite with gardens were not advertised on the web site you booked so you could not reserve them. As we cannot built the swimming in our building witch is not strong enough we give you a free voucher to the swimming pool next our hotel. Our breakfast has 38 different items or dishes hot or cold. Yes there are some cheaper hotels in the streets behind but not three or four stars and not on the river front. Thank you so much for your review.
Kind regards
Bernard Matter.
Owner
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2013

WARNING - long review - because I felt it was really worth it!

I was very hesitant to book this hotel, as the reviews here on tripadvisor range from absolutely perfect to incredibly appalling. But I took the plunge, risked paying more for a river-view suite and I have not looked back (I just gazed down and out across the river!). I had a fabulous stay of 4 nights (supported with my own photos) and I can’t understand whether people who wrote nasty reviews here just had a bad day, wanted river views (but wouldn’t pay the extra), had far too high an expectation, were too lazy to climb some stairs or just had a run of bad luck.

The hotel location is unbeatable, my room (309A) was decorated elegantly with lots of Cambodian silk, beautiful wood carvings and artwork. The room was huge, decorative cornices, comfortable 4-poster bed, great pillows, everything worked (air con, hot water, fan, toilets, cable TV, super fast internet) I was given 4 bottles of free drinking water daily (yes FOUR bottles – never had that anywhere), and of course fresh linen and towels. The room was setup by the housekeeping team perfectly every day, with scattered throw pillows arranged and all the small table lamps around the room switched on, so when I came “home” each day and inserted my key, the room’s appearance gave me that “as new” feeling again, illuminated in the lamps’ soft tones. The cleaning time varied from 11am to 3pm, that’s standard, but if you have a preference, I am sure the reception will organise the staff to clean at a convenient time.

Smiles? Heaps of them. On arrival I got a smile and my cold towel and welcome drink. The door boy/security would leap up to open the hotel’s front door for me (flashing a big toothy grin), the lady/girls at reception always said Hi, Good Morning, How was your day? etc when I passed by. At breakfast the waitress always took my buffet coupon with a smile, the egg boys (I met two of them) both smiled and were extremely polite. And the buffet had a choice of cornflakes, muesli, breads, pastries, pancakes, chicken curry, pasta, fried rice, stir fried vegetables, sausages, baked beans, bacon, eggs (however you like it), fruit, juice, tea and coffee. Menu was very thorough. Some claimed it was just "Ok". Strange. And the downstairs restaurant is beautiful with more carvings, dark wicker chairs, white table cloths, etc.

I was very happy throughout my stay at a bit less than a $100 a night (mid 2013 prices) and would absolutely recommend Bouganvillier Hotel to my friends and even my 79 year old mother who has loved all the pics I’ve sent through on Whatsapp. Don’t expect a “Raffles Hotel” standard of everything, as found in Singapore (as this is Cambodia) but this hotel has a similar historical, quaint charm about it (but without the silly Raffles prices).

In Phnom Penh, there are lots of narrow buildings and they can be up to 7 storeys tall (without lifts) so be warned. Some people have complained Bouganvillier has no lift. My room was on the third floor, I am 50, not really that fit and I survived just fine (even my mother would be ok). The building has a square (spiral type) terrazzo staircase, with 7 or 8 stairs on each of the three sides between each floor. There is a good size landing at each turn and a super strong handrail to hold onto, should you need it. Steps are a good size and not silly or differing heights (as can be found in a lot of Asia) so it’s really not that much of a drama. Some reviewers claim you must be an Olympian. Crap! Request a lower floor room then. An older lady who I met on my flight (who lives in Phnom Penh) said she goes there for sunset cocktails and pizza with her friends – so it can’t be that much of a killer staircase if even the locals go there.

One negative (for some) will be that the room safety box was very small, enough for only really a camera, wallet and travel documents. Nowadays many people travel with a tablet or small laptop, so that could be looked at in the future by management. But the rooms are extremely secure and I am confident they are safe, even without a safety box; it’s more just for peace of mind.

And yes the pool is just around the corner at a neighbouring hotel. Not a big drama is it?

I feel my review is fair and honest – perhaps if future reviewers have a bad experience at this hotel, ask if it was you? Did you smile and have a pleasant attitude? Did you go down to breakfast on time? Did you pay for a river view room? If something didn’t work, did U request to change rooms or ask to have it attended to promptly? I found all the staff friendly and most agreeable, but I guess there are things that go wrong sometimes and the local young men and women working here can only do what they can to help. Remember this is also a small boutique hotel – so be reasonable of your expectations and most importantly in Asia, never lose your temper (it’s not cool at all – and far too hot in Cambodia anyway, to get all hot under the collar).

Room Tip: River view rooms are the best (you pay more). And cool (my room had 2 aircon units). Great to watc...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank antonyaus
Dear Antonyaus
Thank you so much to send us your review. We are happy you liked and hotel and services as well as our restaurant. We would be happy to see you in your next trip to Phnom Penh and make you feel happy again