River-Star Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Lyon d'Or(Phnom Penh)
  • Breakfast included
Chi Cha Hotel(Phnom Penh)
  • Restaurant
Lance Court Hotel(Phnom Penh)
View Hotel
Le Grand Mekong(Phnom Penh)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrooms are largenight lifewalking distancemekong riverreception staffriverfronthairdryer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Ugh, leaving here today and will never look back! Staff is irritating and all of them just want to swindle you. Always lying, changing their story etc, looking to pocket an extra buck from you whenever possible. I don't mind losing an extra $1 here or there but the dishonesty of everyone working here is REALLY getting under my skin. Don't let them get you a tuktuk or plan any trips or anything, they will cheat you, guaranteed. Everyone else in Cambodia had been great and helpful, but not this staff!!!! Should have stayed somewhere else but was eager to crash somewhere, take the extra time to do your research!

Oh and rooms are infested with roaches and mosquitos, but truthfully that was the least of my worried here. Eat across the street, much nicer staff and better food. At least we enjoyed the views.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Travel to a foreign country always requires patience and a passion for adventure. The River Star is a true journey back in time. Sure it has seen better days but the staff is nice and works so hard to please. There is one common free computer in the lobby to use but I always got mosquito bites there. The fans didn't hit the area under the computer desk and I was fresh meat for them. I would recommend checking out tour operators around the area before committing yourself or being led by the touts in the area. Most important, it's clean and safe. The rooms are large and the toilets flush. Nothing fancy but the rooms in the front are hugh but noisy. Small Cambodian television with some occasional soccer matches. The travelers who frequent this area are fun to meet and hang with, always sharing travel stories. Great fun. Cambodia is a city still in transition from total horror. The people are happy for these times and the country is moving upward slowly. It's located on the river, and good or bad sits on a very busy seaside road. But you are in the heart of a very colorful area with all the services you may require. The rooms are large and the feel of the hotel is positive. It's not a 5 star fancy hotel but it tries hard and I'm never disappointed. Remember this isn't the 3rd world but the 4th world and Cambodia is going thru growing pains. Phnom Penh sits between two major tourist sites. North is the fun city of Siam Reap and Ankor Wat which is a true wonder of the world. South lies the Cambodian coast and islands around Sihanoukville. The location of the Riverview and Phnom Penh between the two makes usually a return at some point to Phnom Penh so I enjoy returning to this hotel. I would however bring a lock and cable to store baggage in storage while travelling. I wish the hotel reads this and offers more secure organized baggage storage. I've never lost anything but had a scare the last visit as what was where? Luggage was moved and to different rooms for safekeeping. Returning to your hotel and searching for your pack is a drag. But as a general travel rule and not slamming this hotel. Bring a lock and cable as they always come in handy on the road. NEVER lose sight of your packs anywhere. NEVER leave them out in the lobby for storage later. ALWAYS physically supervise the moving, locking and storage of luggage and packs yourself with the hotel staff. Insist on it or don't leave it! The exciting circus of the street scene is all about you, as are the restaurants and the bar scene which lies one block away. Taxi hires for both short or long runs are right outside the hotel. Bargain hard. Hire taxis to the death camps of the killing fields take 40 minutes and the infamous S-21 Prison is not to be missed. It will affect you and make a person really respect life more. The River-star Hotel is walking distance to the Russian market and a pleasure to walk the strand by the riverside. River tours are also handy to catch. But a person always has a memory from every place traveled. I remember sitting on the balcony or sitting on a bench by the river and watching the river life go by. A wonderful memory. The somewhat wild west of Phnom Penh isn't for everyone but it's for me. If you want total luxury and perfection, stay home. Travel is adventure.

Room Tip: The views and fresh breeze from the upper floor room balcony's are wonderful plus the distance upward lessens the noisy street traffic. Traveling to Asia I always try to take a floor between 3-5. Fire ladders won't go higher than that.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 November 2012

This hotel location is fantastic because its so convenient. It is walking distance to the Saturday night market and where all the happenings in Phnom Penh at. For a night life or party goers, this is the place where you want to be in Phnom Penh. not the hotel but the location.

The hotel I must say, decent room. Toilet is clean, bed was very big and for twin sharing room the room was actually very spacious. Although they should upgrade on the furniture because it looks old but then I have no complain as long as it is clean room. Besides the location, the hotel is actually decent place to stay for budget traveller.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 September 2012

There are many hotels of this caliber around this area of PP so I tend to try a different one each time I come. When I arrived in town I was a bit tired and when the tuk-tuk driver directed me to this place (after I specified my budget and favoured location) I had a quick look and moved in.

It's not a particularly nice place but it met my needs of being cheap and near the riverside. Room was a windowless box which is ideal for me as I didn't want the sun disturbing my non-standard sleep patterns. The kitchen seemed professionally equipped although I did not eat there and the staff were helpful.

The main drawback for me was no in-room safe. They had some wooden lockers at reception with a motley array of padlocks (who knows who else has a key or knows the combination to my lock?).

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank zipfish
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Saw $17 rooms advertised on agoda, so managed to bargain for a nice room with 2 small double beds, little window, big bathroom, big room (and then didn't have to pay agoda fees!)
Had great stay, good central location on river, friendly staff, free wifi and computer, good breakfast and Illy coffee. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple