“Nowadays just a hostess bar”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Phnom Penh
DV8 Bar and Guesthouse
Ranked #167 of 334 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I was a bit peeved when their sign said that a pool table would be available while this was in fact not the case. Angkor draft beer was available at the standard hostess bar rate of $1.50. The hostesses were pretty and fairly friendly, willing to play bar games with you. Drinks for the staff cost $3. If you just wanted to watch television, they had two televisions one showing international sports and one showing local news.

I would not hesitate to visit again, if I happen to be again in Phnom Penh.

Room Tip: No rooms available...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank the_goodsoil_family

Reviewed 3 September 2011

A group of us called in for a drink purely by chance. It was early at 6pm but they put the air conditioning on for us and served us cold beers. My partner wanted to get her hair done and having just arrived in town didn't know where to go. One of the girls took her to a hairdresser and went back to collect her when she was finished. Great service, very friendly staff and cold beers. Couldn't ask for more. Love this place!

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank Peter B
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I stopped by here to check on a room, based on Tripadvisor's listing, after my reservation at Waterview guesthouse was inexplicably lost, and found myself homeless.

I discovered that they no longer have guesthouses here, however the place was one of the cleanest and nicest bars have have been to in P.P., and the workers there were super nice and friendly. I absolutely recommend popping in here for a drink and to chat the folks there up. It looked (and smelled) as though it had recently been painted and remodeled inside. Very nice.

Room Tip: No more rooms available
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank inspectorjavert70
Reviewed 10 July 2008

There's absolutely no reason to stay at this place.

Rooms were very dirty. Hair in the bathroom, used condom in the trashcan when I checked in. One of the floor tiles in the bedroom was wet all the time...when you stepped on it, it squished, and bled water up onto the floor. You soon learn not to step on that one.

Very low ceilings - about 6 feet 2.5 inches, in my room - my hair brushed the ceiling. Some parts were even lower, so I banged my head a lot.

It's on the river road, so it's walking distance to a lot of bars, restaraunts, and a good ATM...but $15/night is average for the area, and there are lots of better places to stay.

It's a "hostess bar," so to get to your room, you have to walk through the bar (being greeted by all the hopeful hostesses), pick up your room key from the bartender, and then go back past the "VIP Room," the bathroom, and the kitchen, and then start taking stairs upward. And up and up and up...

If you REALLY do want to stay at a hostess bar, get Room 8. The second floor has a pool table and bar, and Room 8 is sort of on floor 2.5 - it has big windows that look into that pool room, as if the room was intended to be a superviser's office or something. And those windows are tinted, so when the lights are on in the pool room, you can watch all the hostesses doing their makeup and hanging out while they can't see you. Pervy people say hey-ey!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
5  Thank Reymont
Reviewed 29 October 2005

When I'm in Phnom Penh, I usually stay at the bigger Hotels, but just for a change I thought I'd meet the real people, you know not the ones from UNICEF or Hollywood. Dropped by a small guesthouse/hotel located on a side street near the riverfront just to mingle. Had a look around, very nice place - but not quite the Le Royal. Near the riverfront and the rooms are underpriced. If you're passing by drop in, great value and the bar is a good way to kill a few hours in the heat of the day.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled on business
4  Thank Angelina_Jolie_III
A TripAdvisor Member
Bangkok
Reviewed 30 July 2005

I was looking for a budget guesthouse near the riverfront. Some of the places I looked at that were mentioned in the LP were old and run down. My first night in Phnom Penh I visited DV8 for a drink, I had heard it was a good relaxiing bar with female company that weren't pushy. The girls turned out to be great to talk to no hassle for drinks and some of them play pool really well. I found out they also had rooms and took a look at a couple of them. New clean and comfortable, even the $5USD room was nice, a little short on height but I sleep lying down so it's not much of an issue. The $8 and $10 rooms are much better value if you're going to stay.

Next day I moved to DV8. Stayed the rest of my visit and recommend it if you don't mind having a bunch of beautiful girls hanging out with you.

• Stayed: July 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed 9 February 2005

I recently stayed here and found the rooms to be some of the best I'd stayed in in Phnom Penh for the rate's. On my first visit I stayed in teh $10/night room which had a king sized bed and clean shower and toilet, I didn't need the aircon. The second time around the I stayed in the really big $15 room, it was huge. This room is on the third floor and with the Open the doors onto the balcony, sit out there and drink a few beers watching the locals go about their business in the local market (Psar Kandal). It's still new and so the rooms were clean.

Nice bar down stairs and good music, they had a lot of Mp3 music on thier computer and so I swapped some of my MP3's with theirs.

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member