“Excellent New Property”
Review of Anise Villa

Anise Villa
Ranked #11 of 274 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Excellent location in a cul de sac with only local traffic - salubrious area with some diplomatic residences close by. Its very residential so you will need transport to visit tourist sites and riverside but the trade off is the tranquility

Newly opened and really friendly helpful staff - the GM Sophal is omni present and always ready to help and offer advice. Lots of nice touches like near the entry/departure gate is a sign board detailing recommended prices for tuk tuks to various locations - very helpful for those not familiar with tuk tuk prices or adverse to bargining

Rooms are fine -with good walk in showers

F&B is surprisingly good for a hotel of this size - passion fruit juice and Mama's dumplings are to die for .
there is in house massage which is excellent - understand the staff are from Mr and Miss Care massage which is also owned by the hotel

Despite the location which might deter first time visitors I would throughly recommend staying

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 March 2014

This new hotel is really nice but really too far from the city center.
You have nothing around this area. You can choose to walk in direction street 278 (around 15mn and dangerous at night around street 400) or take a tuk tuk to go to the river.
The service was fine but the room decoration is a mix between khmer and modern strange.
Was ok for the rates (special opening rates) but the future rates are much too much expensive!
I will prefer to go in a hotel with a better location for my next visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank germaninaustralia
AniseHotel, Owner at Anise Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Germaninaustralia,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Anise Villa with us and we are glad that the quality of our facilities and service has met your expectations.

The Anise Villa is located in the city center near embassies and NGOs in one of the more upscale neighborhood in Phnom Penh, so security is actually less of an issue here. The Rambutan Resort, the Frangipani Hotel and the Governor’s House are all within a couple of blocks from us. As frequent visitors already know, Phnom Penh’s cityscape is changing day by day and there are a numbers of others restaurants, stores that have opened complementing the existing ones around our hotel.

As for the artwork at the Anise Villa, our private collection of modern Cambodian art includes a large number of work by Sopheap Pich who is considered to be Cambodia’s most prominent contemporary artist and whose work can be found at the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Guggenheim. Still, as the saying goes, art is a matter of taste…. I guess...

From all your reviews on Tripadvisor, we are sorry that you did not enjoy any of the places you stayed at or visited in Phnom Penh. While most visitors love Phnom Penh for its small size and its quaintness despite the rapid development that is going on now in the city, for others who are unused to the seemingly chaotic nature of Asian cities, it can sometimes be a difficult place to navigate. We hope you will give Phnom Penh another chance on another trip.

All the best,
Anise Villa Management and Staff

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Phnom Penh is a very busy, noisy city and the new Anise Villa Boutique Hotel on street 400 provides a moment of calm and relaxation. Happy hour cocktails can be enjoyed in the walled garden and pool area. The rooms were very comfortable and the staff superlative. Always friendly, helpful with our faltering attempts to speak Khmer, and there is a wide range of breakfasts included with the price of the room. As the hotel is not in the main tourist area it is more quiet and conducive to a good night's sleep, We would thoroughly recommend anyone passing through Phnom Penh to stay at the new Anise.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I spent six weeks working in Phnom Penh. Anise Villa is lovely and I can and did recommend it to others who have since stayed there. The staff made me feel welcome and did their best to fill both my business and personal needs and requests. My room was spacious with a very comfortable bed. The excellent breakfasts and the five pieces of laundry daily which were included were greatly appreciated.

The hotel was a bit out of the city - the positive side of that was a quiet environment. The downside was that every time I wanted to eat elsewhere during the six weeks, it was a $3 tuk-tuk ride each way downtown. This I hadn't expected since my correspondence with the hotel prior to my arrival promised a free shuttle to and from their sister hotel near Independence Monument, much more centrally located. Since my original reservation at the downtown location would have required me to change rooms midway through my stay, I was offered the Villa as an alternative with this perk which was denied. On the positive side, when my reservation was changed, I was upgraded to a mini-suite, a room with a kitchenette. The room wasn't yet completely outfitted when I arrived. During my stay, they added a gas cooktop (but no pots), a full length mirror, a chair for the patio and then a patio table -- both of the latter disappearing near the end of my stay and seen on the patio outside a second floor room. I was able to laugh at the quirkiness, and fully enjoyed my home away from home, but someone accustomed to a well-established hotel with full business services might be less pleased.

Room Tip: This hotel is a walk up so if your room is on the third floor, you'll have daily exercise. I tho...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed at Anise Villa at the beginning of a two year stint as volunteers in Phnom Penh. The facilities were great - clean, spacious, good food and very friendly staff. We were learning how to speak Khmer and the staff were fantastic, helping us and putting up with our many and varied attempts while encouraging us all the way. We had a short trip away and have come back to a very warm and welcoming reception. We would definitely recommend Anise Villa to anyone visiting Phnom Penh.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Libby W
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

I spent three nights here split between two rooms, both were really nice with all of the comforts you would expect in a Western hotel. My friend stayed in a third room which was really cool with mats and pillows on either side of a huge platform king size bed frame built into the architecture, perfect for watching one of the dvds available in the lobby on the in room DVD player!

The complimentary breakfast was really good and made more enjoyable by the poolside dining area surrounded by a lovely garden and overhanging flowers and trees. The menu has an amazing mango crumble dessert with kampot pepper that is unique and delicious.

The staff was friendly and very helpful! I really have no complaints except they were fully booked on what would have been my fourth night.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We loved our stay at Anise Villa. Although the tuk-tuk driver had some problems finding the way, when we arrived Anise Villa we didn't regret it for one second. Warm and welcoming staff who provided us whith everything we needed, nice and big rooms, a beautiful pool area and a great spa. It was the perfect place to stay after sightseeing in busy Phnom Penh. The breakfast included was also great and a drink by the pool in the evening is highly recomended. There is no elevator in the building, but the staff help you carrying all our luggage, so that was no problem. It's located in a quiet area, away from the hustle and bustle in the streets. The spa offes great value for money. Free drycleaning of 5 items a day topped it off:)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple